Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am on the PS4 and pretty much playing spoiler free, beyond looking up some details on the specialization quests. It is pretty easy to trivialize most of this game with the normal crafting and figuring out where the weak points in the AI are. Are the dupes across all platforms or just PC?

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Storm Coast dragon absolutely stomped me on my first playthrough at level 17ish. (Nightmare) I am not looking forward to him again, but it might actually be easier this time since I'm melee and not ranged.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Storm Coast dragon absolutely stomped me on my first playthrough at level 17ish. (Nightmare) I am not looking forward to him again, but it might actually be easier this time since I'm melee and not ranged.
I only killed 6/10 (skipped Emprise/Wastes altogether) and Vinsomer was by far the hardest. The lightning AE + Vortex is just rape when you gotta control 4 characters who all want to stand on each other.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I only killed 6/10 (skipped Emprise/Wastes altogether) and Vinsomer was by far the hardest. The lightning AE + Vortex is just rape when you gotta control 4 characters who all want to stand on each other.
Yea, this time I think i'll probably craft some resist gear and have them chug some tonics before I go in. I'm cautiously optimistic; Hinterlands was a far easier fight than it was prior, because my group makeup is mostly melee which limits what he can do. The adds mix it up a bit though. (And humorously, some red templars joined the fight halfway through? Wut.)

So we'll see. Heh.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Vinsomer (Storm Coast) was more rapey than the others I've fought, except for Hinterlands. I blame a big part of that on bringing a crew I don't use much, but he was still more boss than normal. Of course my guard war stayed above half guard the entire fight while everyone else died repeatedly.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Finally beat this, 93 hours with most of the side quests done (didn't do IB's quest and missed a few collections). Best game I've played in a long time and the story was pretty good (and obv sets up for DLC as usual). Now if only we could get some LotR, futuristic, or steam punk games that are similar quality my life could be complete. I'd fight the shit out of some cyborg dragons.

I can finally start playing Farcry 4!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Iron Bull's quest takes like 10 minutes.

I was actually surprised how short some of the companion quests were.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I absolutely cannot get into this game as a rogue and it's depressing the shit out of me since it's my favorite in nearly all RPGs and was done really well in DA2.

What the fuck is with the clunky ass camera and movement as melee? Especially in the very beginning with little ways to close gaps, but even Twin Fangs is weird as shit and gets stuck on all kinds of shit. The default dagger motions are weird and don't track very well, making me move 1-2 inches during combat constantly where it should auto connect like in 2. Moving during combat isn't my complaint, it's hard to explain, it's this weird annoying ass inching around to chase targets instead of me actually feeling like I'm moving to attack them. Anyway. Also, the camera is so hard to flow with as melee making it impossible to switch targets the way I'm used to as a rogue dealing heavy damage, especially with the target locking the way it is with the zoom. I don't know.

And then there's archery. What the fuck? The most goddamn boring animation I've ever seen and it's so slow. I know all the classes are just holding R2 and occasionally pressing a button, but the important part is that it almost never feels like that's what you're doing. In the case of archery, it is far too boring to let me even try to get into it and I really love the concept of being an archer/rogue type.

I'm sorry there is not much value to this post other than me venting, but I had to.

Can anyone tell me if it gets better with the 'special' classes in Skyhold and having access to a lot more skills?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So I finished this and figured I would comment. Just under 100 hours. I will play through again. Going to spoiler some of it.

Great game overall. The main story is very short even if it is quite good. The side quests and intrigue you find in the zones more than makes up for the short main story as it all ties in together. I found myself doing every single side quest with the exception of some of the collection garbage and closing every rift. I might go back and close all the rifts as I probably only have 8 or so left. I started out thinking I was going to hate the war map and aside from some complaints about how things are shown on it I found myself always running back to get mission results and see how things were working out.

Overall I'd say the cast of characters is excellent. I despised Cassandra at the start but she ended up growing on me as the game went on. I was hoping to have Leliana as the new divine but I didn't romance Cassandra in this version and not sure if that matters or not.

I did romance Josephine and that tight ass cunt didn't put out. Did all her story missions, hearted her when I had the chance and made the effort to ask her to join me often to try and pre heat the oven before I stuck the turkey in. No dice on getting her in the sack.

I ended up liking everyone in the end although some of the characters had better story quests than others.

I can't shake the fact though that Leliana's story and interaction in game was very weak compared to the rest and how epic her actual life was. Now it gets saved because of the very epic part in the fairly early game with all the time travel but after that there isn't much of anything to her. The story quest was ok, but for someone of her level of intrigue and given her involvement with the PC in other games it felt really flat in the end. I kept going back to her hoping some new cut scenes would open up and once her story mission opened I thought "woo hoo here we go finally!" but after she gets the box it was just kind of meh you saved the nun big deal. I guess it might make more impact if she is selected divine. I found it disappointing given her epic interaction in the past with the PC.

The ending was a bit anti climatic although some what expected. The story board was fair. The very end with Solas as the dread wolf going after flemeth offers up some info on the next game which looks like it could be interesting. Her whole involvement and Morrigan was probably some of the best lore in the game and really sets up the next game well. Seems too good for DLC.

Great game.

I enjoyed the combat, despite the balance being terrible.

I felt the world map could of indicated zone levels a bit better than just on the main story missions. I ended up doing content that was challenging and a level or so over only to find some of the other areas were actually many levels under me. End result was some challenging game play and then face roll the rest of the game. If they couldn't get scaling right they could of at least placed a recommended level on the quest / zones.

Zones were very well made. Lots of content packed in with enough of a reason to lurk around that it was rewarding.

Loot in this game sucks. Lots of trash. Same with the chests and the locked doors. Just no reason to really get excited about them for the most part. This could of been much better. The lore inside these places made up for it some but I want some loot.

I really enjoyed the nods to the previous games characters.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
No AE looting + way too much filler crap, mixing valuables with research items, lots of repeat effects on materials, etc. I think itemization in the game is lacking.

What's up with locking my inventory when I enter a fight? Are you supposed to enter the fight with the dragon, see their resists, and then leave to get yourself sorted? That's wicked gay. I have different staves, belts, tonics, armor extensions, etc. to mess with. I should be able to scout their weaknesses with an eyeglass or something. I don't see retreating from a flying t-rex as a plausible choice, but that's how it be.

Dragon in the pit was rough. I had to solo it to finish b/c my boys just couldn't keep their shit together.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Reaver spec is making this solo run a lot more interesting.
Anybody know how to keep Youtube from turning 720p recordings into complete ass?
Even my lowest quality pass looks 10x better than anything that shows up after upload.
Immediately after upload it won't show all resolutions, but I dunno what you did wrong.

Oh yeah if you click Watch on youtube and force select 720p it comes in fine.

I feel like this game should have had dodge rolls, rather than movement abilities taking up one of your 8 hotbar slots.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I agree with most of that.

Leliana I also thought was very meh. I was a little disappointed that her "crisis" point was once again the whole "I like being a bard but am I a bad person?!" That was essentially the major character decision you make in DA:O as well. I LIKED the idea that Leliana embraced spymistress in DA:I, because I sort of thought it was very necessary to who she is as a person. She's an "End justifies the means" person, but she's also extremely compassionate and a good person. Reconciling that you can be both ruthless and cunning when necessary to make sure evil doesn't win overall is sort of what I saw for her. Rehashing it in this game just felt really blah. My second playthrough was a Leliana/Fem warden romance, and while I haven't finished it, I am getting a bit more insight into her, but overall not much. I'm curious what she will say when it comes to the Divine. She's already told me when the Inquisition's purpose is fulfilled she is joining the Warden on whatever quest they are on, so we'll see.

Also agree with the anti-climatic ending. To me, DA:I seems more like an ME2 or AC: Revelations. Really cool as far as fleshing out the world, the motivations, the people etc, but overall not fully progressing the story. We know crazy shit is happening, but Corypheus was just a "by the by" enemy. He took advantage of the situation, but he is not the main issue. I wanted something more oomphy; ME2 had a fantastic finale despite it not being the Reapers, but I am somewhat optimistic that a real expansion might be forthcoming that is sort of a better note to leave off of.

DA:I had some really fantastic mind blowing revelations though which I loved. Finding out lyrium is alive and that red lyrium is lyrium with the blight was really cool. Flemeth as Mythal and Solas as the dread wolf? Also fucking cool.

I had a few gripes over all. I was really excited for this game when they were talking about it all those months but they fell short with a lot of what they wanted to do I feel. Nothing that makes me shy away, but I do feel a bit let down. I am happy it wasn't a shitty game though.

The other issue is that I actually don't feel as connected to my Inquisitor as I did my Warden or Hawke. I have no idea why. In Here Lies the Abyss, if I had been able to let my Inquisitor bite it over Hawke or Stroud, I would have.

The characters, while written really well, felt more wishy washy to me. I was pleasantly surprised by Cassandra. I expected to hate her, thinking that she would be this super strict warrior of heaven or some crap, and it turns out she is one of the most reasonable people on my team. My mages are bigger supporters of the Chantry, like wow. And not in who they are, but who they are in regards to the Inquisitor. All of the characters were great, but I didn't feel like many of them really gave a damn. That might be because of the way reputation works, but on my second playthrough I paid close attention to choices and made the most of positives. Unless certain choices cancel out things, or cannot co-exist with other choices, these people should fucking love me.

Overall a great game though.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Took me a month, due to low play times, to get out of Hinterlands. I didn't 100% it by any means. Only level 5. But getting back to Haven, learning all the crafting stuff, and getting to the war room to start doing those missions has been really cool.

I've also added Sera and Vivienne to my party. Quick question on that though. What would be the point of not taking them in? You can choose who you want in your party, and change it up whenever, so why would anyone just neglect them? Changes the story?

Also, with my super low play times, I was playing on Nightmare, and things were going slow as shit. Lots of deaths, lots of resting. Dropped it down to Casual, and while the fights are stupid easy, at least I feel like I'm getting something done when I play for 20 minutes. Will probably settle on something in the middle, like Hard to balance it out.

I can't decide between Cassandra, Solas, Vivienne, or Cassandra, Varric, Sera. Or just balanced and go 1 mage, 1 rogue. I'm a 2 handed warrior, but I feel like the 2 mages would be really awesome. But having a dagger rogue, would be neat too.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Took me a month, due to low play times, to get out of Hinterlands. I didn't 100% it by any means. Only level 5. But getting back to Haven, learning all the crafting stuff, and getting to the war room to start doing those missions has been really cool.

I've also added Sera and Vivienne to my party. Quick question on that though. What would be the point of not taking them in? You can choose who you want in your party, and change it up whenever, so why would anyone just neglect them? Changes the story?

Also, with my super low play times, I was playing on Nightmare, and things were going slow as shit. Lots of deaths, lots of resting. Dropped it down to Casual, and while the fights are stupid easy, at least I feel like I'm getting something done when I play for 20 minutes. Will probably settle on something in the middle, like Hard to balance it out.

I can't decide between Cassandra, Solas, Vivienne, or Cassandra, Varric, Sera. Or just balanced and go 1 mage, 1 rogue. I'm a 2 handed warrior, but I feel like the 2 mages would be really awesome. But having a dagger rogue, would be neat too.
Unless you're controlling them personally, Dagger Rogues are a huge liability on hard and nightmare. They just take way too goddamn much damage.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
How is this guy dodge rolling here? Is this an item skill or a Reaver skill or something? Pretty sweet.
Combat Roll (with Roll With It) dead center of the Battlemaster skill tree.
I decided to play this game like Dark Souls, so the roll was imperative.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The issue with loot from dragons is that by the time you are killing dragons, you don't need any loot.

However, dragons do drop the best crafting materials in the game, so they give you access to the highest dps weapons.