Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
blah double post~

rrr_img_83265.jpg

Hopefully they will make a ton of DLC and include more large creatures. I'd like to see more dragons, drakes, giants, manticores, and cyclops etc.

So far im a lil let down that 90% of the enemies you encounter are just normal sized, id have like to meet more large enemies.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Are you on Nightmare? I attempted the level 12 dragon but it seems fucking impossible.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok so the general feeling I am getting across the interwebs is that Knight Enchanter is OP because it can do Melee damage, restore its barrier and tank dragons like a boss. All well and good except I was getting my ass handed to me on non-boss fights maybe 1 out of 10 times. Now I don't mean I was wiping because Blackwall specced full tank/aggro is a BEAST and Dorian + Sera also weren't bad but even so I found myself having to carefully micromanage some fights because of the number of things that could happen to me.

This included getting stunned, staggered, dispelled, shield blocked, (rarely) having more damage done to me then I could get back with spirit blade and finally being unable to catch something to hit before my barrier ran out... again. On nightmare some of the spirits will kite the fuck out of you so I was using my Fade out and frost step thing like crazy while my party was killing everything. Didn't feel more effective then just a basic mage build I was using pre-specialization. And if you are wondering I had all of the KE tree minus the very last talent. The spirit tree barrier, Fire tree up to the cooldown reduction and frost tree up to barrier explode.

So I had a save right before I turned in KE and decided I'd go back and run through the Rift Mage line and give it a go. Itfeelsstronger. The spells aren't super showy but you can cast those stacking aoe's often and just weaken everything and watch it all melt. If Rift mage weaken stacks I'm going to spec Solas into it and see if I can break the game.

Anway I'm going to try and play the Rift mage through a semi full zone run and see if I still feel the same way after.
Well after my full run I'm not so sure anymore which is superior which is actually a good thing in my eyes. Better to be undecided between two good choices, imo.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just killed my first dragon, and became a reaver tonight. Good way to end my day before going to bed.
smile.png

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are you on Nightmare? I attempted the level 12 dragon but it seems fucking impossible.
Still seeming that way to me at L16 on Nightmare for the lowbie one (with a load of FR gear and Fire Wing of Solasas done at that)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Loving this. Have had some really annoying sound/ctd bugs though. Animations are awful, but cranking this up to ultra and plugging in the 60" has been really pretty and enjoyable. 19 hours in only lvl 8! Now I'm suffering from who to bring on missions... What parties are y'all rolling with?

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Loving this. Have had some really annoying sound/ctd bugs though. Animations are awful, but cranking this up to ultra and plugging in the 60" has been really pretty and enjoyable. 19 hours in only lvl 8! Now I'm suffering from who to bring on missions... What parties are y'all rolling with?
I went mage and stuck with the original party so far. I want Solas for the defensive abilities, Varric is in my group no matter what because I love him from the last game. I have been enjoying his back and forth with Cassandra but I could drop her for Blackwall or Bull. Bull's dialogue just from talking to him in the tavern is hilarious, but he isn't going to be anywhere near as tanky as the other two the way I built him.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Skipped a bunch of the quests to finish tonight. Ending was decent but post credits made up for it. In DA Keep make sure you make morrigan have a god child. Shit gets real later on if you do. Definiely my game of the year by a long shot despite the crappy AI and bugs. Can't for the DLC/expansion that will tie up the loose ends. I happily await the next DA.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
If it's the hinterlands dragon, this one can be destroyed with use of the geography. Also on highest difficulty and was getting smashed, so anytime he lifted off I put my group underneath the edge of the mountain in whichever direction he flew in. IE, if he flew north, he'll probably come flying back with breath in a southeast/west pattern, and being up against the mountain let the over hang shield me. When it gets low health, it sits on the high point, near the landmark. Kept my party underneath the same mountain, firing ranged at it, and when he summoned dragonlings, they converged on my group at that same point. (Exception being the ones that spawn on their own ledges.) I also kept my party relatively close to the dragon while it was on the ground, that way they don't do the "range" breath attack, just tail swipe, that suck ability and I think a cleave thing.

Approach it like an mmo raid boss fight - I've been trying to avoid reading much in the way of spoilers, but I try to assume that's what it is. The most dmging ability from dragons has been that "suck" ability where it pulls you in, so I try to position the dragon in such that I can use the environment to shield me. The dragon in Crestwood was like this, where there were pillars nearby, so you could sit on the opposite side of the pillar and get blocked from getting pulled in by it.

The AI sucks; when I was watching at E3 it seemed way better at actually reacting to situations appropriately but I assume it was an isolated build for the trailer. I can't get those idiots to do a damn thing. Some of the dragon fights I ran with two mages - one full spirit, the other all dmg but also having barrier and dispel. Really wish I could find a way to make their barriers stagger better - I even tried to take control most of the time to do it myself but it was just so difficult battling with them. They were always on cooldown with the same time remaining, and I don't think it had a shared cooldown.

The AI has only ever helped me a few times - mostly for following. Had an issue getting some stupid crystal on a dumbass ledge, and I had put my party on hold, but one of them didn't take the command, so it followed me. Because it was trying to land right on my ass, it warped up onto the ledge I was attempting to climb onto. Switched my POV and done and done.

And fuck you Mix for that Morrigan spoiler. =/

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
If it's the hinterlands dragon, this one can be destroyed with use of the geography. Also on highest difficulty and was getting smashed, so anytime he lifted off I put my group underneath the edge of the mountain in whichever direction he flew in. IE, if he flew north, he'll probably come flying back with breath in a southeast/west pattern, and being up against the mountain let the over hang shield me. When it gets low health, it sits on the high point, near the landmark. Kept my party underneath the same mountain, firing ranged at it, and when he summoned dragonlings, they converged on my group at that same point. (Exception being the ones that spawn on their own ledges.) I also kept my party relatively close to the dragon while it was on the ground, that way they don't do the "range" breath attack, just tail swipe, that suck ability and I think a cleave thing.

Approach it like an mmo raid boss fight - I've been trying to avoid reading much in the way of spoilers, but I try to assume that's what it is. The most dmging ability from dragons has been that "suck" ability where it pulls you in, so I try to position the dragon in such that I can use the environment to shield me. The dragon in Crestwood was like this, where there were pillars nearby, so you could sit on the opposite side of the pillar and get blocked from getting pulled in by it.

The AI sucks; when I was watching at E3 it seemed way better at actually reacting to situations appropriately but I assume it was an isolated build for the trailer. I can't get those idiots to do a damn thing. Some of the dragon fights I ran with two mages - one full spirit, the other all dmg but also having barrier and dispel. Really wish I could find a way to make their barriers stagger better - I even tried to take control most of the time to do it myself but it was just so difficult battling with them. They were always on cooldown with the same time remaining, and I don't think it had a shared cooldown.

The AI has only ever helped me a few times - mostly for following. Had an issue getting some stupid crystal on a dumbass ledge, and I had put my party on hold, but one of them didn't take the command, so it followed me. Because it was trying to land right on my ass, it warped up onto the ledge I was attempting to climb onto. Switched my POV and done and done.

And fuck you Mix for that Morrigan spoiler. =/
Slight suggestion, set one of the mages to not use Barrier at all, when you see the one who is autocasting it's barrier wear off, tactical pause and cast it on the other one. Obviously we should have Origins level control so that they do this themselves, but this works.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The way I do it for barrier with 2 mages is have one of them with a preferred barrier(solas who's spirit speced) and have the other mage with other stuff preferred(damage spells). Generally it means they'll cast their preferred stuff first, so they'll spend the first few seconds in a fight casting a bunch of other shit, then barrier, while Solas barrier right away, which puts them on different cooldowns then it works out fine, mostly. Though having one not cast barrier at all is better for pure control obviously. On my mage playthrough it was a ton easier, I'd just let Solas do his then cast mine whenever his was down.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For someone who didn't particularly love DA:O and never played DA2 but loves RPGs, is this worth the $60 price tag or should I wait until it's like $30?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
For someone who didn't particularly love DA:O and never played DA2 but loves RPGs, is this worth the $60 price tag or should I wait until it's like $30?
Well its pretty much a guaranteed 50+ hour game.. even if you don't do all the side stuff. So if a dollar an hour (likely less than that) is worth it to you then yes. I loved DA:O and I beat DA2 but barely remember it because it was trash. I definitely don't get all the references made to the other games, but the game is so good it doesn't matter. I think if you never played the other games it would still be GOTY, you just might miss some of the background plot. This is my GOTY hands down and may be the only single player game I do a second playthrough.

On another note, still trying to figure out the Skyhold upgrades. Not sure if the Chantry is going to provide much money vs farming rare herbs and selling/using them for mats. I keep looking for more information about it daily but no one seems to be posting about it on any of the major forums.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Only 20 hours in, but its been far more enjoyable than any other AAA game this year for me. I didn't think I'd play much of it until I burned out on WOD, but I started Saturday and have hardly logged into WOW since. It has a ton of niggly little bullshit bugs, the AI & animations aren't very good either - but its fun as hell and definitely leaps and bounds better than DA2 (which itself wasn't even a "bad game"). Either way, its only $60 and not a single person on this board has hated it. Should tell you something.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
It actually $45 on G2A. Liking it so far, the world is not as dark as DAO, and I even managed to finish DAO. DAI def has some kind of Skyrim feel in it, which is very very good.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The best thing by far is the companions banter while travelling, Iron Bull and Vivienne are just awesome together.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm at 11 hours with only half the hinterlands done. I can already tell I'm going to fall victim to "save it for later" all the way until the end. I hate the feeling I'm going to screw up a choice, whether it's using components, spending perk points, power etc. Everytime I play a game like this I end up with 100s of saved up components that I always felt should be saved for when I might need them more.

There seems to be lots of Inquisition Perk choices and it's tough to figure out what to be picking.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The best thing by far is the companions banter while travelling, Iron Bull and Vivienne are just awesome together.
I use Sera now, not taken her out of my party since I got her. Rather try to substitute in different people to see her dialog with them.

This game makes me want Dragons Dogma AI for the companions though. Still not played a game where the companions felt more "alive" than in that, along with not feeling like micromanagement was needed. Companions being able to loot things was also a major plus that I am surprised no other game has done since (to my knowledge).

They need to remake or make a sequel to that game...

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I use Sera now, not taken her out of my party since I got her. Rather try to substitute in different people to see her dialog with them.

This game makes me want Dragons Dogma AI for the companions though. Still not played a game where the companions felt more "alive" than in that, along with not feeling like micromanagement was needed. Companions being able to loot things was also a major plus that I am surprised no other game has done since (to my knowledge).

They need to remake or make a sequel to that game...
Dragon's Dogma was awesome. I need to revisit this game.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I prefer the Dungeon style in DD to DA - it was darker, grittier, and deadlier. However to DA defense it doesnt really have many dungeons and thats a shame tbh. AI in DA i dont really see too differently from DD so long as you customize them right, but im not playing on nightmare so i cant really attest to that in all situations.

I do wish/hope the next DD has the darker atmosphere that DD had even in its wilderness but even if it doesnt i wont totally mind.