Dune (2020)

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Get ready for more questions like that if you read the rest. It doesn't get better.

TIME JUMPS

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still stand by you should read Dune then stop.

Whats interesting is how this movie influences future ones. They said this is just the first half of Dune, so their should be a second movie. After the end of the 2nd movie, do they tie everything up and finish up there? Or do they follow the books and start building for Messiah, making a 3rd, and potentially 4th movie.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Correct me if I'm wrong

Did Dune Messiah ever really explain how the jihad got out of Paul's grasp? I feel like by the end of dune it was like "Paul in charge! Jihad coming!" But the start of Messiah it's "awe fuck. Jihad. We've enslaved the universe".

I would've liked a better in between. It was just so sudden and without deep explanation to how.

I dunno. I just feel like if your space Muhammed is still alive he'd have better control over space jihad.

After he's dead... Not so much
I agree, it would have been interesting to flesh out those parts.

Ultimately it doesnt matter though since those books are just prologues to God Emperor, the core of the story. Prologues are always left incomplete, because they arent meant to be read as standalone books.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Here's where I tell you I burnt myself out reading everything up to a quarter of the way into God Emperor.

The first book everyone should read. Period.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Messiah could have used an extra 200 pages

I loved the first book. I've bought it probably 5 or 6 times.

Based on a recommendation on these boards, I bought Messiah and read it. But it had nothing of the things I found interesting in the first book. Perhaps that is a bit hyperbolic. It did have court intrigue and commandos. But I guess Herbert didn't lean into those things as much.

It's not as if it is even a poorly written book. I do think Herbert was a talented writer. Many of the things from Messiah stick out in my mind. Quite a few in fact, now that I think about it.

But since you guys have been talking about how it is supposed to be a part of the first book, it makes a lot more sense that it isn't supposed to be looked at as a stand-alone.

I just think it would have been a super lame ending, and it was a super boring book. Herbert may have executed his idea, but it needed more death commandos. Needed more court intrigue. Needed greater obstacles for Paul to overcome, and a few more side characters to make the journey more interesting. All things the first book had.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
if you wanna read something even crazier from Frank Herbert, check out the Pandora Sequence

1 - Destination Void
2 - Jesus Incident
3 - Lazarus Effect
4 - Ascension Factor

Its about humans who have been traveling on a space ship with an AI that has gone insane and thinks its God, and the fucked up things humans do to each other. Lots of rape, violence, torture, and metaphysical introspection.

It was written in the 1970s when computers were just a twinkle in humanitys eyes so its really fascinating to see how much Herbert thought about what non organic life could mean to humanity.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

nu_11

if you wanna read something even crazier from Frank Herbert, check out the Pandora Sequence

1 - Destination Void
2 - Jesus Incident
3 - Lazarus Effect
4 - Ascension Factor

Its about humans who have been traveling on a space ship with an AI that has gone insane and thinks its God, and the fucked up things humans do to each other. Lots of rape, violence, torture, and metaphysical introspection.

It was written in the 1970s when computers were just a twinkle in humanitys eyes so its really fascinating to see how much Herbert thought about what non organic life could mean to humanity.
I could only read Destination Void. I couldn’t get into the book that followed. It was way too weird. I think Herbert was on some serious psychedelics for the ones after Destination Void.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet hates Dune because his in-game high elf wife kicked him to the curb for a guy named Leto.

giphy.gif

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 8 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

1 - Destination Void
2 - Jesus Incident
3 - Lazarus Effect
4 - Ascension Factor

Embarrassed to say I didnt know about these, I've read Destination Void a few times but never realized it had bizarre psychedelic sequels. Thanks!

• 1Picard

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is a fairly massive tonal shift between Dune and Messiah/Children; it's clearly a different mindset. Herbert wrote the first book with some ideas in mind (islamic tropes, evil imperialists, etc) and then he wanted to expand. But he had created "Jesus" by accident; so he decided to follow up with all the messiah complex work. Read Dune, then read Messiah (with zero knowledge God Emperor exists) and tell me it's the same overall theme. Because it very much is not.

Does he transition the story somewhat well into God Emperor? Sure; you can see what is going on, where they take like 1-2 year gaps in the story. And then... 3500 years go by and the baseline society of the first three books is basically just thrown completely out the window. I can completely understand why people think the Golden Path arc (1-4) is the best; it's definitely better than whatever the shit the last two books were trying to do for certain. But Dune doesn't read like it is leading into Messiah at all; it ends triumphant where Messiah starts in a quagmire of political intrigue. Something which it is explicitly stated that Paul excels at to the highest degrees in the first book, but somehow it evades his grasp in the second, while his sister somehow excels and he fails going forward.

Dune may have been intended to be a series, but when Herbert wrote Dune, I am pretty sure he didn't expect it to go where it did. The first book is -very- different from the rest of the series he wrote.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
17 year old me always was sad that Herbert didn't go more in depth in describing one aspect of the Dune universe: The hot Amazon lesbo Fish Speakers.

• 1Worf

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
On a side note, and because I couldn't be arsed to create an entire new thread in the book section, how do the books Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson wrote hold up in general? I know they will not be as good as Frank's works, but are they worth a casual read to those who like the series, or are they just trash?

• 1Worf

nu_11

On a side note, and because I couldn't be arsed to create an entire new thread in the book section, how do the books Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson wrote hold up in general? I know they will not be as good as Frank's works, but are they worth a casual read to those who like the series, or are they just trash?
What books?

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob

they start out mediocre and get really...really... really bad. Like Star Wars level of "lets explain why Han Solo is named Han Solo" kinds of bad in trying to explain in excrutiatingly, awful detail the full backstory of throwaway lines in Herbert's books

i think there are like 17 (!!) fucking books, i read about 6-7 and tapped out

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
There is a fairly massive tonal shift between Dune and Messiah/Children; it's clearly a different mindset. Herbert wrote the first book with some ideas in mind (islamic tropes, evil imperialists, etc) and then he wanted to expand. But he had created "Jesus" by accident; so he decided to follow up with all the messiah complex work. Read Dune, then read Messiah (with zero knowledge God Emperor exists) and tell me it's the same overall theme. Because it very much is not.

Does he transition the story somewhat well into God Emperor? Sure; you can see what is going on, where they take like 1-2 year gaps in the story. And then... 3500 years go by and the baseline society of the first three books is basically just thrown completely out the window. I can completely understand why people think the Golden Path arc (1-4) is the best; it's definitely better than whatever the shit the last two books were trying to do for certain. But Dune doesn't read like it is leading into Messiah at all; it ends triumphant where Messiah starts in a quagmire of political intrigue. Something which it is explicitly stated that Paul excels at to the highest degrees in the first book, but somehow it evades his grasp in the second, while his sister somehow excels and he fails going forward.

Dune may have been intended to be a series, but when Herbert wrote Dune, I am pretty sure he didn't expect it to go where it did. The first book is -very- different from the rest of the series he wrote.
Yep.

• 1Garbage

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So bad they almost ruin Herbert's amazing world building. Brian tried to explain every detail, and all the explanations were fucking retarded. Resist the temptation to read them. I haven't regretted reading something so much since I kept reading past Kings warning to stop now in the dark tower conclusion. But at least King warned us!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity