Dune (2020)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Genderswapping Kynes is a null-issue. Nothing about that role needs to have any notion of gender.

I researched the SciFi Dune miniseries the other day and while the effects have not aged well, the overall presentation is still quite good.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
LMFAO Liet-Kynes is a black woman now? And also the mother of black-Chani?

Gee, I wonder if theyre gonna pay careful attention to the source material in making this film. What could go wrong?

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

Genderswapping Kynes is a null-issue. Nothing about that role needs to have any notion of gender.

I researched the SciFi Dune miniseries the other day and while the effects have not aged well, the overall presentation is still quite good.

SciFi Dune had legit A+ tits so it remains the best until that is changed...

Sad by the generswap more so because.. why? does it ADD or make better? no... it causes only issue...

YOU HAVE A YUGE DETAILED BOOK JUST USE IT

Like I said in one of my initial posts...

This is DUNE

It is not hard to remake DUNE and make mad $$$$ in present year.

Has it been X years since the last remake?

Okay, then now that it is present year, gather some awesome talent and great music and an A++ effects team and FOLLOW THE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FORM OF A BOOK in your path to victory.

But no....

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Must be some weird offshoot because I and every fanatical Blade Runner fan I met loved the fuck outta this movie. The debate isn’t directors vs uncut anymore. It’s which is better, Blade Runner or it’s sequel.

Dune remake will be god tier.
Agree with you except the last sentence. This is a ballsy make or break move for Villeneuve. You don't make a handful of flicks and then say, "I'm gonna tackle Moby Dick." No one has ever tackled a good Moby Dick. Dune is like an insurmountable Moby Dick.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I still don't know why someone didn't just take Jodowarski's Dune and animate it

• 1Worf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I just want to see Jodowarski's Dune storyboard published as a book. Maybe let some manga writers and artists at it.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am very excited for this, but mostly because of Denis Villeneuve and the cast, not the Dune story.

I have tried listening to the audio books, watched Dune (1984) and the whole universe is just too fucking weird. Maybe with this new entry, it will all click together for me.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Dune is a very rough intro. You get hit with a big, massive, huge sci fi universe right from the start... and it sits there long enough for you to start forming its function etc in your mind and you just start to place it and your characters in it...the VOOM!

You zoom into a very micro and planet based situation. All the characters are different in how they interact with this micro situation as they and you have only functioned in the ultra macro.

By the time you situate yourself with the micro happening there are then a lot of "mid level" stuff going on - with ZERO structure, you have ultra macro and micro, figure it out.

You get a lot of "it is how it is"'s for the connections between what is going on in this micro level and the macro... you do not ever "see" how the actions that are happening are extraordinary at the micro (you see) but also on this MASSIVE macro scale... that is until later... and by later it is how it is, because it is and had been back in book 1...

So it is hard to "fully" get Dune in just one pass...or two...or nine

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I didn't have much trouble keeping up until Paul joins the Freman and their lore and society stuff gets added to the mix as well as Paul's visions, the time jumps, and the introduction of some Harkonnen things. It's a lot of stuff all thrown at you after a pretty linear opening.

Siliconemelons

I didn't have much trouble keeping up until Paul joins the Freman and their lore and society stuff gets added to the mix as well as Paul's visions, the time jumps, and the introduction of some Harkonnen things. It's a lot of stuff all thrown at you after a pretty linear opening.

exactly - by the time you start to get into the micro stuff after landing on the planet your entire family (and auxiliary) are killed and you and your mom and wondering the desert and thrown into the middle of crazy town.

Yes the beginning is linear, but it still zooms in fast and then hits you with a whirlwind of stuff fairly fast.

Yes it almost is no different than start wars episode 4's intro - yet all we need to learn from the establishing "big shot" is "EMPIRE BIG AND BAD, REBELS SMALL AND GOOD"

What we need to learn from our opening time in space for Dune? well... A WHOLE LOT MORE!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I never paid attention to directors until Villeneuve. He's made 3 of my favorite movies, and I still haven't seen Prisoners or Incendies.
I loved the old Dune movie as a kid, but never read the books and I really don't know a thing about the lore. After BR2049 though, I'm beyond pumped for this.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Enemy is a different kind of movie, if you don't like symbolism and Lynch type shit, you probably won't like it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I never paid attention to directors until Villeneuve. He's made 3 of my favorite movies, and I still haven't seen Prisoners or Incendies.
I loved the old Dune movie as a kid, but never read the books and I really don't know a thing about the lore. After BR2049 though, I'm beyond pumped for this.

Gotta follow the directors, man. Never the actors. Rarely the writers. Sometimes the producers.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still don't know why someone didn't just take Jodowarski's Dune and animate it

Because "Jodorowsky's Dune" is the absolute keyword for development hell, nowadays studios have risk assessment executives that would stay away from any "Dune + Jodorowsky" project they could. The first milestone Villeneuve achieved is actually being able to get a project of this scope into a AAA feature.

If you're being curious about how Jodorowsky's Dune would have been, I'd invite you to check the 2013 documentary. The production was stellar at the time (Mick Jagger, David Carradine, Orson Welles, Salvator Dali for actors, Pink Floyd for music, a 14 hours long script and Giger / O'Bannon for technical stuff. Though, the film hasn't even been greenlit for production it already was $10m in debt before filming). Jodorowsky went on a Europe travel trip to secure money he couldn't even afford at the first time.

The rest is history: production went into oblivion and some years after, Dino DeLaurentis bought the rights to produce the David Lynch movie, which was another development hell to the point the 1984 Dino DinoLaurentis Dune movie has now "Alan Smithee" as a director since Lynch was so upset about the production cut he denied the whole film. While both Jodorowsky and Lynch were distinct projects with different scopes, they both shared the same production nightmare. It's a lesson most production studios nowadays won't want to learn.

Szlia

[...]Dino DeLaurentis bought the rights to produce the David Lynch movie, which was another development hell to the point the 1984 Dino DinoLaurentis Dune movie has now "Alan Smithee" as a director since Lynch was so upset about the production cut he denied the whole film.
Going from memory here, but I think the theatrical cut of Lynch's Dune is with his name, but there is a shorter made for TV cut that is credited Alan Smithee?

EDIT: wikipedia says this, so it MUST be true!

The rough cut of Dune without post-production effects ran over four hours long but Lynch's intended cut of the film (as reflected in the seventh and final draft of the script) was almost three hours long. Universal and the film's financiers expected a standard, two-hour cut of the film. Dino De Laurentiis, his daughter Raffaella and Lynch excised numerous scenes, filmed new scenes that simplified or concentrated plot elements and added voice-over narrations, plus a new introduction by Virginia Madsen. Contrary to rumor, Lynch made no other version besides the theatrical cut. A television version was aired in 1988 in two parts totalling 186 minutes including a "What happened last night" recap and second credit roll. Lynch disavowed this version and had his name removed from the credits, Alan Smithee being credited instead. This version (without recap and second credit roll) has occasionally been released on DVD as Dune: Extended Edition. Several longer versions have been spliced together.[13] Although Universal has approached Lynch for a possible director's cut, Lynch has declined every offer and prefers not to discuss Dune in interviews.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Prisoners is incredible. Watch it.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never had trouble absorbing and appreciating Dune. Yea it's a very deep if not sprawling novel, the hardest part for me was grasping all of Herberts terms.

Once you understood the "lingo" everything else kind of fell into place.

Most anticipated film release for me.

• 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The series itself generally fades as the scope of the story expands. With the first book, its focus exclusively on Dune itself makes it a little more accessible to the masses. It gets freaky from there. I always run out of steam after a couple of books. I have tried several times. I have read Dune at least 5 times, and right now the next 4 books are gathering dust on my bookshelf, because at the exact time I shifted to a Kindle I finished my latest read of Dune. I may never read the entire series. I count it as a personal failure.

But, anyway, as a sci-fi universe, Dune is very intriguing and I welcome anything created therein.