DOOM

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Anyone who also gives the game a fucking zero is equally full of crap.
That's why metacritic gamer scores are bullshit. On one hand you have shills trying to boost the scores by giving games 10's and the other you have a bunch of pissy little twats giving games a 0 because they think they either think they are counter-balancing the 10's, which just shows they suck at math, or because they are fanboys of other games or companies. Doom is not a 10, by any stretch, but it's certainly not a fucking 0 either.

Column_sl

shitlord
There's a bunch of negatives in the game - and ign is right it is repetitive - but I think the positives outweigh the negs. I sound like a shill for the game but I'm enjoykng it. I'm sad you can't speed run it like the old ones.
Every game is repetitive, the point is how boring it becomes. Doom really never becomes boring, between the challenges, and level lay out.

You could possibly nitpick the execution system, but it's really there to make you aggressive.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think my problem with the repetitiveness is what IGN said - kill rooms. Essentially every level is you moving from kill room to kill room where you have to clear it to move on. AFAIK the original games were not like that. I don't like constraints like that. Once in awhile is fine, but that's the whole game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its true, but they fixed the biggest single issue in modern shooters, which is the linear corridor syndrome that they all suffer from, so I'm willing to give them a pass on that.

I tried to play just now and I got hit with the dev mode bug, so had to wipe my progress and reverify game files through steam. Waiting for that to finish, then I have to start over. I was only to level 3 though, so its not that big a deal.

Been playing Stellaris too much.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love the kill rooms personally--that's what makes the campaign fun for me. I get what you're saying, though. Being held down to a room because you have to kill every last demon that is going to spawn isn't very fluid. I think the arenas most of them are held in are great though. The structures, the jumps, the teleporters all contribute to a pretty dynamic experience most of the time and you're not just circling demons while your rocket launcher locks on all of the time. So while you definitely go, "whelp, I just picked up that key, I guess it's time for another shitstorm!", I think they've done a good job of making it a fun shitstorm to blow through.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I got 11 games for 40 bucks, so I'm not complaining as much as I should, but I stand by my point way earlier that Ut is right about most of this stuff.

This game is nothing special, in fact if I didn't get 11 games for 40 bucks I'd be furious. Not 0-69 furious, but this game is a 75 for me at best. If I got digistructed into the game and the art was tweaked (and it can be), I'd swear it was Borderlands. Except without the customization, the weapons, the story, the voice work, the soundtrack, and of course....the fucking multiplayer. There's nothing new here, and I'm not pissing in cheerios. By the way, some of you fuckwads tore apart Wolfenstein while I was defending it. Wolfenstein was better than this.... and it had a story, and it was much longer. Both have 0 replayability though and without MP what's the fucking point of a FPS without a story or something new? They turned weapon mods and armor upgrades into long boring "Features" with "Suck 200 dicks" or "Kill 200 mobs!" as big parts of the game. Seriously? That's insulting. Those are called achievements, or like the aforementioned Borderlands did made it a tertiary part of their game, not basically...the only form of advancement.

edit: And I don't see a lot of posts on the AI, why is that? You god damn know why.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
^^ The AI was horrendous. But I guess since it has the Doom name and all the other Doom games had horrible AI that it should just be like this (along with the content/story/mechanics) until Christ comes back (No pun intended)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the AI is just mediocre - nothing great but not awful.

Jait want to bet on some metacritic scores?

xzi

Mouthbreather
I can see how somebody can give the game like a 7 or 8 instead of a 10. The full game itself, including MP and SM, would deserve that score. The single player experience though is what I WANT in FPS games and I feel like deserves the praise it's been getting. The rest of the package... eh

Also I started fucking around seeing how fast I can go on the easiest mode and it's laughable. I feel like you're doing yourself a disservice of playing this game on the easiest mode, but hey I guess also not getting 1shot is fun lmao

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The whole scoring system is garbage. People give 7's and even 8's to shit that is completely mediocre, especially the reviewing sites. You even see it here. Some people gush at everything. Some people shit on just about everything. Most are in between.

These days if I have no clue about a title and I see a score of 7 I pretty much just skip it because it's more than likely a 5 or lower for me. Game reviews have been so inflated over the years they have lost all meaning. The only thing you can really do is develop your own baseline based on mass user reviews or a few people here that you share opinions with and go from there. This is where gamefly helps for those non day 1 buy titles. Low cost and low risk. Cancel anytime. Let the mediocre games build up and sign up a couple of times a year (first month for $1 promo) for a few month to clear out the back log.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I got 11 games for 40 bucks, so I'm not complaining as much as I should, but I stand by my point way earlier that Ut is right about most of this stuff.

This game is nothing special, in fact if I didn't get 11 games for 40 bucks I'd be furious. Not 0-69 furious, but this game is a 75 for me at best. If I got digistructed into the game and the art was tweaked (and it can be), I'd swear it was Borderlands. Except without the customization, the weapons, the story, the voice work, the soundtrack, and of course....the fucking multiplayer. There's nothing new here, and I'm not pissing in cheerios. By the way, some of you fuckwads tore apart Wolfenstein while I was defending it. Wolfenstein was better than this.... and it had a story, and it was much longer. Both have 0 replayability though and without MP what's the fucking point of a FPS without a story or something new? They turned weapon mods and armor upgrades into long boring "Features" with "Suck 200 dicks" or "Kill 200 mobs!" as big parts of the game. Seriously? That's insulting. Those are called achievements, or like the aforementioned Borderlands did made it a tertiary part of their game, not basically...the only form of advancement.

edit: And I don't see a lot of posts on the AI, why is that? You god damn know why.
1) Dunno wtf you're on about with the "It's like Borderlands, but completely different" rant. Makes no sense to me, really. It doesn't look, feel, play in any way, shape, or form like Borderlands.
2) Wolfenstein was another excellent shooter, it wasn't "much longer" though. A full completion run is almost identical in each and Doom is about an hour shorter in just a regular playthrough.
3) Weapon and Armor mods are given at Field Drones, which require finding them...that's it. We playing the same game?
4) Mastery Challenges are what require killing things in certain way and giving you bonuses for mastering your weapons. They are neither long nor boring, with most of them requiring you to kill 5 enemies or so. Even the worst up that count to 20-30, nothing close to 200.
5) The AI is nothing special, but AI rarely is anything special. Wolfensteins AI was a total shitshow AFTER they fixed it in a patch, before it was some of the worst I've ever seen in a video game. Dooms AI is actually better because while it's not smart at least the enemies know you are there long before you are right on top of them.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
This game scratches an itch. I want to play wolfenstein again but I want to skip the story shit this time around because I just enjoyed blasting shit in the setting.

I do kind of want some Doom levels that aren't just kill rooms though.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The enemies in this game don't need to be smart. They just need to be able to provide a challenge. I am not looking for flanking tactics when I'm wading through demons with the shotgun.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>

"if literally every part of the game were changed except for shooting things it would be just like borderlands." - Jait 2016

Not everything needs to be new or innovative. Sometimes it's OK just to make things to be fun.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I got this in today and played through the first couple of levels.

I haven't played a game that is so, well basic, in a very long time. The run speed feels off, fast. No reloading and the whole HUD and no real down sight aiming other than the dot is a bit meh. Reminds of of FPS lite battlefront. Perfect for the retards that can't aim down a site and spray and pray hip fire. Doesn't make a very good FPS though. Not far enough to comment on level design but so far its been pretty basic. Maybe that will change.

The game feels like DOOM from a decade + ago. Nostalgia points sure, but really the series needs to grow some is my first impression.

So far this feels over rated.