Dune (2020)

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nowadays those extended, heavily produced, highly anticipated trailers are more about collecting data and gathering opinions than "teasing" fans. For them, Villeneuve + Dune is already enough. As a director, when your movie is already filmed and under editing wraps, it's important to show producers how high the hype is. It's about how both your director vision and the producers goal will meet.

That what failed with Lynch's Dune, director wanted absolute control, producers got the infamous final cut instead, results were the 1984 films as it is, with Lynch disowing the film and DeLaurentis doing his edit while going lengths explaining the lore.

As both a Herbert's Dune and a Villeneuve fan, I couldn't be more happy after watching the trailer, I just hope the movie won't be a box-office bomb so that we'll have more Dune stuff. And by Dune stuff, I mean maybe more first book quality than, as Feanor Feanor explained, Herbert later works which are not as interesting, unless you have a hardon about cheesy, convoluted, weird-but-not-that-weird soap opera.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I tried reading Dune when i was 13, right in the middle of my Robert E Howard/Dragonlance/David Eddings phase. It didn't go very well. I need to pick it up and try again.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I tried reading Dune when i was 13, right in the middle of my Robert E Howard/Dragonlance/David Eddings phase. It didn't go very well. I need to pick it up and try again.
z37Ds6.gif

Yeah, got to read Dune, dude.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive never been pulled into a world like I was when reading Dune. That shit takes all of your concentration and attention to grasp and you just end up enveloped. I too read it a while ago, I felt like the kid in the attic from The Never Ending Story.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The world building in Dune is what the world building in the Malazan series would be if it was well written and coherent.

• 4Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 2Garbage
Reactions: 9 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Malazan has superior world building. The bloated philosophical prose of later malazan books is akin to the later garbage dune books. Comparing 10 books to 1 brilliant book with a handful of crappy sequels is not the same.

• 3Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Malazan was at its peak when he wrote stupid stuff. It could have been Hellian world saga and I'd have been happy. When he tried to be smart is when it sucked the most.

I'd say Dune was the opposite. The smart stuff was what made it great.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I dont know anything about Dune and as a filthy casual this trailer isnt doing anything for me. Cinematography is nice though, but that's expected from Villeneuve films.

What's so special about Dune?
I dunno. It's a good book but highly overrated. The sequels were less good and got worse over time.

The less said about screen adaptations, the better.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Picard

nu_11

It's clearly obvious once you start the second book that Dune wasn't ever meant to have a sequel.
Funny because Dune was originally written in 3 parts. Parts 1 and 2 became the first book and part 3 became the second book. But okay dumbass

The whole point was to build up and tear down the hero monomyth which if you pay attention happens in Dune and Messiah

• 1Rustled
  • 1Seriously?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
It's clearly obvious once you start the second book that Dune wasn't ever meant to have a sequel.
What a bizarre claim. I dont see it as really worth addressing; anyone who read and understood the book understands.

The story of Paul is only important because it lets the reader understand why Leto had to do what he did.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
He absolutely meant to write the sequels. The series is about cult of personality among other things. Dune sets up the infallible hero archetype, Messiah knocks him down. The rest continue exploring various themes that are integral to the whole story.

Discussing quality doesn't mean the other books, arguably up to GEoD, aren't essential parts of Dune and shit.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
This is super interesting. Do you know where I could read more about it?

Frank Herbert:
I had this theory that superheroes were disastrous for humans, that even if you postulated an infallible hero, the things this hero set in motion fell eventually into the hands of fallible mortals. What better way to destroy a civilization, society or a race than to set people into the wild oscillations which follow their turning over their judgment and decision-making faculties to a superhero?

Parts of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were written before Dune was completed. They fleshed out more in the writing, but the essential story remained intact.

It's clearly obvious Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet can be dumb as shit.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Correct me if I'm wrong

Did Dune Messiah ever really explain how the jihad got out of Paul's grasp? I feel like by the end of dune it was like "Paul in charge! Jihad coming!" But the start of Messiah it's "awe fuck. Jihad. We've enslaved the universe".

I would've liked a better in between. It was just so sudden and without deep explanation to how.

I dunno. I just feel like if your space Muhammed is still alive he'd have better control over space jihad.

After he's dead... Not so much

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user