Driving simulator games general

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I guess I’ll reword it.

These games seem super boring as a concept, and I don’t get the appeal. To each their own though.

They're the same games as any others, just with different skins. Lawn Mower Simulator is just a puzzle game with some light RPG elements. Pick your equipment, plan your strat, beat a level.

Maybe it bores you because it better reveals the futile nature between our reality and how we interact (or avoid interacting) with it? Maybe they're too realistic so pull the veil back too far on the futility of existence?

I dunno, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the games, though.

Reminds me of discussing fiction. People will hate even the best or most entertaining "realistic" fiction but devoured sci-fi or fantasy, and justify it saying they want escapism and don't like reading about real problems.

It's nonsensical. They're all the same stories with the same problems, just different packages. Astute readers recognize this, and simply enjoy the repackaging of the same stories and lessons and depictions of the human experience. Not getting more bored, but almost more interested in the new way a writer can tell the same stories.

Then there are of course the dunces who just say "I don't like stories about magic" who are either not capable of seeing past the thin veneer that is reality.

The worst, though, are the people who can't just not like something. Nay, they will present themselves as a bit of amateur academic on the subject, ready to share their great theories on how some genres of books are simply inferior or objectively less interesting and indeed less valuable.

Because they must not like something for a reason, and are so much smarter than everyone else it must be an objective reason of some universal importance. It's not even really that they don't like something, it's that something is wrong with the thing.... this something wrong with the very people who like that thing!

These worst people strangely also start by saying things like "I don't like stories about magic," but then try to rationalize it as something profound, and the inconsequential nature of their own existence as something meaningful and valuable.

Someone not liking a genre of games is the most ordinary and understandable thing ever. Rationalizing your dislike in statements to a group of those who do, rather than moving on or asking questions? Nah, it's not a problem with a genre of games.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They're the same games as any others, just with different skins. Lawn Mower Simulator is just a puzzle game with some light RPG elements. Pick your equipment, plan your strat, beat a level.

Maybe it bores you because it better reveals the futile nature between our reality and how we interact (or avoid interacting) with it? Maybe they're too realistic so pull the veil back too far on the futility of existence?

I dunno, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the games, though.

Reminds me of discussing fiction. People will hate even the best or most entertaining "realistic" fiction but devoured sci-fi or fantasy, and justify it saying they want escapism and don't like reading about real problems.

It's nonsensical. They're all the same stories with the same problems, just different packages. Astute readers recognize this, and simply enjoy the repackaging of the same stories and lessons and depictions of the human experience. Not getting more bored, but almost more interested in the new way a writer can tell the same stories.

Then there are of course the dunces who just say "I don't like stories about magic" who are either not capable of seeing past the thin veneer that is reality.

The worst, though, are the people who can't just not like something. Nay, they will present themselves as a bit of amateur academic on the subject, ready to share their great theories on how some genres of books are simply inferior or objectively less interesting and indeed less valuable.

Because they must not like something for a reason, and are so much smarter than everyone else it must be an objective reason of some universal importance. It's not even really that they don't like something, it's that something is wrong with the thing.... this something wrong with the very people who like that thing!

These worst people strangely also start by saying things like "I don't like stories about magic," but then try to rationalize it as something profound, and the inconsequential nature of their own existence as something meaningful and valuable.

Someone not liking a genre of games is the most ordinary and understandable thing ever. Rationalizing your dislike in statements to a group of those who do, rather than moving on or asking questions? Nah, it's not a problem with a genre of games.
We arent trying to read your philosophical dissertation on the meaning of life. Although it could be phrased in the form of a question like we're on an episode of Jeopardy, their statements still get the point across that they are curious about the genre. They literally say they dont get the appeal of the game, and theyre in this thread stating so. Maybe someone could point out why they have fun playing these games and what game has been the best that they've played so far. Its the same reason I came into this thread. ffs

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
We arent trying to read your philosophical dissertation on the meaning of life. Although it could be phrased in the form of a question like we're on an episode of Jeopardy, their statements still get the point across that they are curious about the genre. They literally say they dont get the appeal of the game, and theyre in this thread stating so. Maybe someone could point out why they have fun playing these games and what game has been the best that they've played so far. Its the same reason I came into this thread. ffs

Instead of just ignoring a post, you reply that your ignoring it is justified because "we" aren't interested. First, why can't you just have your own opinion without seeking the validation of a presumed collective moral support? Secondly, if something doesn't interest you, then simply move on. Ignore my post. Ignore a thread about a genre of games you don't like. Etc.

Asking questions about a genre one doesn't understand is now like Jeopardy? Something to mock! Nah. Better to go into a thread, shout your opinion, rationalize it stupidly, and then trust some moron will suggest inquiring about the reason people like a genre, or simply reading the thread where people have discussed why be they like it, is absurdity to be mocked.

People have been doing what you suggest people do to defend universally obnoxious behavior of someone not doing the thing you suggest we do.

We all know the type of people. Conversation about how to make chili. Some moron walks up and blurts out "I don't like spicy food!" as if they just contributed. Just fuck off if all you're doing is telling other people why you don't like what they like, or why they're wrong or dumb for it.

Or, quietly listen or ask questions like a normal person that can at least pretend they aren't a spazz.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't get it either but apparently there's something Zen about hopping on your computer and simulating mowing your lawn....

Simulating mowing your lawn? I'm not simulating mowing my own yard. I have a big yard that wraps around my house with three large trees and a mix of protected and unprotected landscaping, and a sidewalk dividing sections of my backyard. It's a challenge to mow and was fun/interesting finding the best ways to do it, but it doesn't change and simulating mowing my yard over and over would be boring.

I'm not interested in mowing other people's yards or pursuing it as a career. But I do find it "zen" figuring out the most efficient pattern to mow. Same as many puzzle games.

Anyhow, off to the fighting thread to declare my dislike for the genre and question why those fat nerds don't just go learn karate. Or become paid mma fighters.

• 1Like

Daidraco

I'm just trying to wrap my head around why you are so defensive about fucking simulator games. But sure, spew out walls of text.

• 1Faggotry

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly a simple response with "they're kinda like puzzle games" would have been sufficient.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Want a really fun puzzle game that is a job?

Wilmot's Warehouse is fucking addictive.

Literally its about organizing a warehouse and meeting the orders in a time period . - I find it super relaxing,
Check it out on gamepass.

** Please do not suggest i work at a warehouse to scratch this itch.

• 3Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Honestly a simple response with "they're kinda like puzzle games" would have been sufficient.

You never asked a question that could be answered in such a way. After your dismissive statement that you didn't see the appeal of these games, your questions were whether they were marketed towards stoners and why people don't go get the actual jobs instead.

Even after being called on being a moron, asking dumb, dismissive questions, you didn't backtrack with any level of genuine inquiry. You just doubled down on stating you opinion for all to hear, as if you matter.

I'm assuming you're female or homosexual where just announcing your presence in the form of self-centered opinions works in doing whatever you were hoping to accomplish. You certainly attracted a white knight this time, too, so I guess we'll played there.

I just don't get the appeal of it, tbh. Is just stating a dismissive, contrary opinion in a thread without any question or attempt at discussion some thing self-centered idiots do? Can't you start a blog and try to monetize your desire to share useless opinions or something?

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm just trying to wrap my head around why you are so defensive about fucking simulator games. But sure, spew out walls of text.

It's more that I'm sensitive and annoyed by dumb cunts and their simps.

The "you type too much" attack. I'm truly slain. Save some of the maidens for the rest of the nerds!

• 1Galaxy Brain

Daidraco

It's more that I'm sensitive and annoyed by dumb cunts and their simps.

The "you type too much" attack. I'm truly slain. Save some of the maidens for the rest of the nerds!
Please review what you've posted in response to people that were genuinely curious about the genre. You've went full retard bro. Just stop.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Please review what you've posted in response to people that were genuinely curious about the genre. You've went full retard bro. Just stop.

Genuinely curious about the genre? Yeah, I get it. In your pathetic world some bitch on a internet forum posts bitch shit and it's everyone's job to assume there may be some hidden, secret questions actually being asked and then take them very seriously.

Omg, these games are like du-umb. What are they, like marketed to stoners? If you like driving a truck in real life like aren't those jobs super easy to get, so like just go get a job, omg!

Yes, great genuine curiosity and questions. Let me bend over backwards to answer a question you could have asked, and then bend over forward to felate myself!

This thread isn't for simp simulators. Go jerk off into your fedora elsewhere, loser.

Damn Star Wars fags, I swear.

Edit: relate myself? C'mon phone obviously meant felate myself!

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
This thread isn't for simp simulators. Go jerk off into your fedora elsewhere, loser.
LMAO. Wreckt.

ghdf.png

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Solidarity

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
God damn!

I was going to post how I enjoy ETS2. With a short run down of its merits

Instead I'm gonna Abe Simpson outta here.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
God damn!

I was going to post how I enjoy ETS2. With a short run down of its merits

Instead I'm gonna Abe Simpson outta here.
Please do, I didn’t mean to ruin the thread lol

I WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT IT

TBH this video answered all my questions for anyone else that comes along and was wondering

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That video was pretty good, yeah that sums it up. Some personal additional points to answer your question:

I like the subtle challenges of maintaining control of a heavy vehicle, Things like keeping close to the maximum speed limit when the thing is going down a long incline ( downshifts, light braking only when needed ) or up a climb. ( I feel like James May sometimes )

Also truck control, things like getting a truck around a inner city intersection corner or parking it using the cab section to steer the trailer. Pulling out of a business' front gate towing a B-double ( B-Train ) you need to drive all the way to the kerb on the opposite side before starting to turn, mounting the kerb to have a chance to get the rear trailer's rear out without hitting the gate pillars. Yeah you check it's completely clear both ways before trying that one.

And I just like that you also get that travel feeling, out on the open highways, you can just admire the scenery. Actually I only a few months back finished a BIG upgrade to my sim racing / driving rig. So 3 large curved screens, completely fills my vision, VERY immersive. One of the first drives, I drove over a high bridge over a fjord in west Norway, Woww!!

FYI funny side note: My driving rig uses a Ferrari GT3 licensed wheel, so it has flappy paddle gear shifts and a bold Ferrari badge in the center while I drive a semi down the road.

• 3Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
When I first heard about ETS2 my first reaction was "WTF?!?" I just didn't get what people saw in them. Then a Twitch streamer I followed started playing it and I saw how chill it was so I bought it on sale. Now I love playing it. For me, I think it has to do with the fact that I get to play a game that is not too mentally taxing. I love RPGs and strategy games, but after a hard day at work, family and shit, if I have an hour or two to play in the evening I'm just too tired to think about builds, where quest givers are located, planning strategies and shit. I leave that for the weekends when I have more energy. Driving games let me load up an audiobook/podcast, even a YT video or stream if I don't have to watch it too much (I tend to crash in ETS2 if I look from that monitor too long), pick a route and just let the day wind down before bed.

• 3Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
When I first heard about ETS2 my first reaction was "WTF?!?" I just didn't get what people saw in them. Then a Twitch streamer I followed started playing it and I saw how chill it was so I bought it on sale. Now I love playing it. For me, I think it has to do with the fact that I get to play a game that is not too mentally taxing. I love RPGs and strategy games, but after a hard day at work, family and shit, if I have an hour or two to play in the evening I'm just too tired to think about builds, where quest givers are located, planning strategies and shit. I leave that for the weekends when I have more energy. Driving games let me load up an audiobook/podcast, even a YT video or stream if I don't have to watch it too much (I tend to crash in ETS2 if I look from that monitor too long), pick a route and just let the day wind down before bed.
I always thought I couldn't imagine why people played them, but I watched ChocoTaco play a variety of sim games recently and it was very relaxing. I still don't know if I could, but I get it now and think it probably would be very relaxing to play as well.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think it also comes with age. I could never have played them 10+ years ago. Now I'm middle aged, tired, and shit. Chill games are now my thing.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Never heard of Snowrunner until I saw this thread so thanks for that - game is super good and mellow. Easy to fire up and just jump in and out of too.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It seamlessly switches between wheel and controller too. Handy because it's way easier to look around and aim the winch with the controller. Lot of games go screwy switching, but Snow Runner can easily use both.

Steering is weird on controller. Needs to snap/migrate back to center faster. Getting used to it, but wheel feels much better.