DOOM

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished it. It isn't goty or anything groundbreaking, but I had a lot of fun. Having a lot of fun is all I care about.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The multi-player is so weird. They have guns not in the game and the guns are absolutely terrible. What the fuck did this company do

xzi

Mouthbreather
Started playing Ultra Nightmare mode today (hardcore, can't die or you lose the game), and boy me playing like a lil bitch baiting out demons is like the opposite of how doom should be played lol. Almost everything instagibs you, but it's fun. I mostly only did it for the achievement to do the first level on Ultra Nightmare.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Snap map limits.
Ouch.

Bethesda should really stop forcing mods into consoles if it guarantees you can't make anything interesting in the process. F4 has the same problem, but at least you can still use other platforms to publish your work.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Single player was really good except for the final boss, the huge giant megademon from Doom 3 was better.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Final boss wasn't one way or another for me. Fighting the 2 hellguard things at once was more challenging tbh.

Also as far as the Snapmap thing goes, that's what I've been saying around here and on reddit. Reddit has been making fun of myself and others for complaining that consoles are limiting us to an extreme and the best example is right in that video. It's not even the tiny demon limit - it's the fact that there can't exist more than 12 demons on the entire map at one time ...Why?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its disgusting too because I didn't realize you had preselected rooms to choose from. Really dumb. You can definitely tell consoles limited us.

As far as the bosses in this game I found them all weak. I one shot the cyber demon and the hell guards and died only once on the last boss. I'm no fps God, I just played very defensively.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I think that's somewhat proof of some good design though, because there were a lot of moments like the cyberdemon fight or the few traps in the game that I immediately realized what I needed to do in order to not die. I agree though, it wasn't super difficult.

As far as Snapmap goes though, it's.. actually enjoyable to use, but there's not much you can do with it at the moment.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Besides the graphics which are good and smoothness of the frame rates this game is pretty meh. Most of the game play is pretty basic. Walk into an area, you are locked in that area until the mobs are dead. Linear, doors will be locked by keys which will have a clear and linear path to and from. Once you open the area you will then go up in some bad Mario or jump to a ledge. Repeat.

It's not a terrible game. It plays, although most of it feels like a keyboard turner would perform quite well, it does play smoothly. The gore kills were way over done. The chain saw should be awesome, not just a quick way to get ammo. The "challenge" portals are disjointed and interfere with the flow of the main game. I'd also consider their addition poorly done since they don't really make any sense. They probably would of felt better at the end of the level or as some kind of a side game you could access to improve your character. Sticking them in the middle of the levels, right in the middle of the action seems like an odd decision and makes the entire experience disjointed. The "secrets" were also pretty weak for a game in 2016 with the exception of the throw back levels which were a nice touch. The multiplayer, is pretty shit.

This game rides the Doom cock to a solid 6/10. If it was any other new franchise people would be tearing this up as crap. There isn't anything great, it is a mediocre shooter that runs well. The story is laughably bad, especially through the first 50% of the game. Coming off of Doom 3 which actually had a decent story, was pretty frightening to play through and had a ton of scattered good lore around to flesh out the story this game completely misses the mark on that.

If this game had any other new name and wasn't called Doom it would be mediocre shit.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Besides the graphics which are good and smoothness of the frame rates this game is pretty meh. Most of the game play is pretty basic. Walk into an area, you are locked in that area until the mobs are dead. Linear, doors will be locked by keys which will have a clear and linear path to and from. Once you open the area you will then go up in some bad Mario or jump to a ledge. Repeat.

It's not a terrible game. It plays, although most of it feels like a keyboard turner would perform quite well, it does play smoothly. The gore kills were way over done. The chain saw should be awesome, not just a quick way to get ammo. The "challenge" portals are disjointed and interfere with the flow of the main game. I'd also consider their addition poorly done since they don't really make any sense. They probably would of felt better at the end of the level or as some kind of a side game you could access to improve your character. Sticking them in the middle of the levels, right in the middle of the action seems like an odd decision and makes the entire experience disjointed. The "secrets" were also pretty weak for a game in 2016 with the exception of the throw back levels which were a nice touch. The multiplayer, is pretty shit.

This game rides the Doom cock to a solid 6/10. If it was any other new franchise people would be tearing this up as crap. There isn't anything great, it is a mediocre shooter that runs well. The story is laughably bad, especially through the first 50% of the game. Coming off of Doom 3 which actually had a decent story, was pretty frightening to play through and had a ton of scattered good lore around to flesh out the story this game completely misses the mark on that.

If this game had any other new name and wasn't called Doom it would be mediocre shit.
Did you play Doom 1 and 2 when they came out? It was embodying that style of play and not the slow paced system shock 2 knock off of Doom 3. Those games were similar to this new doom. Crap story with no reloading and much faster paced. With that said fair points I'll stick with my 7/10 I vastly enjoyed it but I also remember a time with no ads.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Well, we all know that's not true, because before the game was released EVERYONE was shitting on it, and we all knew it was a Doom game back then. Go to any forum that had a thread on this game and look at the posts before release compared to the ones after release. People didn't just change their minds because of the name, they changed it because the game actually turned out to be pretty good instead of the shitshow we all thought it was going to be.

And Doom 3 was nothing like the first two Doom games, which is why many of us old school Doom fans used it for a benchmark and virtually nothing else...it was a shitty Doom game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
dat quad damage BFG is delicious

hf9hKUc.gif

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
The only thing I remember about doom 3 is people complaining about how it wasn't a doom game. Now we have people complaining that doom 4 isn't enough like doom 3.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Did you play Doom 1 and 2 when they came out? It was embodying that style of play and not the slow paced system shock 2 knock off of Doom 3. Those games were similar to this new doom. Crap story with no reloading and much faster paced. With that said fair points I'll stick with my 7/10 I vastly enjoyed it but I also remember a time with no ads.
Sure I played them. They were great back in the day. I guess I expect games that come out 23 years later to be little more than a tech upgrade from the original.

Argarth

On the verandah
Well, we all know that's not true, because before the game was released EVERYONE was shitting on it, and we all knew it was a Doom game back then. Go to any forum that had a thread on this game and look at the posts before release compared to the ones after release. People didn't just change their minds because of the name, they changed it because the game actually turned out to be pretty good instead of the shitshow we all thought it was going to be.

And Doom 3 was nothing like the first two Doom games, which is why many of us old school Doom fans used it for a benchmark and virtually nothing else...it was a shitty Doom game.
Pretty much this. Doom 3 was more of a survival horror game for mine, looked great in the day on a good rig, and certainly atmospheric, but I've never finished it despite several attempts over the years.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pretty much this. Doom 3 was more of a survival horror game for mine, looked great in the day on a good rig, and certainly atmospheric, but I've never finished it despite several attempts over the years.

That's a shame because it was a blast for a surivival horror game. It was stunningly beautiful too.

Argarth

On the verandah
That's a shame because it was a blast for a surivival horror game. It was stunningly beautiful too.
Yeah, I get that. Quite recently, I picked up the BFG Edition from the local EB Games store for the princely sum of $3. Even installed the community texture pack, and tried again... still couldn't finish it.
frown.png