DOTA 2

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually amazed how volatile this TI has been, and not just because I'm Puppey fanboy. China always shows up at TI, which is what most of the west underestimates, but having pretty much all of the western contenders out or in the losers bracket is pretty crazy. Individual skill has obviously caught up everywhere, but the tactics as well, might be the early fighting/push meta, where the usual response is to have even earlier timing and you will find your heroes somehow. Or just cheese it with drow/huskar. While everybody is gushing over how many heroes got picked, I'd love to see a breakdown of how many heroes get picked by individual teams.

Guess this is the environment where PPD shines - you get to develop your strat on the fly.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually amazed how volatile this TI has been, and not just because I'm Puppey fanboy. China always shows up at TI, which is what most of the west underestimates, but having pretty much all of the western contenders out or in the losers bracket is pretty crazy. Individual skill has obviously caught up everywhere, but the tactics as well, might be the early fighting/push meta, where the usual response is to have even earlier timing and you will find your heroes somehow. Or just cheese it with drow/huskar. While everybody is gushing over how many heroes got picked, I'd love to see a breakdown of how many heroes get picked by individual teams.

Guess this is the environment where PPD shines - you get to develop your strat on the fly.

If you have the compendium, this is actually visible under the predictions for TI6. There is a section for team who picks the most heroes. Wings was winning last I checked.

On a personal note, I never fly Delta, ever. Except this year when I want to go to TI and Delta is the only one doing a direct flight from Orlando to Seattle. Except Delta had a major fucking outage at their headquarters in Atlanta on Monday and have been cancelling flights for 3 days. My flight to Seattle this morning at 7 AM EST got cancelled. They say they have rescheduled it to one at 2PM EST, but my entire reservation is gone from their website, and their phoneline is bananas because of how many people they are fucking over right now.

Oh god... my life.

Northerner

N00b
I think the meta has come around so far that comfort picks are best picks often. Obviously synergy is still king and counters are needed but "smart" and "clever" seem to be getting trumped by solid and familiar. Parity is high and what you've practiced most probably is better than a superior strategy that you can't execute as well. For sure there's been more coach-level analysis ahead of time and probably some serious simulation and mathematics done.

I think that's good and bad, although the games so far have been spectacular. I love pocket strats though and seeing a Puppy or similar drafter come up with something *new* for a big game just makes me hard. So far most attempts at innovation have failed horribly in the main event at least. Not entirely true of course though, the winning teams seem to be able to do so with almost anything.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you have the compendium, this is actually visible under the predictions for TI6. There is a section for team who picks the most heroes. Wings was winning last I checked.

On a personal note, I never fly Delta, ever. Except this year when I want to go to TI and Delta is the only one doing a direct flight from Orlando to Seattle. Except Delta had a major fucking outage at their headquarters in Atlanta on Monday and have been cancelling flights for 3 days. My flight to Seattle this morning at 7 AM EST got cancelled. They say they have rescheduled it to one at 2PM EST, but my entire reservation is gone from their website, and their phoneline is bananas because of how many people they are fucking over right now.

Oh god... my life.

Dude that sucks. I'm on the way to the airport now for my first flight, but traveling American. If you ever show up let me know and we'll buy you a beer.

Northerner

N00b
All that are/have gone, lend me your experiences.

I'm old and have always *kinda* wanted to take a geek vacation. I mean, when I was young (as in before most of even you were alive...) I did GenCon but that was when it was in Racine, WI and yes, that's how old I actually am. Oh, and it was a DnD and 'other stuff' convention and my folks let me and my sister go alone living in Toronto at the time. I was 14-ish? and she was 17 at max. Crazy by modern standards. We literally lived in a tent village and played games in the university or whatever. It was a geek burning man for children and geeks and I'm still a bit shocked that my sister never got raped (as far as I know) and more so that even my progressive folks let us go. Still, I taught a bunch of GMs that a precocious canadian kid could rule-lawyer better than the expected geeks. Plus, pretty sure looking back on it that they wanted to bang my sister.

She turned out well, me I wonder about.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
TI feels more like a NCAA football national championship or other sporting event and less like a -con to me. Sure there's some cosplay and nerds that smell bad, but for the most part you can isolate your activities to sitting inside Key Arena and just watching 11 hours of dota if you want. Or head outside and hit the food trucks and watch the games on the lawn on their big LED screens.

You can go to player / caster signing but those lines get huge and can go 2hr+ for even less known people.

It was a super comfortable experience last year and seemed very well organized. I'd like to go to a Starladder or ESL Frankfurt to compare one year. And it is very very international. Half the time we weren't even sitting with Americans.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
An update to my TI 6 saga. I am now in Chicago. I booked a one way United flight that cost as much as my round trip. I will be here a couple hours until I leave for Seattle, arriving there at 1240. Not quite the 1030 I originally had chested but at least I don't lose the whole day like Delta was trying to get me to do. I just have to get my money back from them for fucking shit up. Definitely still going though.

To Intrinsic, I am now probably just going to wait at the airport for my brothers who get in at 2 and 3, so I will get to Key Arena eventually this afternoon. Fortunately EG play late as that is my most anticipated series today.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nice, glad to hear it is still coming together. I'm just leaving Dallas and Dandain should be picking me up at the airport at 10:45, don't want to miss Alliance.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
EE out of Secret per Puppey fb post. No surprise really, someone was definitely getting booted and he was the logical choice.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Although:
Convo from last summer, the other guy is apaprently 1437, and this gives some theories why TL just crumbled at TI ...

Also, I'm not sure if it should even be here, might be worth deleting

Last edited:

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Idk how they managed to keep those egos intact to even make it to last years TI. Also, Theeban would lick the jizz off of Puppey's junk.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Someone needs to give Capitalist a dictionary, the guy can't say anything without incorrectly using words. Inexcusable as a native speaker who talks for a living.

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
That puppey convo is kinda surprising. If it was really that bad, how did Kuro ever go from Na'vi to Secret?

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just don't have faith in A getting anything right. This is twice in two days they've had a totally reasonable start with Mirana + Drow and haven't been able to pressure in the early game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that was great no risk dota, even if a bit boring to watch. G2 seems to be a bit closer so far