Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Hamburger Helper?

rrr_img_65418.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kind of ridiculous for fans to crucify her over a 6 year old answer to a question in which she described almost precisely the feature that ended up being implemented in L.A. Noire, a AAA title by Rockstar.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yes, it was very stupid. God forbid a game have an easy mode for people that just want the story. The horror!

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
If you don't want to play games and just watch stories sure, a movie might have been a better medium in my opinion.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Kind of ridiculous for fans to crucify her over a 6 year old answer to a question in which she described almost precisely the feature that ended up being implemented in L.A. Noire, a AAA title by Rockstar.
Well, I felt bad for her. Then she started with the, "You are all just jealous I work for a game developer and have a vagina!" and I lost what little sympathy I had worked up.

I'll do what I do with most games these days. Pirate the original release and if it's a good game will purchase the GOTY edition with all the DLC included.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the category of not minding if games like DA, LA Noire etc have options for no gameplay. But if the gameplay sucks or is non-existent I'm not playing them. Same reason I loved State of Decay but couldn't get into the walking dead games.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
'No gameplay' games were huge in the 80's/90's. The puzzle-adventure games were basically just 95% story and were great. I love Gabriel Knight, Discworld, 7th guest, King's Quest, Space Police, etc...

Gecko_sl

shitlord
'No gameplay' games were huge in the 80's/90's. The puzzle-adventure games were basically just 95% story and were great. I love Gabriel Knight, Discworld, 7th guest, King's Quest, Space Police, etc...
I was thinking the same thing. What's the problem of having more options? It seems a good thing to me.

I like the idea of story mode, personally, especially for games that have a good story but awful gameplay.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I liked adventure games, but you couldn't skip ahead in those old adventure games if you failed a part of the mission, Or didn't figure something out. I guess what I really dislike isn't the story but I feel the story is a reward for figuring out the puzzle or whatever, if you can skip the "game" part of the game it seems meaningless as a game.

iannis

Musty Nester
They were a very different type of gameplay though. They did a much better job of presenting the story AS the game.

And honestly they were better games, regardless of the differences in gameplay, because of it. But you can't co-op a game of Myst and there isn't a whole lot of replay value in it.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Fair enough. It's still gameplay even if it's just a glorified game of square peg, square hole.

It does raise an interesting point though. With the advent of the internet we saw a death of the genre for a long time because spoilers pointed out how poorly these games rested on just their stories. No amount of writing could justify a 60 dollar box price. Even worse now with "let's play" twitch streams and whatnot being as popular as they are (bonus points if gamrgrl01 has her top off).

I mean there's room for a few one-off's that make news because of their non-standard 'gameplay' but the lack of a deluge of copycats should indicate that basically an interactive movie isn't going to be that big of a hit. The choose your own adventure genre story-driven gmae is going to be the realm of Hentai daiting sims I think for quite some time yet.