Dota Underlords

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Dota Underlords

Looks like its available on Steam as well but I'm not sure its showing up on the Steam client yet.

Website updated with some backstory. Current features list such as ranked matchmaking, pausing/saving bot games to play later, crossplay, "tournament ready" which I think basically means private lobbies, online and offline play.

The coming soon section is interesting. So far it includes - a battlepass, seasonal rotation, match replay, and choosing what Underlord to play as.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Underlords still has a little ways to go to catch up with Autochess. There is no voice acting (even though Auto Chess's is in Chinese currently), there is no progression system or cosmetics of any sort. Only a few units change their appearance when you star them up. Also there is a funky delay when you go to view another player's board in Underlords, where you see the default setup of their team, then it suddenly flashes into whatever active combat is going on.

I do like Underlords sidebar better though. It shows player levels and current gold count (and hot streaks), you have to open up the secondary window in Auto Chess to view that information.

I actually would like a combination of both game's itemization. I love the guaranteed item on the NPC rounds of Underlords, and the fact that you can swap items between units whenever you want (outside of combat). I also like the Race/Class/Utility buff items in Underlords. However I like the item combination system of Auto Chess better, and the fact that you can slot all the items on a single unit if you so desire.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Dota Underlords

Looks like its available on Steam as well but I'm not sure its showing up on the Steam client yet.

Website updated with some backstory. Current features list such as ranked matchmaking, pausing/saving bot games to play later, crossplay, "tournament ready" which I think basically means private lobbies, online and offline play.

The coming soon section is interesting. So far it includes - a battlepass, seasonal rotation, match replay, and choosing what Underlord to play as.

All of those coming soon features are needed imho. The game is good, but it is literally just the game right now. It needs a hook, or something to work towards. AKA the Artifact dilemma.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
All of those coming soon features are needed imho. The game is good, but it is literally just the game right now. It needs a hook, or something to work towards. AKA the Artifact dilemma.

I agree that it is pretty bare bones but they have been working pretty fast so far. While Auto Chess might be more complete I don't think its going to be a real competitor to Underlords or TFT. Not to mention DAC didn't have a lot going on for it either but it still got a lot of play.

I believe they mentioned open beta would last a few months, so within a few months hopefully all those coming soon, the unique voice lines, and upgraded visuals for each character will be in. Once the open beta officially starts (I'm not sure if its considered right now or not) then ranked play will start and that will draw some of the competitive players in.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read that it said "open beta available now". So ranked play must be a go.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just played the Tutorial briefly, will do some games tonight, but initial impression of the UI is mixed. The units are small - much smaller than Auto Chess, makes it harder to discern their levels, watching them, moving them, gearing them up, etc.

The App is clunky on Android. Clicking the board doesn't close the draft window, pressing back arrow on the phone doesn't take you out of the app. Kinda frustrating tbh. With Auto Chess I can go to my phone main screen easily, & back into game again. And the in-game menus flow easier, without having to hit the "X" icon.

Level up button is in the draft window instead of in an easily accessible spot, so if you want to quickly level & place a unit you spend extra "presses".

Visuals are fine and in some cases cleaner than Auto Chess. I'm not a fan of "dark mode", which Valve seems to love with all of their games, (except TF2). I prefer brighter art styles.

I like the item system so far - selecting items from a list during the loot phase, seems less random, more strategic.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Just played the Tutorial briefly, will do some games tonight, but initial impression of the UI is mixed. The units are small - much smaller than Auto Chess, makes it harder to discern their levels, watching them, moving them, gearing them up, etc.

The App is clunky on Android. Clicking the board doesn't close the draft window, pressing back arrow on the phone doesn't take you out of the app. Kinda frustrating tbh. With Auto Chess I can go to my phone main screen easily, & back into game again. And the in-game menus flow easier, without having to hit the "X" icon.

Level up button is in the draft window instead of in an easily accessible spot, so if you want to quickly level & place a unit you spend extra "presses".

Visuals are fine and in some cases cleaner than Auto Chess. I'm not a fan of "dark mode", which Valve seems to love with all of their games, (except TF2). I prefer brighter art styles.

I like the item system so far - selecting items from a list during the loot phase, seems less random, more strategic.

This reminds me of one thing that is way better in Underlords. Auto-fucking-combine. Having a full bench in Auto Chess, then needing to drag a unit onto the field, then hit the combine button is stupid. In Underlords, as you buy the third unit of a type, it instantly pops, no need to shuffle your bench.

Another interesting difference, which I am unsure if it is intentional or not: In Autochess, there is still a slight delay on actions, just like in the original Dota 2 mod. Units will sometimes leap towards a target, get confused momentarily, then go back to what they were doing. Also effects that are in flight, will still land and do damage in Auto Chess, even if the unit dies before the effect lands. In Underlords, the units are much more responsive, and any projectiles in the air become null and void if their source dies before they land.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Game is fun, but there is no exit game option or sound? Valve desperately playing catch-up and it shows.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I think whatever they switched for open beta took away both of those because they were working this morning.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The loot buff that adds +30% damage per unique demon is pretty godly, stack all the demons with an anti-mage (for the double demon hunter bonus) and they shred anything with pure damage. Add dedalus for pretty ridiculous damage.

Also, whats up with Bloodseeker, that hero does insane damage with items.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Autocombine is great but the UI is terrible. In Autochess you can long hold anything to get full details, in this you can find out what the races/classes do on the shop screen.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
What determines who you face each round? Every game I play finds me fighting the same three teams pretty much the whole game.

The loot buff that adds +30% damage per unique demon is pretty godly, stack all the demons with an anti-mage (for the double demon hunter bonus) and they shred anything with pure damage. Add dedalus for pretty ridiculous damage.

Also, whats up with Bloodseeker, that hero does insane damage with items.
Doesn't using more than one demon give you a big debuff?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I don't agree that the UI is terrible, it has come a long way in just a week. There is definitely some work to be done and they have mentioned some ideas they're trying out. I do agree that some more information needs to be readily available but that isn't the end of the world.

What determines who you face each round? Every game I play finds me fighting the same three teams pretty much the whole game.

Seems random. Some people you'll fight multiple times, some you won't fight until in the 30s. The joy of RNG really. There has been a few games where the guy with like 10 life has a comp that shreds me and I play against him multiple times.. but I can easily dominate the top guy. Drives me crazy but thats the way it goes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

FarmCheese

Trakanon Raider

Doesn't using more than one demon give you a big debuff?
It is negated with the demon hunter buff from antimage and terrorblade. Add the strange bedfellows global item and you have pure damage all over the place. The problem is that you can need at least 4 demons for it to be good. Otherwise you get shit on by tanky line ups.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It is negated with the demon hunter buff from antimage and terrorblade. Add the strange bedfellows global item and you have pure damage all over the place. The problem is that you can need at least 4 demons for it to be good. Otherwise you get shit on by tanky line ups.

Fixed that for you

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I haven't been playing long. But I've run the lineup a few times and that has been MY experience with it. I won with it once. Are you saying its not good?

Its good but AM is one of the best heroes as well. I agree the Strange Bedfellows is good but it takes a lot to get working as well.