DOTA 2

Del

Vyemm Raider
I disagree and have been looking forward to this since the first one. The laid back nature and uniqueness is what draws me to this tournament. It was enjoyable watching players cast the games last tournament and just shoot the shit. As opposed to last week where they just had awkward 22 second interviews with brohard. All that being said the delays are stupid as fuck.
You can't "watch" these players cast with an in game ticket. All that "good" stuff takes place on the stream.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm pretty sure the reason why The Summit has a high prizepool is because of the items that come with the ticket. Holding a tournament inside of a house with crap production values definitely isn't some awesome event.
Because flying 6 teams from around the world is cheap ? Yes, they offered the best value for money when it came to items, but they also had qualifiers with great hype, as opposed to a Dreamleague and the player casts made otherwise boring group stages much more interesting experience. Nobody can say "so smart" without twitch chat going crazy.

Prime_sl

shitlord
Well, the XMG 2.0 prize pool is currently around $265k. From a base of $50k then the additional $215k is from ticket sales. With tickets at $8 and 25% going to the prize pool, that about $860K in sales. If Valve takes 30%, then $860K - 30% - (860k x 25%) leaves $387k in profit. If that $50K base had to be fronted (probably not, since sponsors), then $337K. Some of that needs to pay for (the creation of) compendium perks. Some may go to LAN finals for team travel/hotels (if they are having them). But it's entirely possible that over $300k goes to the XMG guys as profit.
Valve takes 62.5% of the profit, 25% towards the prize pool, and 12.5% towards the organizer. Valve matches any money put towards the prize pool, so the usual split is 75% towards valve and 25% towards the organizer. 860k in ticket sales is 107k towards the organizers. Pretty good for an online tournament, but not that good when you look at a tournament with a LAN. It's so ridiculous how much money Valve takes from ticket sales.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Valve takes 62.5% of the profit, 25% towards the prize pool, and 12.5% towards the organizer. Valve matches any money put towards the prize pool, so the usual split is 75% towards valve and 25% towards the organizer. 860k in ticket sales is 107k towards the organizers. Pretty good for an online tournament, but not that good when you look at a tournament with a LAN. It's so ridiculous how much money Valve takes from ticket sales.
Are there any educated guesses whether TI4 ended up in black numbers or not, due to the ridiculous sales of the compendium and everything associated with it ?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Are there any educated guesses whether TI4 ended up in black numbers or not, due to the ridiculous sales of the compendium and everything associated with it ?
I'm guessing he meant in the positive like in golf scoring terms. My guess is they made huge profits with how much money was contributed from the community on compendiums. Weren't the profits $7.50 for each compendium purchased?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, but I have no idea how much is renting the whole arena, paying the broadcasting company, renting the whole hotel for 2? weeks, flying like a hundred people to Washington and so on.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'm a fucking idiot when it comes to math, but if I calculated it right they made $27,992,094 on compedium sales alone without factoring in taxes. While the things you listed are probably a huge chunk of change I think they still came out positive with that figure. I'm sure they don't have an issue with making money, but the real reason behind the international to begin with was marketing anyways.

Edit - Math is a little off. Didn't take into account the initial 1.6 million.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm pretty sure the reason why The Summit has a high prizepool is because of the items that come with the ticket. Holding a tournament inside of a house with crap production values definitely isn't some awesome event.
I'm sure it helps, however the ticket has never been cheap on the market which is the indicator for people buying for the cosmetics. I think I paid 10-cents for the i-League ticket back in Aug/Sept and $1-2 for the XMG Captain's Draft ticket while the Summit 2 ticket w/o cosmetics is ~$8-9.

I talked some shit on Zyori awhile back about his ass nasty looking dreads. Motherfucker got dat hair cut now and is looking good now.
I thought it might help but it didn't make a difference though he's still just as irritating as before while casting or the way he sits on the couch with his legs crossed and his hands clasped.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
Damn that game was fucking awesome. C9 i thought threw it twice in that match with faceless void.

oh well.

Prime_sl

shitlord
What a tournament. Every game seems to be good, both bo5 semifinals have gone the distance, and an amazing all star match.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
LOL main BTS twitch channel banned for running a skit of Bruno in the bathtub giving an interview.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
Where was this secret team yesterday against vg? or is vg just that far ahead of everyone else?

Del

Vyemm Raider
Where was this secret team yesterday against vg? or is vg just that far ahead of everyone else?
Secret got raped by VG at ESL One as well. I think they just don't match up very well vs. VG. And I think EG played exceptionally poor today.