driving LA to New York

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
i finish training in san diego in 4 weeks and have a week off after. my flight is out of washington a week later so meanwhile i want to drive across country and check stuff out. i am going via vegas / denver and planning on taking the 80 for the most part.

what is worth seeing? i want to see how close i can go to the cheyenne nuclear bunker because that would be awesome to see. i wouldn't mind driving through some corn fields. i'm not so interested in the towns i stop in (unless they are quaint) but mostly just like to cruise and stop at nice lookouts. if anyone has done the trip and has advice on stops / sights it would be appreicated. america is an awesome country by the way. the freeway system makes me feel free as fuck.

cheers

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If you just want to cruise for sights and the fun, stay on this side of the country. I would much rather drive up the 1/101 to Seattle, cut east to I-15 and then loop back south to LA than drive all the way to NYC.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
If you just want to cruise for sights and the fun, stay on this side of the country. I would much rather drive up the 1/101 to Seattle, cut east to I-15 and then loop back south to LA than drive all the way to NYC.
I could seriously drive up the 1 then right back down it and not be bored, such an amazing drive.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, 1/101 is great with awesome parts and stretches of holy shit.

By stretches I mean hours and hours. Especially once you get north of Santa Rosa.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Just about everything East of the Rocky Mountains is a snooze fest.
This is definitely true. The plains are what make cross country drives suck. I drove I-70 from KC to Denver the other day... 8 hours of absolutely nothing. I-80 at least follows a river and has some civilization along it.

One thing to consider when driving in the eastern US, you can get absolutely raped with tolls in some states. So I'd definitely go out to my way to avoid those.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
ok thanks for the advice gentlemen. i'll do some more research. cheers.