Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey

nu_11

kickstarter
Independently produced and funded by Red Thread Games, this project brings back the core team behind Dreamfall, including Ragnar T?rnquist, creator of The Longest Journey saga.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Best game series ever. So glad Ragnar finally got away from Funcom, since it was clear that they had no interest in ever completing the series themselves.

By the way, don't watch that video (or read the entire Kickstarter page) if you have managed to make it to 2013 without having played TLJ and Dreamfall, but you still desire to repent your heresy before it's too late. Massive spoilers abound.

Scyfi

N00b
Playing The Longest Journey now is a bit hard as it is very dated. But at the very least everyone should read the story on wiki and play Dreamfall.

I am kinda surprised no one has done an update on it, seems like it would be easy to do with TLJ.

nu_11

Playing The Longest Journey now is a bit hard as it is very dated.But at the very least everyone should read the story on wikiand play Dreamfall.

I am kinda surprised no one has done an update on it, seems like it would be easy to do with TLJ.
No. Just play the game and use a guide for the puzzle.

Really? Read the wiki?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
This is the first kickstarter that I'm seriously considering supporting. I've been waiting for this game since I discovered this series.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finally, one of the best gaming series is being continued!

This is the first kickstarter that gets my money.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
TLJ was amazing, Dreamfall puzzles were way too easy and the "combat" was pretty terribad but the story was fucking good. I am all over this to see a sequel.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would love to support this game but jesus fuck release a patch that makes The Longest Journey work on Win7

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would love to support this game but jesus fuck release a patch that makes The Longest Journey work on Win7
Not sure what you mean. Both the original cd version from 2000 and the GOG version work fine in Windows 7. At most you should only have to edit the preferences.ini file and maybe fiddle with your video card control panel until it scales the game properly with black bars on the sides to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

They should do a kind of HD remake for these games before making a sequel.
Eh, I think we've been waiting quite long enough for an ending to the story. Remaking TLJ so that it is no longer 640x480 would involve a tremendous amount of work on the art assets, and the only thing wrong with Dreamfall is that the game design had to work around shitty xbox hardware, resulting in tons of shoebox-size maps. Not much could be done there either really.

Also, Red Thread doesn't have the rights to do anything with TLJ or Dreamfall anyway.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I think Ubisoft has thoroughly demonstrated their disinterest in this IP so I highly doubt we'll ever see and HD remake or even a patch for Win7. I think the best we could hope for is if this one does well enough that Red Thread can buy the entire IP from Ubi.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure what you mean. Both the original cd version from 2000 and the GOG version work fine in Windows 7. At most you should only have to edit the preferences.ini file and maybe fiddle with your video card control panel until it scales the game properly with black bars on the sides to maintain the correct aspect ratio.
There are a lot of problems for people running Win7 64 bit and people who, for some odd reason, are on laptops. I have both of those problems.

I did buy it on Steam so maybe that is the issue... I'll have to check out the GOG version and see if it's any different.

Arica_sl

shitlord
I have it on steam and im using windows 7 on a desktop and it runs fine. I did have a pointer that was ... oddly shaped but it didnt prevent me from clicking items and/or combining them. I am not that far in though, so maybe its something later in the game?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Originally the game worked fine for me except for the fact that none of the cutscenes worked... which I thought was pretty important. After adjusting a number of settings recommended by a shit ton of different posts out there, including disabling nvidia 3d, using integrated graphics only, messing with the display options, changing the power options, editing preferences.ini, running the game in Win XP compatibility mode, etc. etc. etc., I've completely fucked the installation to the point where it won't even boot up now. Keeps giving me some Steam cannot be found error even after uninstalling and reinstalling both the game and Steam.

it works fine on my desktop just like it does for you. But there is some weird combination of specs that produce this comedy of errors and if you check the Steam forums, a lot of people have the problem too.