Dredd 2 (2024 Confirmed!)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dredd 2012 is such a total remake of The Raid. Villain controls a building, locks law enforcement in, starts movie by brutally killing 3 tenants to make an example of them, tells the building on the intercom what's up, everyone clears out while her minions search every floor for the cops. Also there's a giant center balcony area where you can look up or down from floor to floor. They get a tenant to let them in so they can hide from the patrols, at great risk to said tenant.

It's amazing they didn't get sued by the makers of The Raid actually because they sure took a lot from it. The Raid is even more brutal though, Indonesian movie so it wasn't limited by American studio sensibilities.

Anyone who hasn't see The Raid and likes Dredd, do yourself a favor and check it out. Both Raid movies are good, first one is the Dredd one and might be the best action movie I've ever seen.

You may not have heard of 2000AD but check the date on the cover fella.

2000ad182.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That would be another Olivia actually. Olivia Rodrigo.

Damn, she fine.

Thirlby was quite a looker in her day too though. We should just turn this into the Olivia Thirlby Thread

1692040953676.png

1692040964486.png

1692041030064.png

1692041040022.png

1692041073415.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright, so Dredd was released too close after The Raid for it to have been a "remake". I thought The Raid was 2010 for some reason.

Still, a 2011 release is enough time to emulate it a bit during Dredd's production.

Either that or Kaines Kaines is right that it was an idea someone had seen in script form and decided to do a similar take on.

Seriously, watch both movies back to back. I saw both again within the last 3 months and was shocked at how similar the first 20 minutes of Dredd is to the first 20 minutes of The Raid.

The similarities dwindle after that (outside of hiding in an apartment from goons and maybe the crooked cop revelation late in the movie).

The first 20 minutes, though? Almost feels like a 1:1 remake in a few scenes. Even has similar music during the "lockdown" scenes, which are shot the same way.

Watch both movies back and tell me what you think.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not talking shit about The Raid but ill take My man Dredd fucking shit up and other judges all by himself for the most part

Also Thirlby is one of those people that can look super gorgeous and then mediocre

Last edited:

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don’t recall ever watching The Raid, but I highly doubt I would put it in the same tier as Dredd.

Dredd was an outstanding flick that stayed true to the source material and went ham from beginning to end. Watched it recently and it holds up no problem.

Highly recommend.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don’t recall ever watching The Raid

You're missing out.

I went back and watched Juno just to see what Ellen Page was spending so much time banging. Wow this movie is annoying. I'm sure 15 years ago it was a good time but now everything about it is just obnoxious to me. All quirky and shit and quietly legitimizing adults flirting with kids while making pro-life activists look dumb. I watched it so you don't have to.

Anyway here's Olivia Thirlby in the movie, all wearing a plaid skirt and bouncing around:

20230821_070127.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
happens a lot 2 similar movies release at the same time. i always just put it down to studios trying to out jew each other. like 1991 robin hoods, or 2006 the prestige and the illusionist.

the raid is fucking awesome by the way, well worth watching and different enough in "style" from dredd, if not in plot. the mini boss henchman is a bad motherfucker and the fight scenes are off the hook. there's one where the hero grabs a dude and pulls his face down onto a broken door and it was just one of many "fuuuuuck" moments in that film.

so yeah, another recommendation to see the raid if you haven't already. i'd also ask to stop bumping this fucking thread because every time i see it on the front page i feel a small pang of hope and i'm tired of it. fucking thread has been messing with us for 10 years now.

• 1Popcorn

Fadaar

That guy
The Raid is like a fuckin RPG tower climb except its everyone beating the shit out of each other

spronk

FPS noob
dredd is now on netflix

the 2012 one. Also most of the Raid movies are on there now too along with all (?) of the fast and furious movies

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 8 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just watched this on Netflix. This movie could have come out today and it would have been just as awesome. Really wish we could have gotten a 2nd movie showing those two going after more badass criminals.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just watched this on Netflix. This movie could have come out today and it would have been just as awesome. Really wish we could have gotten a 2nd movie showing those two going after more badass criminals.
I know it probably wouldn't work with the tone they set in this movie, but I'd love a Judge Death-based sequel. It would cost a lot more due to effects I'm sure, but seeing the "Gaze into the fist of Dredd!" scene in real life would be fantastic.

As an aside, for those looking for more movies like The Raid (but not so much like Dredd per se), The Night Comes For Us is another good one, was on Netflix at one point so hopefully still is. Has a great chick fight too.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
dredd is now on netflix

the 2012 one. Also most of the Raid movies are on there now too along with all (?) of the fast and furious movies
Ah I just opened up Netflix and Dredd was the little auto-playing background they always do so was going to come here to post it, but you beat me to it. This more than likely means that Dredd 2 is now officially in production.

• 1Mother of God

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
You're missing out.

I went back and watched Juno just to see what Ellen Page was spending so much time banging. Wow this movie is annoying. I'm sure 15 years ago it was a good time but now everything about it is just obnoxious to me. All quirky and shit and quietly legitimizing adults flirting with kids while making pro-life activists look dumb. I watched it so you don't have to.

Anyway here's Olivia Thirlby in the movie, all wearing a plaid skirt and bouncing around:

View attachment 487511
The raid 2 is one of the most brutal fucking movies ever. Dredd 2 should be more brutal, if it ever happens. Maybe have Billy Butcher take Vought floor by floor if it cant get done otherwise.

• 1Popcorn

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I know it probably wouldn't work with the tone they set in this movie, but I'd love a Judge Death-based sequel. It would cost a lot more due to effects I'm sure, but seeing the "Gaze into the fist of Dredd!" scene in real life would be fantastic.

As an aside, for those looking for more movies like The Raid (but not so much like Dredd per se), The Night Comes For Us is another good one, was on Netflix at one point so hopefully still is. Has a great chick fight too.

Is Judge Death supernatural? Cause from what I've seen it looks pretty damn supernatural and yeah they kind of avoided that tone in this movie. (Aside from psychics existing, which is more of a radiation thing)

Still count me in on wanting to see Judge Death, if only because he's Dredd's nastiest foil. Maybe we can get a movie for Judge Rico too in the meantime lawl. Might have been an ideal trilogy, IDK. Most of my Dredd knowledge is only off the two movies and the SNES game (which covered the first movie, then after you defeat Rico you go to Hell or something to fight more judges...game was wild)

• 1Like

Goatface

Is Judge Death supernatural? Cause from what I've seen it looks pretty damn supernatural and yeah they kind of avoided that tone in this movie. (Aside from psychics existing, which is more of a radiation thing)
judge death is a power/spirit/ghost from another dimension, he takes over other's bodies. don't recall, if they have to be living and kills them to become full, or if he can just animated a corpse, maybe both.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Judge Death comes from a world where the judges decided that all crimes are committed by the living, so they killed everyone, no more crime! Sort of like a rogue AI that decides humans are the cause of all misery.

As far as what he is, as Goatface said he's a spirit that possesses a host, and one of the main storylines in the comics is that Anderson traps him in her mind and they encase her in some clear shit (like Carbonite but not) so that he can't escape her. Of course later he gets out and they need to break Anderson out to deal with him again. Great stuff, but obviously a bit outside the scope of the gritty realism they were going for. I'd still pay to see it multiple times though.

• 2Like