Duel of Champions (Might @Magic F2p CCG)

http://duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx

Enjoy
biggrin.png

Edit: meant to post in Other Games Thread sorry mods

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game is actually pretty fucking fun for a free game.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bump, discovered this by accident in one of the steam tabs. Dicked through tutorial. So far at least faster/more fun than some of the magic games that have been out the last couple years if not very deep. No idea how bad of a freemium it is but as a noob seems somewhat lenient. (Kinda like how I like war thunder for not being a rape for cash vs things like World of tanks etc)

Other than waiting for things like hearthstone which I have no idea if I'd like (no beta 4 me) any other suggestions for PC based card games. (Esp with human opponents.)

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I can't help but feel sorry for CCGs like this that are going to be buried by Blizzard and some of the hyped Kickstarter ones. Talk about a glut of CCGs. What was the name of the card game by the guy who made Minecraft? Ouch.

Caliane

yeah.

Thanks for the bump. this is pretty neat. Way more complex then hearthstone. Bit more enjoyable in the regard.

could use more polish though. sound effects, animations, smoother card play ui.

Scrolls is the Mojang one.

Caliane

A bump with a, "I am enjoying this WAY more then hearthstone".

The attack/defend system is far more elegant. Allowing defenders the chance to defend.

Far far more special card interactions.
The hero system is far more robust. with special skills, and magic schools.

Much deeper card library makes building more varied decks easier. Although making a top tier deck, harder.

Overall UI, does need work. its manageable. and thats

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing this some recently. Compared to hearthstone, I agree it's a superior card game. The problem I have with it, is that while it is free to play, you earn cards through free methods much, much slower than hearthstone. Really hope they expand on ways to earn cards without cash, because the game could be a winner if that happens.

Caliane

I've been playing this some recently. Compared to hearthstone, I agree it's a superior card game. The problem I have with it, is that while it is free to play, you earn cards through free methods much, much slower than hearthstone. Really hope they expand on ways to earn cards without cash, because the game could be a winner if that happens.
yeah. probably true. I am not entirely sure if you actually get less cards per minute of play. But the card pool is so much larger that it is certainly MUCH harder to build a solid deck.
Also, hearthstone does just give you a free deck for each hero. this one does not. you get one free deck, and have to unpack the rest.

But that is almost my complaint with HS. 3 days of play and I have the same exact mage deck and hunter deck that is tournament ready. Playing the same deck over and over isn't that fun imho. and Arena goes the exact opposite direction and is just a mess imho.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I have to say, after playing this for the last 24 hours and hearthstone for weeks, it is straight up a better and more interesting game than Hearthstone in every way.

The games feel more strategic, way more thought into deck construction, more interesting deck ideas. Just flat out superior and the games can be fast-paced I would imagine (right now I have to constantly look at cards).

The only downside I see is you start out with less cards and there is no "arena" mode. However, it really has just killed all interest in hearthstone for me.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I agree, this is much better than Hearthstone or Soulforge.

Can someone give me a tip on what I should spend my gold / blue stuff ?

Also I started with a necromancer deck and I'm getting my ass kicked in the last campaign.

Caliane

I agree, this is much better than Hearthstone or Soulforge.

Can someone give me a tip on what I should spend my gold / blue stuff ?

Also I started with a necromancer deck and I'm getting my ass kicked in the last campaign.
Can't recommend anything for beating the campaign. Seems pretty random/hard. it sortof cheats by having really focused decks. I had a really hard time vs the Haven decks playing as inferno.
Only real option would be customize your deck asap. A few of the default cards are kindof terrible. But you don't REALLY get easy access to better ones.

Another thing is, there are promo codes everyone should use, for quite a few free cards.
Duel of Champions Codes Redeem for Free Cards

rrr_img_51858.png

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Having been playing this heavily for 2+ weeks now, I can give some thoughts on my experiences. I also started with necro, and had to replay some of the campaign missions multiple times before winning. The necro starter deck is probably the weakest of the three due to very poor spell selection and weak creatures. That said, after the addition of some of the great necro commons, necro is probably the best against other starter decks. Necro does struggle again at the very high end since the top decks are either extreme rush, or extreme control, neither of which does necro do well.

As for what to buy, first of all absolutely do not waste your wildcards on anything other than crafting epics (orange cards). Crafting a specific hero with wildcards is ok, but make very sure it's the hero you want since they are expensive. The game is a bit of a trap in that when you start, you get flooded with a ton of gold/seals through one time achievements, beating the campaign, and fast leveling at the low end, which may lead to spending them without much planning. Thing is though, after that early rush of rewards, it slows down dramatically and wildcards / purchases come much less often (unless you spend cash).

As a necromancer, your first wildcard purchase should probably beAtropos, unless you happened to get him from a pack. He's a staple in just about every necro deck. To get the best value for seals, you want to buy the champion box first, but it costs 3000, and earning 3000 seals with only the starter cards would be extremely hard, so that's only really viable if you spent some cash. Just "The Box" is a common first seal purchase to get a base of cards to start with.

For gold, as a necro, you probably want to buy packs from Herald of the Void. One of the best necro creatures isDecay Spitter, andSoul Consuming Lichis a great frontline blocker that is hard to kill.Adar-Malikis one of the strongest necro heros as well. All of these cards come from Herald of the Void packs.

Edit: Another option as necro is to save up 125,000 gold for the pre-built Arrianna deck. She's a rare necro hero, and her deck comes with a few great cards like puppet master and soulreaver, along with just about all of the base set standard creatures you need like vampire knights and neophyte liches. If you didn't spend any gold, you could afford her deck by around level 7-8ish.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Better Red than Dead...
I started playing this about a week and a half ago. I too started as Necro. But I jumped ship pretty quick. They were heavily discounting the Inferno Starter deck when I started (was only like 32,000 gold) So I bought that. I should have doubled up and just bought two Inferno Decks at that price as you can make a halfway decent Garrant Rush Deck using those cards. That is what I am playing right now. I spend my first 1200 seals on a herald of the void box And most of my gold has been split between Herald of The void and Reinforcement packs. There are still a lot of good cards in the Vanilla set.

Don't be like me...
I burned my wild cards on shoring up a few of the cards I really needed to get my Rush deck going. That was a bit of a mistake. There is a limit of 4 copies of any one card per deck. So any more than that is a waste unless you REALLY want to have multiple decks saved and ready to go. There are some good cards that aren't legendary (Orange, whatever) however, that lots of decks take advantage of. Pao Death Seekers come to mind.

ELO LOL...
Don't be in a rush to push your ELO above 1000. I think you can get locked in at that point and it becomes a lot harder to duel lower rated players. This can lower your win rate, and bonuses considerably. I crashed my own ELO down a few hundred points when I started to get close just to prolong my stay in the noobie leagues.

Cheevos...
Check out the achievements under your personal page. It's worth it to be aware of what they are and what the rewards are. Most of them will unlock through normal play. But some take special consideration. Like winning a duel with a 209 card deck. Probably a good idea to try for that one before going over 1000 ELO.

Deck building...
Keep your Deck to 59 cards. 1 hero, 8 events, and 50 Creature Spell and Fortune cards. The most efficient decks stay at the minimum number of cards with multiple copies of a handful of cards. This increases the chances that you will get the card you need when you need it. The only weakness you have with this is against decks that try to make you "deck out", but I haven't really seen anyone playing a deck like that.

Campaign in my ass...
For the campaign. When I got to the second battle in the Wolf Soldiers campaign I had a lot of trouble with that fight. Ultimately I just forced him to deck out. I packed my deck with cheap creatures and just kept filling the ranks until he ran out of cards. Other than that I don't remember having too much difficulty in the Orc Campaign, and came back and finished the rest of the Wolf Soldiers one after I made the switch to Inferno.

In Duels...
Stay focused on doing damage to the other Champion, don't get side tracked into killing every creature they put out. It's great in the beginning to nix any early creatures they play to give yourself more momentum. Then if you have managed to get a healthy HP lead over them, you can just bully them down and leave yourself open while they try hard to block you. A lot of the upper tier decks take a while to get going. If you haven't managed to kill them before then, you probably wont. I have gotten shut down a few times when the enemy champion was at less than 5 hp. So frustrating.

My upper tier deck is now just an Upper Decker...
There is a new expansion coming out in the relatively near future? So everything in terms of meta games and deck building is going to go out the window for a while when that happens.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I can't use the same cards in different decks ? What the fuck ?!

Got 1400 seals, thinking of saving up to 1900 for the forgotten box discount (from 2400). Already got Adar-Malik, 2 x decay spitters and 1 soul consuming lich.

nescio_sl

shitlord
I can't use the same cards in different decks ? What the fuck ?!

Got 1400 seals, thinking of saving up to 1900 for the forgotten box discount (from 2400). Already got Adar-Malik, 2 x decay spitters and 1 soul consuming lich.
The new set, which comes out really soon (tomorrow?), allows decks to share cards.

This game is really fun though. I play Adar-Malik too, i still need 4 soul consuming liches
frown.png
turrible luck.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The new set, which comes out really soon (tomorrow?), allows decks to share cards.
Nice, did not know this.

I really can't get enough of this game. Started out as Inferno and kept modifying it and adding cards as I went, got up to 1k rating very quickly. However, stalled pretty bad at this point. Whenever I would get above 1100ish or so, would get stomped down. Have been doing better as Haven, but was having some issues getting all the cards I needed. Also been messing around with a nothing but creatures Ishuma deck which is really fun.

I do wish it had an "arena" type mode like Hearthstone. My one issue with this game is that sometimes you want to step away from the tight competitive decks and mess around with a draft format. Right now it doesn't offer that.