DOOM

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
After playing the trial, still not worth it.

At this point I will wait for PS Plus and see if it comes out for free.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This game has been thoroughly enjoyable to me, I'm not sure what's up Ut's butt about it. I played my Ultra-Violence campaign, went back through it to 100% it, and now I'm in the Lazarus Lab on Nightmare getting 100% as I go. I even had an Ultra-Nightmare campaign at the third level, but I hadn't realized you can't stop UN campaigns mid-level or you literally lose the save (which is retardation, honestly), so I lost it.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So GameStop has this for 20 bux atm. Can it really be not worth such a low amount?

Thinking of going over to grab it as I'm out of work for the next year or so due injury and have a fuck ton of time to kill.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I was surprised how long it took for Pinkies to show up. But it was worth the wait.

The cyberdemon turning into a MMO boss was a pleasant surprise too.

Game just keeps getting better. And holy fuck is it smooth on the 1070... (why I waited)

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone having problems getting Doom to launch from steam?

Double clicking goes as follows.

"Running " ----> "synching".

Mind you with no windows opening. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game to no avail.

My game and steam are both up to date as well.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Picked this up recently. Its a beautiful looking game and runs great, but damn if it isn't uninspired and sooooo repetitive. Hallway > arena demon fight > repeat. And the arena fights are all the same. Doors locked - Pop demon portal, kill zombies, kill imps, big demons spawn, queue the same metal song, win. Im about 2/3 through it but dont know if I can bring myself to finish it. It's just boring.

I agree with Ut though. Wolfenstein TNO was fucking amazing. When I first got it, I played about an hour and thought it was boring and put it down. I tried 3 or 4 different times to get into it over the course of a year and just couldn't. Only playing the first level though each time. Then finally I got a few hours in to the twist and the game just took off and I couldn't put it down. Don't make my mistake and write it off from the first level and you'll enjoy one of the best FPS since HL2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Been working on this altar for a level using custom geometry and props in Snapmap, I feel like there is a lack of hell levels that aren't just the premade rooms. Needs to be moar brutal

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Steam has it on sale for $19.99 so I got it. Probably the best FPS I have played in recent memory. Fucking amazing game.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's pretty great, for a modern FPS. Captured the fast/frenetic nature of DOOM nicely, but the fight-room structure is somewhat frustrating, and decidedly anti-DOOM. Doesn't harm it enough to make it anything less than fantastic though.

I'm impatiently awaiting when they finally release any sort of DLC/update/expansion/anything that's single player or campaign related. Thus far, everything released has been for multiplayer or their stupid snapmap thingy. Yawn.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finished the game in two sit downs. They definitely captured the fast-gameplay and atmosphere of the original series. It is a game that feels true to it's roots.

So much of this game just works for me. The platforming, the scavenger hunt level design, the item and equipment upgrades, and upgrading your weapons changes their functionality, not just +gooder. Different guns and tactics for different monster types. The in-level challenge rooms were a nice change of pace as well, and the bonus augmentations made them worth doing. I thought the story was fine. Definitely got a Deadspace vibe throughout, which is a good thing. The level design was spectacular. Tons of set pieces that will make your jaw drop, open space verticality combined with tight narrow dungeon that make you dread looking around every corner.

It is a 9/10 for me.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm casually going through it, the movement feels like a bit of a letdown after shadow warrior 2, which lets you almost fly around the map. The lack of sprint/dash is annoying, but manageable. Level design so far is AAA+ The treasure hunting and side objectives are well made, however I feel like they go against the rest of the game. I feel like I spent majority of my time so far looking for secrets/bonuses instead of shooting demons in the face, I know it is supposed to be optional, but the game shoves it in your face constantly. It is stuck in this weird place between CoD-like scripted joyride and arena shooter and I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just stick with one. Wolfenstein pulled it off perfectly by having weapon upgrades obtained by combat instead of combing the levels for secrets, which also benefited greatly from the realistic level design instead of scifi space base.

That said, gunplay and combat is one of the best I have ever played in a shooter.

Caliane

Yeah it's pretty great, for a modern FPS. Captured the fast/frenetic nature of DOOM nicely, but the fight-room structure is somewhat frustrating, and decidedly anti-DOOM.
thats interesting.

the noclip documentary discusses the fight rooms. one of the early "breakthroughs" the design team was very happy with.
While you say Anti-doom. The heritage and design philosophy makes sense. its Quake3 Team Arena. The fight rooms are specifically designed to recreate TA maps, with powerup locations, ammo, and platforms, for that frenetic run and gun.

Doom itself only had a few "fight rooms". And didn't actually have 3d, platforms, jumping at all.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
thats interesting.

the noclip documentary discusses the fight rooms. one of the early "breakthroughs" the design team was very happy with.
While you say Anti-doom. The heritage and design philosophy makes sense. its Quake3 Team Arena. The fight rooms are specifically designed to recreate TA maps, with powerup locations, ammo, and platforms, for that frenetic run and gun.

Doom itself only had a few "fight rooms". And didn't actually have 3d, platforms, jumping at all.

Sure, the latter part of your post is new, and a welcome addition. I just miss the old style of level design, such as D2 mission 15, or tenements (16 or 17 I think?). Huge open levels with tons of monsters, many of which would activate upon first sound, or first sight, and harry you from across the map until dealt with. Or not, that was part of the beauty. You could ignore 80% of those baddies if you so wished. Not so much in this game, the fight room gates won't let you through without a full slaughter. Again, not enough of an issue for me personally to drop this game's rating below fantastic, but still a lamentable result of the modernization of the FPS genre.

I'm sure I've said it a zillion times across a zillion threads, but I'd pay good money for a modern engine remake of D1 and D2, perhaps simply with full mouse look as the only improvement beyond visual. For now, Brutal Doom will have to suffice.

-edit- I'll add, the fatality things are also decidedly anti-DOOM, but in practice thankfully don't detract too terribly much, thanks to the quick execution (improved by a glyph). If I had my way, I'd remake this game without fight rooms and fatalities, or whatever they called them, been a few months since I 100%'d my nightmare campaign.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
thats interesting.

I think it's the way it changes the player's approach to combat - the game makes it very difficult to retreat and puts a divide between exploration and combat, which is very much unlike Doom. At the same time so far all the challenges I ran into followed a rather predictable difficulty curve, with very little room for creativity.

Also fuck exploration based challenges with checkpoints and trigger based ledge grabs. I died more time to molten lava than demons so far.