Downton Abbey

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Eonan

Doer of Things
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Downton Abbey

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2010-09-26

Creator: Julian Fellowes

Cast: Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Michelle Dockery, Jim Carter, Laura Carmichael, Elizabeth McGovern, Phyllis Logan, Penelope Wilton, Brendan Coyle, Joanne Froggatt, Rob James-Collier, Lesley Nicol, Sophie McShera, Raquel Cassidy, Allen Leech

Overview: A chronicle of the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the post-Edwardian era—with great events in history having an effect on their lives and on the British social hierarchy.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Didn't see a thread for this yet. I got hooked on this show while I was home for Christmas, hard to believe that it is only shown on PBS in the States. You can watch most the episodes on Netflix, definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, it's a great show.

For those who are pirating from England, the Christmas episode aired on Christmas Day and is available.

Eonan

Doer of Things
I am about halfway through season 2. I am assuming that the Christmas episode should be watched after season 3?

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, unlike american xmas specials the British ones progress the story, I think each xmas special advances the plot 1 year.

There is another xmas special that aired after season 2 I think, and one that aired just 2 days ago. The show has imo gotten progressively worse over the years, but its a nice thing to watch with the wife/gf, bitches love that nobility shit. This years xmas special ending was probably the worst, especially the really dumb ending.

As someone said in the FOH thread, its pretty crazy to think that this show more or less takes place in the same timeline as Boardwalk Empire.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Spoiled for Christmas espisode

Haven't seen the Xmas special yet, but I know Dan Stevens quit, so they will have to axe Mathew Crawley and I read it was death. Personally, I think they should just have ended the show, rather than kill him...Or if he "wanted to pursue other acting jobs", why didn't they just write him as getting a job that required extensive travel, so he only had to appear for a few episodes a season? Either way, his death just adds too much drama to an already over-the-top season.

All in all, I felt season 2 was the best. But yeah, it's still a great show, even if Season 3 was weaker. And I was the one who mentioned Boardwalk--it's wild seeing how the high-end social structure in New York, is essentially considered scandalous/trashy by British standards in "roughly" the same social class. I know there is a huge difference between royalty and just being wealthy--but I'm talking in terms of things like when they were at the political convention and a lot of the senators were still dancing and wearing different suits and eating their food while walking--all things that were said to be inappropriate on Downton.

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
Well technically there have been two Christmas episodes. This year (end of Series 3) and last year (end of Series 2). Only last years actually had a Christmas theme though. This years finale just aired on Christmas day. Definitely watch last years Christmas episode BEFORE beginning Series 3.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yes, definitely. The wife and I actually skipped Season 2's Christmas Episode for a while because we were busy and we thought it was just like any old American shows Christmas special--IE almost completely separate from the plot, and just an episode for the holiday spirit. But the reality is that it's both a season finale and a bridge between seasons, it's probably the most important Episode you can watch.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Oh come on, seriously? I get that they have to shit up these peoples lives to create drama for the show, but that ending was ridiculous.

spronk

FPS noob
she was a goldigger, didn't go for any broke Wakandan

I don't know shit about british history but I was hoping they would have involved either IRA attacking them or some sort of anti-nobility faction doing an assassination, do something to push the characters to realize that maybe the rest of the world doesn't care about their traditions and worthless lives. But the show is pretty much a very high budget daytime soap opera, so I doubt it'll ever go there.

p.s. dont ever tell your wife it would be cool if the family got assassinated by the IRA, thats apparently a fucked up idea

Azrayne

Oh, that's shit. Next season is going to be awful without him,
and they only just stop whining about Sybil's death.

Azrayne

Seriously? You guys are that far behind? And they wonder why people torrent everything.

Anyway, spoilered.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anything that happened in Season 3 should be spoilered for now since it hasn't aired in the U.S.

I don't know why you are acting surprised that people haven't seen it. Not everyone pirates everything they watch.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
I was looking for a season 3 air date and most of the top results told me of ending in some form or manner. It is a stupid idea to have that length of time between two countries airing of the program. Remember the Olympics? It's as though the television execs refuse to acknowledge that the internet exists.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first result when googling "Downton Abbey Season 3" shows that the air date is January 6.

Not sure if you are asking when it starts or complaining that they don't show it at the same time across the world... to which I would agree with you.

Azrayne

I don't know why you are acting surprised that people haven't seen it. Not everyone pirates everything they watch.
I was surprised that it was airing in the US so far behind the UK.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
They are filming S4 now but do you know when they will air it in the UK? I read somewhere that the US might get their act a bit together and air it here closer to the UK's air time.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database