Dune: Part Two (2023)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Her suit extracts the moisture from the fart
Can you even fathom the simp based economy that could be supported by her and an army of Thots pulling the angle of "I'm wearing this Stillsuit and it's collecting all my sweat, piss, farts, and everything else. You can buy a bottle of it on my website!"

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Currently at 97% "Fresh" & an 80 on Metacritic. Take that for what you will.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Film Threat had a great review and about the changes Dennis made to the books for the Pt 2. Apparently
the timeline is super condensed, Alia isn't born in this movie, and they are saving her for pt 3 Dune Messiah. I don't know how I feel about the changes, they are leaning heavily into the "Bad Paul" stuff that comes later; they compared it to a "Fall of Anakin without the Armor" as Paul leans into the Mahdi legend to get what he wants and the resulting Fremen crusade that kills billions. I knew that Frank Herbert had written Dune has somewhat a cautionary tale and followed up because many people didn't get the lesson he was trying to impart re: charismatic leaders because he didn't like JFK? As per a story related by Chris Gore.
They loved the movie overall book nit picks aside 8.5/9s out of 10.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Film Threat had a great review and about the changes Dennis made to the books for the Pt 2. Apparently
the timeline is super condensed, Alia isn't born in this movie, and they are saving her for pt 3 Dune Messiah. I don't know how I feel about the changes, they are leaning heavily into the "Bad Paul" stuff that comes later; they compared it to a "Fall of Anakin without the Armor" as Paul leans into the Mahdi legend to get what he wants and the resulting Fremen crusade that kills billions. I knew that Frank Herbert had written Dune has somewhat a cautionary tale and followed up because many people didn't get the lesson he was trying to impart re: charismatic leaders because he didn't like JFK? As per a story related by Chris Gore.
They loved the movie overall book nit picks aside 8.5/9s out of 10.
I've read the books a dozen times and never once walked away with the impression that Paul's Jihad was being presented as a bad thing or a cautionary tale.

Wasnt it a necessary part of the Golden Path? I don't recall Leto ever looking back and cursing Paul for going too far. He always criticized him for being unwilling to do what must be done, quite the opposite.

In this "Paul was a bad guy cause war is bad" interpretation, was Leto a bad guy too?

[no, I'm not gonna use spoilers for books from the 1970s, I assume this won't offend anyone]

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Took me years to actually finish the first book.

Part of the problem was it refers to things that aren't set up in the story. No new reader is going to have a concept of the Landsraad, Faufreluches, or Kanly.

I eventually did finish it but it didn't inspire me to read the next two novels at all.

• 1WTF

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I've read the books a dozen times and never once walked away with the impression that Paul's Jihad was being presented as a bad thing or a cautionary tale.

Wasnt it a necessary part of the Golden Path? I don't recall Leto ever looking back and cursing Paul for going too far. He always criticized him for being unwilling to do what must be done, quite the opposite.

In this "Paul was a bad guy cause war is bad" interpretation, was Leto a bad guy too?

[no, I'm not gonna use spoilers for books from the 1970s, I assume this won't offend anyone]
I never did either, and I still find it shocking the whole story about "Frank Herbert wrote Messiah because people didn't get the message about Paul". I never pick that up at all, and by the end I thought it was part of what was necessary for either Humanity's next for for the Golden Path, either to evolve/avoid the stagnation of the previous whatever/or fight whatever was coming, depending on when you got off the Herbert ride.

The line we always heard from Herbert was "Messiahs all come from the desert, so what if a whole planet was desert?" He never mention the dangers of charisma or JFK and Vietnam or any of this other stuff ever in what I read about Dune.

I always read Dune as a retelling of the coming of Mohammed-esque Chosen One™ figure who the Powers That Be™ thought they could control but once arrived exceeded their expectations and spun out of everyone's control, and in the end went out his own (and the author's) way. Dune Messiah always felt like an author's misgivings about how popular his character was and decided to kill him so he wouldn't have to write about him any more, like a rock star tiring of singing the same song.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I think Herbert's intended interpretation was that Paul was a cautionary tale as evidence by his big tonal shift in Messiah, and Paul's own preaching in Children of Dune. Dune itself, for the most part, does come off as a "hero's journey", though.

That being said, some of the jihad had to be necessary for Leto. If I remember correctly the idea is that Paul failed to realize the Golden Path, and Leto was the one ultimately successful, and Leto echoed this as well - but as said above it is under the conclusion Paul didn't go far enough.

So is Messiah just subverting expectations, for the sake of doing so, or despite Leto deeming his act a necessity, is Herbert not necessarily in agreement? Maybe Leto always saw a way out to truly get to the necessary conclusion, whereas Paul was never able to, so he ultimately is a cautionary tale?

Surely (hopefully), Dennis does the "Paul is bad" take with some necessary nuance at least. I'm a bit worried that he'll end with Messiah and the whole point that viewers will get is, "Wow, dictator bad, never trust authority." When in reality we know the book points to a totally different conclusion by the end of book 4.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Just got out from seeing the Fan Screener in IMAX.

Whatever you do, see this in IMAX. The sound and cinematography is outstanding. The theatre was shaking during the battles and score is just incredible.

Easily top 5 sci-fi all time for me. Maybe top 3.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
Just got out from seeing the Fan Screener in IMAX.

Whatever you do, see this in IMAX. The sound and cinematography is outstanding. The theatre was shaking during the battles and score is just incredible.

Easily top 5 sci-fi all time for me. Maybe top 3.

saw this tonight at the imax amc fan event as well, 100% packed theater was pretty crazy I haven't seen that in a long time.

I really enjoyed it but at the same time since i've read the books and watched the Lynch version and the TV mini series I knew exactly what to expect and it didn't really stray too much. Which is good I guess. I think Walken was maybe miscast, that area of the movie felt a bit weak. They lean hard into Feyd Rauth in part 2 which is interesting since the Lynch version didn't except for the memorable Sting codpiece fight.

they gave out dune 2 posters and film strips which I think they will continue to do in IMAX versions. Sound is pretty incredible. Runtime is something like 2h46m but it flew by.

Biggest surprise was laugh moments, there are a few moments that had the audience laughing hard. Did not expect that

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
saw this tonight at the imax amc fan event as well, 100% packed theater was pretty crazy I haven't seen that in a long time.

I really enjoyed it but at the same time since i've read the books and watched the Lynch version and the TV mini series I knew exactly what to expect and it didn't really stray too much. Which is good I guess. I think Walken was maybe miscast, that area of the movie felt a bit weak. They lean hard into Feyd Rauth in part 2 which is interesting since the Lynch version didn't except for the memorable Sting codpiece fight.

they gave out dune 2 posters and film strips which I think they will continue to do in IMAX versions. Sound is pretty incredible. Runtime is something like 2h46m but it flew by.

Biggest surprise was laugh moments, there are a few moments that had the audience laughing hard. Did not expect that
Did you think it was in the realm of "best sci-fi movies ever", or is that too much praise.

Going Friday. I know Zendaya's role will annoy me, but hoping it's good outside of that.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Did you think it was in the realm of "best sci-fi movies ever", or is that too much praise.

Going Friday. I know Zendaya's role will annoy me, but hoping it's good outside of that.

Zendayas role (imo) will not annoy you. They managed her character very well I thought. Shes not a girl boss. Not the central character and this movie is very much about Paul.

And after a day, and the prisoner of the moment has wore off, I do think it is in the realm of Best Sci Fi film ever created. This will be the benchmark for a long, long time. Its very high art.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
i don't think its in the realm of top 5 sci fi movie. Its pretty, pretty good. Top 20 for sure. Where it sits in there, who knows, will need some time passing to really judge. Without getting spoilery, I think there are a few flaws in the movie like time is way too compressed, the movie takes place over basically 7 months whereas the book and previous movies are 5-6 year time for the exact same story. It doesn't really make sense except it was done for one reason. A few factions are missing and its a bummer.

I'd rank Logan, Blade Runner 2049, Infinity War, and Mad Max Fury Road as almost flawless 10/10 movies made in the last 20 years. By that comparison Dune part 2 is a 9/10, but really you need to sit for a year or two to start making those kind of decisions. Its as good or better than part 1 so if you like that movie you'll like this.

There is a tinge of "power flows from women" in the movie that some may find off putting, I don't think its there a lot, its always been in the books, and the major players are guys but you could dig and see it if you really want. I did find Zendaya slightly annoying and unfortunately she's in the movie a lot. Lady Jessica feels like a completely different character now but it feels intentional.

honestly i find parts of the 1984 Lynch version more endearing and interesting, especially Thufir Hawat (mr. eyebrows), the Emperor, the Bene Geneserit, the Spacing Guild, and Feyd Rautha (sting codpiece and all). Dune part 2 spends a LOT of time with the Harkonnens and while it was neat I'm not sure it was good.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
The OG movie has Sting
The miniseries has “plots”

how’s this one better?

visuals for the most part, Denis V (director) is interesting did an interview recently where he said he really, really prefers making movies with no dialogue and it all sorta clicks with Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Dune, etc which are dialogue lite

the worm stuff in Dune part 2 is really, really good

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users