Dude, where is my hair?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Middle aged dude + Ponytail =
rrr_img_76151.gif

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
There are two products out there which aren't just scams when it comes to hairloss. Finasteride (propecia), which is an enzyme inhibitor, and rogaine/minoxidil. Finasteride seems to be the most effective, something like 95% of people who take it have improved baseline hair measurements after 5 years compared to those who don't (in other words, it actually causes hair regrowth after 5 years in most cases but the real effect is seen vs those who DON'T take it who have lost a very large amount of hair after 5 years versus actually regrowing some). Its a pill you take every day. Im from the UK so not sure how it works in the US, but here propecia is the branded name of finasteride and is 1 mg dosage and is super expensive. However, finasteride in 5mg doses is used to treat a medical condition called BPH, so with a sympathetic GP they can prescribe this in the generic 5mg form which is MUCH cheaper (free here) under the understanding you break the tablets into quarters and take it daily. Finasteride apparently works much better in the crown vs the hairline, though there have been reports of hairlines being improved (and it seems pretty decent at stopping frontal loss also). It apparently also works a lot better at keeping what you have rather than growing back what you don't.

Rogaine is also scientifically proven, I am not sure of the exact details since its fairly expensive here, you need to apply it twice daily to your hair but since I started with finasteride my hair has been fine pretty much so I didn't use it.

There is also a shampoo called nizoral, and a certain strength is claimed to have various good results. This one does not have any scientific basis, however it gets a LOT of good recommendations and I think it's fairly cheap so it's worth looking into (but finasteride is the main choice).

There's also a lot of scaremongering about the side effects of finasteride, and if you read about it in any public forum such as reddit/youtube/whatever, for every 10 positive cases there'll be some guy saying how it trainwrecked his endocrine system or whatever. I've had no side effects, and did a lot of research before I started it, but like any medication there may be side effects involved. Its worth pointing out that a much stronger dosage has been used for a very long time to treat BPH and it's only recently that such hype about side effects has occured. For me, I do not have a head that would suit being bald and the side effects seemed very low and I understand the science behind how it works (and not to trust random guys on internet forums, yes I do appreciate the irony
wink.png
) so for me it was worth starting.