DOTA 2

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
It's strange. The game is much more popular this year and the community-funded prize pool is many times larger, but it seems like the general interest level is much lower when compared with previous Internationals. On Reddit, post-match threads only have a couple hundred comments. In game, there were only something like 200-300k watching the winner's bracket finals, less than popular games on the first day of the group stages.

For such a huge event, it does seem like everyone involved is just sort of going through the motions. Maybe it's the format or the venue or whatever, but given the way its turned out so far, something definitely needs to change for TI5.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
It's strange. The game is much more popular this year and the community-funded prize pool is many times larger, but it seems like the general interest level is much lower when compared with previous Internationals. On Reddit, post-match threads only have a couple hundred comments. In game, there were only something like 200-300k watching the winner's bracket finals, less than popular games on the first day of the group stages.

For such a huge event, it does seem like everyone involved is just sort of going through the motions. Maybe it's the format or the venue or whatever, but given the way its turned out so far, something definitely needs to change for TI5.
people work during most of the matches.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
co3RGB4.png

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
The WB Finals was at like 7PM eastern. I suppose some people on the west coast would still be at work, but most central and eastern people would be home already. Europe would have been around midnight, so work wasn't an issue there either. There's just not a lot of interest. There used to be, but it seems like it has mostly evaporated.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Yeah, it's not the best. In addition to the whole knowing who's in the finals thing, I'm also feeling a bit of NCAA-type exhaustion with this format. So much going on in those group stages, an almost overwhelming amount of Dota and upsets and down to the wire finishes and then...a break. Followed by a tiny amount of Dota slowly given drip by drip. It's just really hard to work up the energy now.
Yep, REALLY wish the matches were spaced out over a month.

people work during most of the matches.
YUUUP, don't really feel invested in the matches since I've mostly just seen results and games here and there.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
Honestly i think people are a bit exhausted. if you think about it the group stage was so brutal that if your team lost a game or 2 they shouldn't have then they where out of the tournament. Then after that you get 4 days of 0 dota then all of a sudden 3 best of 3's later you know who one of your grand finalists is? I think only having 8 teams in the main event and the setup in general was to front loaded and it sapped alot of the interest/excitement from the actual main event

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
That's true. The four teams in the winner's bracket were guaranteed to place extremely well just by nature of the brackets. It's as if the tournament was half decided before it even started. Compared to TI3, where everything was much more uncertain, it's not nearly as exciting.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Yeah the scheduling/format is terrible. There's no momentum or build up. Games should get more and more hype as we go from group to knockouts, to deciding who is in the final, to the final. Instead we have groups, then a break, then a handful of knock outs, then we find out half of the final, then its back down to knockouts again. It's not a steady build. And because of that, if Navi is out after today, there's much less momentum to keep me hyped about the event.

Then the final on Monday morning. That may line up well with Euro or Asia time zones, I don't know, but it def doesn't line up for me. I can't watch at work. Of course, knowing I can't watch the final live also kills the hype for me.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Dust is a good item for pub gaming

I've watched all the games. Horrible isn't what I'd call it so far.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I'll have to agree with all the other people here - last year was tense and fun to watch as teams progressed or were knocked out/down after the first stage. The progression here is so disjointed that I have a hard time caring. Every other playoff in every other sport has a series of rounds leading to quarters / semis / finals, yet here we know one of the teams in the final 3 before half of the playoff teams have even had their matches? I can only hope they take notes of the negative response and fix things next year. Last year was great, and eliminating so many teams after the BO1 group stage was a bad decision, IMO.

Hoping to see C9 take it all, but in all honesty I can't see anyone but EG, Newbee, or DK as champion.

It would also be nice if the game scheduled for noon EST started before 1pm. I don't want to watch an hour or more of analysts. Take a note from every other major sport and stick to a pregame show followed by a strict kickoff time. If i had all the time in the world I could watch this all day, but I just wanted to sit down for an hour or two to watch some dota, not a round table discussion.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
They literally picked a bunch of skill shot/high skill heroes... and fell flat on their face, hard. Xbox the lone bright spot.

I'm not positive, but I think that Roshan pit fight with the chrono on ES/Doom, kky had a chance to kill the ES while he was in the chrono, and just stood outside of it doing absolutely nothing. Both he and funnik were just chilling outside of it. Definitely not positive about all that, though.