DOTA 2

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
On point (as in, on the money) comes from "en pointe" in ballet and has been around for a very long time. In legal circles it goes back to the 1930s as "on point" and the 1700s as "in point".
Its thought to originate from middle english military termin point.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Props to Empire, I thought they would crumble under the pressure, but that was really well played. You can see that this event is a bit better than the SL invitational

Northerner

N00b
Its thought to originate from middle english military termin point.
Well, perhaps there's some convergence here. I know the term on point to mean that guy on a foot patrol that is in the lead, sure. Still, I went to an English school as a kid and "on point" certainlydoesmean executing a task with extreme precision.

Cybsled

I never got why Puppey or Universe didn't have blinks that entire game. Maybe they assumed spectre would have radiance earlier?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Spectre doesn't even need radiance, just haunt makes you unable to blink for the whole duration, thereby cancelling any counter-inititation potential blinks could have.

League of the Ancients 2This article is both terrific read and terrible, aka how to make your point about anything.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Spectre doesn't even need radiance, just haunt makes you unable to blink for the whole duration, thereby cancelling any counter-inititation potential blinks could have.

League of the Ancients 2This article is both terrific read and terrible, aka how to make your point about anything.
I'm not sure I'm a fan of that article at all, its way too pissed for one. And for two, without a comeback mechanic dota allows for players to throw their life away repeatedly for kills and still win. And I don't mean at serious levels of play I mean in pubs at like 2500. Players get enormous leads and they will suicide dive the base/fountain for 10-15 extra minutes. There needs to to be a mechanic that allows players to come back especially if the leading team makes decisions that don't end the game effectively and efficiently. The team in the lead must have something at stake. It is different dota, but teams/players behind must have a mechanism to win the game as long as we have a no surrender policy. It may seem stupid to some - but without it one won teamfight and superior cs'ers win games. I've quite enjoyed the professional dota games in the last few years as well.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure I'm a fan of that article at all, its way too pissed for one. And for two, without a comeback mechanic dota allows for players to throw their life away repeatedly for kills and still win. And I don't mean at serious levels of play I mean in pubs at like 2500. Players get enormous leads and they will suicide dive the base/fountain for 10-15 extra minutes. There needs to to be a mechanic that allows players to come back especially if the leading team makes decisions that don't end the game effectively and efficiently. The team in the lead must have something at stake. It is different dota, but teams/players behind must have a mechanism to win the game as long as we have a no surrender policy. It may seem stupid to some - but without it one won teamfight and superior cs'ers win games. I've quite enjoyed the professional dota games in the last few years as well.
That is also my reaction, it is necessary even at pro level, where bigger lead pretty much means you have 70+% chance to win and 20k like 95%. The problem with arguing on TL is that you just can't call somebody a retard for ignoring evidence or blatantly twisting facts, you have to refute it point by point. I found it funny how the most upvoted responses on reddit (this is like the first article i saw doing well there) were calling him out on that, but now every single tard who keeps thinking dota is broken since he isn't winning more or "used to have more fun" has an article to point to, ignoring any and all data, like how they broke user records around Shanghai Major ....

And as far as I remeber, more carries = more win has been true in pubs for ages.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I do think the comeback mechanic is a bit too extreme, in extreme cases. When you're leading by 15-20k and one of your cores die, the enemy team gains too much money for a single kill I think.

I'd probably alter it in 2 ways. First make it scale more or less based on the time. Early in the game, less, later, more. Point of this is to reduce the whole "ok guys it's 20mins, we dominated early game and pushed every tower, now let's farm for 15mins until we can finish". If you get an early advantage, you should be able to push and finish the game without running into the risk of giving it all up in 3deaths. You shouldn't be able to throw boddies at the rax until they fall like you used to, but still.

The second isn't really a solution but it'd be a way to not punish initiators when you're leading. Currently if you're 20k ahead and try to take a fight with say Clockwerk or Slardar as your initiator, and he dies after initiating, leading to a 4man wipe for only his death, this should be a victory, but you're probably breaking even on gold. This actually makes it less appealing to pick certain heroes that often die to force fights because they're disadvantageous in those situations where you get ahead early. I was thinking of comeback bounty bonus being based on kill frequency or something like that, but it'd be abusable by playing passive and shit so not such a good idea.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
TBH the mechanic has been nerfed every patch since it was introduced. Right now I think it's at a pretty sweet spot, especially since it's counter balanced by the increasing creep bounty (+1 per 7.5 minutes). A lot of people focus on the gold part of the mechanic, but experience and map control are sometimes even more important, since that is what lets you farm in the first place, or even contest Rosh, who is the gateway to high ground for many strats. Invoker has lvl 25 ability, what would happen if more heroes followed suit ?

I hope at some point Icefrog steps out of the shadows, because I'd love to hear whatdidn'twork when making new patches. The fact that he can still make rather distinct and new mechanics in an increasingly crowded genre blows my mind, especially when the comeback mechanic is like the most questionable thing he introduced in a while, maybe with the exception of the sniper/troll/jugg meta.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
We LoL and starcraft now.

Invoker, DP and OD raped by the amphibian.

First thing I do when the patch goes live is picking shaker and building Aghs. COME ON AND SLAM