Dragon's Dogma 2

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd say it's more "generic" than a souls. If you've played Kingdom of Amalur for example, this kind of stuff. Has standard quests with side quests and all that, less punishing than souls, combat is more action focused. The big selling points is the classes being fun and nice to play with a good variety of playstyles and fighting large monsters in a "party" with NPCs and letting you climb on the monsters so you can go hit them in their stupid face instead of just whacking at their legs.

It's a bit janky but a very fun and enjoyable game imo, like more something you can just relax and kill some big monsters in a couch rather than be stressed some piss soaked hobo is going to jump scare you into falling to your death for the 14th time in the past hour. I do love Souls but sometimes you just want to not think too hard about killing stuff.
I don’t think it’s fair to compare the questing to amalur. Amalur was dozens of very generic fetch stuff all over the place. DD had some things like that but no where near the amount.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dark Arisen is still best addon/sequel to a base game imo - shit was dark and fun as shit to explore. Sadly DD came out around time everyone was going crazy over Skyrim. Imo this was far more enjoyable but everyone has their own taste in that regard.
That’s the version I got.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This and Stalker 2 are the main games I am looking forward to for at least the first half of the year.
I'm still a bit mixed on stalker if just because of their grandstanding that omg if world keys Russia invade we won't release etc. Heck shouldn't most of them been drafted.

Given the state of things it might make the countries top 10 export for the year

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don’t think it’s fair to compare the questing to amalur. Amalur was dozens of very generic fetch stuff all over the place. DD had some things like that but no where near the amount.
I didn't mean specifically the quests but more like, everything. Sure they're different games and I think Dragon's Dogma is a lot better, but they're the same brand of somewhat generic action RPG, with a main story, some side quests, gear upgrade, get more skills as you level, class centric, 3rd person action combat with a bigger focus on faster pace and somewhat "arcade-y" combat than games like Souls or Monster Hunter(other than Rise). I think they're very similar, just Dragon's Dogma is better in most regards, the combat is more fun, the classes are more fun, the sidequests are sometimes more fun(some of them are boring usual shit), the main story... well it's not much different it's kinda whatever. Dragon's Dogma has a larger more open world but it's still relatively small but iirc Amalur was just zones so that's still better.

To me Kingdom of Amalur is a lot closer to DD than Dark Souls is in terms of what type of game they are. Maybe another one would be Fable. Interestingly for as "generic" the formula feels, I can't think of that many titles that do this exact thing of traditional RPG with action combat.

Anyway it's worth playing the game to see what it's about imo, it goes on sale all the time especially on PC.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New Trickster video from IGN

Very interesting concept, I don't know how good it'll be, as it looks very gimmicky, especially for the tougher boss fights stuff, but there's likely a bunch of higher tier skills not shown in that demo they played so there's room for more stuff.

The whole setting your clone onto cliffs with fake ground to get stuff to jump after them definitely feels gimmicky as shit but depending on how it works on higher end enemies and how fast you kill average encounters, I feel it might be a great way to powerlevel at some point. The forced stagger+buff pawn combo for minibosses looked like it'd be strong, assuming pawns dmg doesn't fall off(the demo is likely balanced for journalists, aka easy shit so hard to say there).

Definitely not a "first run" material class, but likely one for replays once you know what to expect and how to exploit it best. I could see it ended up broken but also boring as fuck so we'll see I guess.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
cute tricks, but that shit looked so useless. I guess it'll depend on how good the party buffs are whether it'll be worth a slot. It would have to increase attack a LOT to be worth it over an actual attacking class.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
cute tricks, but that shit looked so useless. I guess it'll depend on how good the party buffs are whether it'll be worth a slot. It would have to increase attack a LOT to be worth it over an actual attacking class.
Yeah but unless they massively reduced the amount of skills, what they've shown so far should be a small part of the overall kit of classes. Every class in DD1 had like 8-10skills per weapons and 2-3 weapons per class plus there was 2-3 ranks of most skills which got better as you upgraded them, so what they've shown here feels very limited. Not sure if they cut the multiple weapon per class thing but I'd be surprised if the class can only make wall, ground, dragon, aoe aggro, party buff with clone and astral projection likely being core skills(unrelated to weapon) and single target aggro being just basic attacks. There's likely 2-3 more skills, and upgrade to these skills and if they cut weapons I'd expect double that hopefully.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
They will probably add something like if illusions attack they get a debuff or they explode for knockdown etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh that last video was quite nice, lots of new footage and a few interesting bits.

No quest markers is surprising(maybe optional?) since handholding is the name of the game lately, I guess without quest markers you will need a 2nd playthrough to get all the sidequests done with a guide since I assume some quests will still be time sensitive. Them going back to 10k gold ferrystone(assuming gold is about the same as the original) is also an interesting choice(the infinite ferrystone was too strong, but there's a middly ground inbetween), the city to city cart travel sounds nice enough as a option for inbetween until lategame when you can afford to just spam teleports. Pawns actually being useful at indicating there's secrets and what not sounds great. There were some new locations in that video(the inside of some castle with orcs similar to the Shadow Keep) and some details on classes too(warriors having a mini rythm check to keep speed up, sorcs having a meditation skill to regenerate stamina quickly inbetween big spells). Also you unlock some(maybe all?) of them via quests, instead of requiring you level base classes, which is great. I hated having to grind Fighter and Mage to unlock Warrior and Sorc and the others, apparently guy did a quest and unlocked both Warrior and Sorcerer out of them and that's likely pretty early too since he only played 10hours.

Also one big change that was mentionned is healing items do not heal over the "reduced cap" of healing unlike the 1st game. In the first game, you can use healing spells in combat to heal your "grey bar" but you always lose a bit of max hp and eventually you have to use items to heal that. Effectively however it means once you have infinite healing materials you can just spam items and not bother with the heal spells at all and never have to care about the systems. In this one, assuming journalist guy isn't wrong here, healing items only function the same as healing spells, they only heal the grey bar. The only way to refill max hp seems to be camping or resting at an inn. There might be rare consumables that help with that later on too but that makes my worry of spamming herbs(which have no animation/cooldown apparently) to trivialize everything not nearly as important, since getting hit a lot will mean your max hp will get fucked up.

I hope Capcom releases a video series like they do for MHW for each vocation, I want to see that spear thing and the sort of changes they made to magick archer which was one of my favorite class in the original.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Disappointed to see in that video that the stamina bar still depletes while running when out of combat. If they are really going for an explore and travel everywhere on foot theme, then that is going to be frustrating

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Disappointed to see in that video that the stamina bar still depletes while running when out of combat. If they are really going for an explore and travel everywhere on foot theme, then that is going to be frustrating
Yeah I noticed that one too, and it drained real fucking fast too, that's really something they should have copied from other games. It's obviously fine if you're in combat but when out of combat it should not drain or drain much slower than normal if you really don't want ppl perma sprinting. That or obviously mounts.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
No exclamation points over NPC's heads, no over-the-top animations, limited POI's on your map, realistic art style, and fog of war. I hope this game is successful and other devs take notice. Even the good games that have the "QoL" features make you feel like you're playing the UI rather than engaging with the world.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
No exclamation points over NPC's heads, no over-the-top animations, limited POI's on your map, realistic art style, and fog of war. I hope this game is successful and other devs take notice. Even the good games that have the "QoL" features make you feel like you're playing the UI rather than engaging with the world.
Might be able to turn that all on under accessibility.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

It's the game design that requires the !'s over everything, or having to follow a guide, that's as much of a problem as the UI itself.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If NPCs are actually approaching you to give you quests, that's a hell of a lot better.

This is looking really good so far. I'm not going to pre order, but it's looking like a day 1 purchase unless there's some major issue at launch. Leaning towards PC, but maybe I'll get it on PS5.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New trailer from PS5 announcements

Edit: Can't switch classes midfight, instead is a new class that can use multiple classes with low stats. Still cool as fuck.