Dune (2020)

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Man Joel Edgerton has his dick in everything of late. He co-wrote that too.

Also, as an aside, that kid needs to stop missing leg day. If he's supposed to be Muad'dib (is he?) he needs some meat.

I just started Book 2. I've been away from the series for a while, and away from Sci-Fi for longer, so I am enjoying it.

Still pumped for a more modern version of all this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1566997961689.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
He is gonna be one scrawny ass Muadib... but he is a good actor so I guess its better than some Shia LaBeouf level shit.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
... this actually looks really good. I bitched a lot abut Chani but apparently it wasnt part of a broad race swapping in this case. As a diehard Dune fan and stickler for casting... I am pleasantly surprised.

A couple people have mentioned Paul being scrawny. I dont get it; he wasnt some big fighter in the book. His thing is prescience, not muscles. I see nothing wrong with the unknown to me actor.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
What the fuck did I just read a few pages back ?

Liet cannot be a woman. The fremens are muslims. Before Paul, the fremens followed Liet. And muslims do not follow women. Therefore Liet cannot be a woman.

On a more serious note, the story of how Liet came to lead the fremens was amazing. The crazy scientist guy that is taken into that cave and, oblivious of the danger HE is in, presents that horde of savages the dream of a terraformed Dune and makes the one fremen that was supposed to kill him to choose taking his own life on the small chance that the dream could possibly be achieved...just amazing.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fuck. I forgot about that. You are absolutely 110% correct. Blackchani alone isn't proof of SJW casting fuckery, but gender swapping Liet Kynes plus raceswapping Chani... thats SJW casting fuckery.

This will go the way of the Gunslinger and A Wrinkle in Time.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
They weren't really muslims. They were called Zensunni, sunni muslims with buddhism mixed in. And this is supposedly 10 millennia in the future so I'd reckon even dune coons might have a reform or two in that amount of time.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Fuck. I forgot about that. You are absolutely 110% correct. Blackchani alone isn't proof of SJW casting fuckery, but gender swapping Liet Kynes plus raceswapping Chani... thats SJW casting fuckery.

This will go the way of the Gunslinger and A Wrinkle in Time.

I'm no dune expert, but how is Zendaya playing Chani raceswaping? Both of them have one white parent, one brown parent. Although I guess that wouldn't be true if they change Liet Kynes. But either way, Zendaya pretty much fits the description of Chani, she isn't exactly super dark skinned and one would assume she is gonna have the blue spice eyes.

Siliconemelons

They weren't really muslims. They were called Zensunni, sunni muslims with buddhism mixed in. And this is supposedly 10 millennia in the future so I'd reckon even dune coons might have a reform or two in that amount of time.

But then go on a galaxy wide jihad killing billions...

hurmm.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Ok, I concede the fact that the fremens were capable, so they were not entirely muslim.

However, this is how I want them portrayed in this movie, as religious fanatics, strongly resembling muslims, just because this movie cannot be the whole good versus evil same old story. If I remember correctly, in Book 2 of the Dune series, Paul has some regrets about the jihad being fought in his name. I just want the whole morality of it to be more complex.

Siliconemelons

"Yeall, I had a vision as your god that we should kill all X and Y because in the future they will rebel."

"Okay done, all in the galaxy are dead"

"QQ - why u do that in my name?"

"You...ummm...told us?"

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Okay they were clear
Ok, I concede the fact that the fremens were capable, so they were not entirely muslim.

However, this is how I want them portrayed in this movie, as religious fanatics, strongly resembling muslims, just because this movie cannot be the whole good versus evil same old story. If I remember correctly, in Book 2 of the Dune series, Paul has some regrets about the jihad being fought in his name. I just want the whole morality of it to be more complex.

I am currently over half way through book 2 and Paul has complete regret that the Jihad is being done in his name. The book spends a lot of time emphasizing Paul's incredible powers in direct opposition to his impotence with respect to the Jihad and the masses worship of him. It is mentioned several times that both would go on whether he was alive or not. Basically to this point this conflict is the entire book along side the mystery of the ghola and the four character conspiracy against him. Again, I am not done yet, but there you go.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm no dune expert, but how is Zendaya playing Chani raceswaping? Both of them have one white parent, one brown parent. Although I guess that wouldn't be true if they change Liet Kynes. But either way, Zendaya pretty much fits the description of Chani, she isn't exactly super dark skinned and one would assume she is gonna have the blue spice eyes.
There is no suggestion anywhere in the books that the Fremen are African or partially African in origin. The descriptions fall somewhere between dark-skinned European and Middle Eastern. Look at the choice for Stilgar. Pretty much perfect.

But I will say I'm encouraged by the Stilgar casting, because it means they arent going full on Fremen=Africans, it may just be Chani.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho and Zendaya as Chani are the only odd choices I see, everyone else looks fantastic. We'll see how it turns out.

nu_11

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho and Zendaya as Chani are the only odd choices I see, everyone else looks fantastic. We'll see how it turns out.

Yeah. Always thought Duncan Idaho was supposed to be a very attractive guy but not in a caveman sort of way. Sean Young was a good Chani, perfect if she was browner though. Zendaya? I have to wait and see...

But the actors for MuadDib and Chani in this new movie are gonna look like kids forever. I can’t imagine them being the grown up versions from the book.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's some more hints in Dune Messiah that Duncan is kind of a raging, loyal soldier/womanizer. There's a couple of points during the final interaction with Scytale that heavily hints at the "berserker" nature of Duncan when he is in the mood to kill. Khal Drogo definitely can pull that off, hah.

Dunno this Zendaya chick; friends say she's good in Euphoria but I'm also almost 40 and I'm not watching a teenager drama, so can't comment. Also haven't seen either of the newer Spiderman movies =/