DOTA 2

Sulrn

Deuces
I used to play a ton of Dota back on Battlenet...I loaded up Dota 2 and wanted to start again. Any advice on what types of matches are welcome to noobs? The vitriol and hate that was dumped onto to newbies in Dota was epic. I'd prefer to avoid that while I ramp back up.
Be a man, join quick match for any game mode. As long as you don't use Spanish in chat/voip 90% of the hate will go elsewhere.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I used to play a ton of Dota back on Battlenet...I loaded up Dota 2 and wanted to start again. Any advice on what types of matches are welcome to noobs? The vitriol and hate that was dumped onto to newbies in Dota was epic. I'd prefer to avoid that while I ramp back up.
Meet the new dota, same as the old dota.

I guess you could play custom games like Overwatch and some of the more popular ones that aren't really competitive or serious. But even in brand new smurf account zero MMR 1st match ever you're still gonna get vitriol and hate. The easiest thing to do is just ignore it, mute them if you want, and play your own game and own noobs.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Probably co-op bot games would be your best bet, but even then, you might get flamed.

If there were more Rerolled members who played, I'd suggest that, but I haven't played with anyone from here since sometime last year.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Who cares about flames? Just mute everyone if they bother you. The matchmaking system will place you in games with people around your skill anyway so it's not like they're visibly better than you the vast majority of the time.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The people who say you can carry your team if you're actually better than the enemy are full of shit. Just had a Jugg who at 30 min had phase boots and mask of madness, and an Ench with midas and solar crest. How do you have midas and literally no items to go with it?

And how is it possible to hope to carry that game?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well, the comment isn't really supposed to apply to an individual sample of 1 game. Although with enough MMR disparity and the right hero it would probably be true for a large number of a sample size. It is really just supposed to refer to the fact that if you are better than those around you, over enough games you should be able to carry the team and eventually get to the point where it won't work like that. With the theory being that on any given game the other team is just as likely to have someone on their team with a midas and no items at 30 minutes as you are.

Sulrn

Deuces
The people who say you can carry your team if you're actually better than the enemy are full of shit. Just had a Jugg who at 30 min had phase boots and mask of madness, and an Ench with midas and solar crest. How do you have midas and literally no items to go with it?

And how is it possible to hope to carry that game?
I generally QM SD/RD/AR in non-prime hours and play with a significantly lower skill brackets as a result (Central American/Southwestern primetimes, go figure). I have carried more games as a support than I care to mention because both enemies/allies were completely retarded. Have there been games I wish I had randomed a carry/stronger support, definitely - but the fact remains that if there is a skill disparity in your match it's in your power to exploit it. Roughly 75/80% of the cast has a skill set capable of ending a game around 20-36 minutes if you're aggressively pushing or efficiently farming you can take advantage of the fact most bad players are inefficient at using space/farming and end games early.

Cybsled

Virtus Pro just dumped their entire DOTA2 roster. Polarity also is gone and Empire is being shook up. Navi the only CIS team to get to TI6 obviously had everything to do with that ;p

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Virtus Pro just dumped their entire DOTA2 roster. Polarity also is gone and Empire is being shook up. Navi the only CIS team to get to TI6 obviously had everything to do with that ;p
Orgs probably now funding teams hoping they do well at TI so they take a slice....

Cybsled

TI is good money if the prize pool is high. MVP got like 8th place at TI5 and got more money than most LoL teams in Korea get for placing 1st or 2nd in major tournaments for their game.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Probably co-op bot games would be your best bet, but even then, you might get flamed.

If there were more Rerolled members who played, I'd suggest that, but I haven't played with anyone from here since sometime last year.
Generally you should never play with me. More specifically never play with me after like 10pm CST. Otherwise I'm always open. Dandain and I usually play together all the time.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Generally you should never play with me. More specifically never play with me after like 10pm CST. Otherwise I'm always open. Dandain and I usually play together all the time.
Can't be worse than the shit I've been grouped up with lately.

Last match was like 800 MMR average for some reason, and half my team was afk...so I got another -25! Wonderful. I'm getting really sick of this fucking game.

I've won 2 of my last 11 because I've been paired up with functional retards and Peruvians. I'm not saying I didn't play some blame, but at least half of those I've had a hard carry with like boots and 1 item at 30 minutes. It's literally impossible to win in that scenario. And my MMR keeps nosediving because I can't escape them. I don't know why the other team never gets this shit.

Sulrn

Deuces
Get comfortable with a hero capable of split pushing effectively and picking off lone-heroes. Have a goal of having all the t1's down by 18 minutes or a single t2 by 16. Keep your own vision up for where you expect supports to roam through or junglers/couriers and maintain rune control for one of the runes. Never go midas, always get a combat oriented farming item battle fury/mael/radiance/necro (if you need help with wave clear or last hitting). If you have a shit tastic team, bait the enemy team into a team fight and BoT/TP to a different lane and get some hits on a t2/3/rax.

He get's a lot of hate here, but a lot of what he's saying is as true now as it was 2 years ago.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can't be worse than the shit I've been grouped up with lately.

Last match was like 800 MMR average for some reason, and half my team was afk...so I got another -25! Wonderful. I'm getting really sick of this fucking game.

I've won 2 of my last 11 because I've been paired up with functional retards and Peruvians. I'm not saying I didn't play some blame, but at least half of those I've had a hard carry with like boots and 1 item at 30 minutes. It's literally impossible to win in that scenario. And my MMR keeps nosediving because I can't escape them. I don't know why the other team never gets this shit.
The slacks video has some interesting points, though I'm not sure if going support is even useful in 800 mmr games. Obviously first make sure you can handle the basic mechanics, then I think you go one of two paths, heroes that snowball or heroes that difficult to deal with lower levels of farm/skill.

* Pudge - if you can get a few levels and hit hooks chances are you can snowball @ 800 mmr
* Bristleback - boots, basil, vanguard. Then just more stat items (treads, S&Y, heart).
* Doom - highly survivable w/ scorched earth & his farming will be significantly faster than anyone else
* alchemist - highly survivable w/ ultimate & his farming will be significantly faster than anyone else

Harder to execute
* Ursa - easy roshans for levels, unlikely your opponent will pay attention to preventing it
* CK - roam with him similar to pudge, generally requires someone else to help kill people

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Despite my MMR, I'm not retarded. And that's what annoys me, is that everyone wants to offer advice tailored to someone who doesn't get basic fundamentals. There's a serious misunderstanding about what's going on at this MMR.

Just to cherry pick from my last 10 matches, I can farm just fine. Losses include Slark (468 GPM), Axe (520 GPM), Axe (545 GPM), Sven (536 GPM), and Dark Seer (430 GPM). You know how fucking ridiculous the game has to be to lose as a carry with over 500 GPM? You literally can't carry a team solo. I know people think you can, but you can't. Maybe someone who's really a 4k player can, but someone who's a 2k player cannot.

The Slark loss had a Luna with brown boots, and Agh's up until 38 minutes.
The 1st Axe game had a Jugg with phase boots, PMS, and MoM in 33 minutes.
The 2nd Axe game I think was just poor teamplay. This is one where I'm not upset we lost.
Sven loss was just players who were shit at their carries. Ursa, Zeus, and Axe and they never really got kills (with an Omni to back them up, too).
The Dark Seer game had a guy who wanted to play carry Omni, and then another who wanted carry CM. The CM got pissed and started feeding about 15 minutes in. I actually think he was a smurf (he dominated the shit out of his lane) who was just trolling.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This Leshrac steal 4000hp from enemy is killing me. Last one I need for 3* all the ones on the Spellbinder path. Going for Octarine 1st just feels like it gimps me and I can't farm or do anything. So by the time I've got it we've either already won or already lost. I need to figure out how to farm faster.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Despite my MMR, I'm not retarded. And that's what annoys me, is that everyone wants to offer advice tailored to someone who doesn't get basic fundamentals. There's a serious misunderstanding about what's going on at this MMR.

Just to cherry pick from my last 10 matches, I can farm just fine. Losses include Slark (468 GPM), Axe (520 GPM), Axe (545 GPM), Sven (536 GPM), and Dark Seer (430 GPM). You know how fucking ridiculous the game has to be to lose as a carry with over 500 GPM? You literally can't carry a team solo. I know people think you can, but you can't. Maybe someone who's really a 4k player can, but someone who's a 2k player cannot.

The 2nd Axe game I think was just poor teamplay. This is one where I'm not upset we lost.
Sven loss was just players who were shit at their carries. Ursa, Zeus, and Axe and they never really got kills (with an Omni to back them up, too).
The Dark Seer game had a guy who wanted to play carry Omni, and then another who wanted carry CM. The CM got pissed and started feeding about 15 minutes in. I actually think he was a smurf (he dominated the shit out of his lane) who was just trolling.
Knowing mechanics is just one in a long list of traits you develop for this game. Attitude and decision making along with build priority (I guess sub decision making) and leadership (this goes a long way) are all traits way better than high GPM. Also, I wouldn't consider 500+ a game you can consider a "holy shit how did I lose with this GPM". That would be 750+

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Out of curiosity, when you had those farm games, were you also active in the fights and lanes, or were you just off farming on your own to try to pull ahead and carry "later"? Even if you do really well, it may not be enough to pull a bad team through to the end, if they were fighting the other guys 4v5 all match.