Dresden Files

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The only thing that sucks about the Dresden Files is we have to wait another year or so for the next book.

Cold Days was great I really can't wait to see everything get turned up in the next book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The only thing that sucks about the Dresden Files is we have to wait another year or so for the next book.

Cold Days was great I really can't wait to see everything get turned up in the next book.
Agreed, but at leat we don't have to wait 5 years per book. *cough* George fucking R R Martin *cough*

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Just finished Cold Days the other day. Powered through it really fast, Butcher's "Dresdenverse" really is pretty awesome. I hope the next one is about something we haven't really encountered yet. Pretty much all of them have been about either vampires, faeries or denarians. There's gotta be more out there than that.

Outsiders, practitioners of various types, and ghosts have been heavily featured as well. I actually like the way he deals with supernatural creatures in a concise but nuanced fashion. A lot of the subsets for vampires and sidhe in particular are really just an absorption of the different supernatural creatures in to a category that makes sense for his universe so that he can utilize them in a believable fashion while retaining the flavor of a wide ranging mythic creature base. I mean gruffs as summer faeries, succubi as vampires, etc.

He also has his own version of the cthulueusqe elder gods with the oblivion war, although he has admitted he can't shoe horn that in to the main series.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Just finished Cold Days the other day. Powered through it really fast, Butcher's "Dresdenverse" really is pretty awesome. I hope the next one is about something we haven't really encountered yet. Pretty much all of them have been about either vampires, faeries or denarians. There's gotta be more out there than that.
The next book is supposed to revolve around the knights and the swords.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah and really those were some of my favorite stories/characters. Sanya is great and I'm really dying to see Karrin truly take up the mantle of a knight at some point. Who will be the 3rd?? I used to think Charity Carpenter would, but that was more just wishful thinking.

Who else is there? Just a list of people I'm not totally writing off. I'm not 100% on the mythology or "rules".

One of the Alphas?
Waldo?
Thomas and Kincaid are off the table since one is a vampire and the other is half a demon, right?
The two wardens, Luccio or Carlos?
Johnny Marcone? I sort of like this idea, he's always had the weird dual nature thing going. He's basically a protector now and he's a dago so you know he's religious(plus the shroud thing).
What about Fix? He's got knightly training now, and if Butcher wants to find a way to get him out of his Summer Knight duties he can. God knows he's probably not going to want to hold on to the job now.

Those seem like the most likely suspects, but of the minor guys what about Hendricks?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is a lot of speculation that Murphy will take up Faith (the Katana).

There is less speculation but kinda sits with me rightly that Amoraccius (love) will get taken up in the big final battle by Thomas.

My biggest wild ass guess is that Murphy will die in the next book and become a Valkyre.

Of course with Butcher who knows where things will go. But I sure have fun reading the damn books.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Murphy already has taken up Faith. When it is the right time for her to wield it she wields it. That's all the other knights ever did.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah she used it in Changes, but refused the job offer. And Susan used Love. For a very short amount of time.

It will be fun to see what happens though. He has not let me down yet.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Her refusal of the job offer doesn't mean thing. Murphy is a champion of good and wielder of Faith when necessary. She is the custodian of both it and Love. The wielder of the third sword is an agnostic. Murphy can tell herself whatever she wants. If it is needed for her to wield Faith she will wield Faith. If it is time for the sword to move on it will move on.

satael

Silver Squire
My biggest fear is that at the end of Dresden files Harry will somehow travel back in time and turn into Merlin
mad.png

mad.png

mad.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A friend of mine made the guess that the Gatekeeper could be future Harry. I hope nothing like either of those ideas comes to pass.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
My biggest fear is that at the end of Dresden files Harry will somehow travel back in time and turn into Merlin
mad.png
God I don't hope so. On top of it making no sense on so many levels, it would just be cheesy as hell. The way he keeps tying Merlin into the stories and linking him to modern day characters has to be one of my least favorite aspects of the books, why can't he just leave him in the past? Time travel in general needs to be left alone, unless it's a book written specifically to explore time travel and it's ramifications, time travel tends to make a jumbled mess of the plot (and even then, sometimes).

mad.png

mad.png

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My favorite part of the book, was he told Demonreach to fuck Mab up, if she kills him.
Demonreach on the island is so far the most powerful character on the universe. Mab made it pretty clear that he could fuck up the ladies at will, and he didn't do it because of Mab saving Harry's life.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Her refusal of the job offer doesn't mean thing. Murphy is a champion of good and wielder of Faith when necessary. She is the custodian of both it and Love. The wielder of the third sword is an agnostic. Murphy can tell herself whatever she wants. If it is needed for her to wield Faith she will wield Faith. If it is time for the sword to move on it will move on.
The swords are a little of Deus ex machina. They go when the are needed and they show up when they are needed.

Sugarhigh_sl

shitlord
Anyone else read Jim Butchers "Furies of Calderon" series? decent bit of fantasy reading imho

(i still like the Dresden files more though)

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought the Furies series started out boring as shit, but it got pretty as it went. Would like to see him continue it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user