Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (STEAM!)

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I think I played a knock off version years ago... Or something similar. This style of game was one of my all-time favs growing up. Played the shit out of Golden Axe, TMNT and The X-Men versions. Will be picking this up soon.

As a side note, I actually beat X-Men and TMNT at an arcade place just outside of Denver when I was a kid. Place was call Boardwalk USA, and they let you play all day for 11 bucks (had a card swiping system). It was a few doors down from Casa Bonita. Loved going there. Place let me beat sooo many games thanks to not running out of quarters.

It's also the first place I played MK 1 when it came out. Man, I miss that place.

fucker_sl

shitlord
I'd bite the $15 bullet in an instant for full fledged multiplayer (I guess 2 players was the max?)
max players for both games was 4 people

In Tower of Doom you could play as a Warrior, Cleric, Dwarf and Elf following the old D&D rules. No AD&D extravaganza here

Shadow of Mystaria added the Mage and Rogue class and the ability to have 2 players playing the same class using a different looking character (cleric and mage had also a different spell list between the characters)

Even if Tower of Doom has been a incredibly innovative game for an arcade of this genre, with loot search and equipment to buy and use, it was much more simple and linear to play that Shadow over Mystara

SoM was an absolutely fantastic game, with dozen of different paths and choices to make, equipment to use and spells to collect. (if you played as mage/cleric/elf you actually had 4 rotating menus to select and use for all the stuff you had. It was not easy). How effectively you play also had impact on your abilities, since at the later stages, if you dont get enought experience, you won't have access to high level spells like meteor swarm, or the Ultimate Magic

Hell, i have player it for dozen of times and i'm sure i have not seen all of it

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So, I downloaded it and there is "Multiplayer -> Quick Match, Join Game," etc and then there's "Arcade Mode". Is Arcade Mode also multiplayer, starting from level 1? Or do you play solo?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Arcade mode is for solo or local multiplayer (which is epic fun btw, convince friends to bring over xbox controllers). Online if you want to start from chapter one then you'll want to create your own game and open it to the public so you can start from where ever you want.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know the local arcade never had the DnD games, but I definitely played them on an arcade box before I ever discovered mame.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Do they sell actual arcade-like controllers? I'm talking heavy duty platform type with a stick and large buttons I can slam and mash like a crazy person.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Was there much or any extra content added for these re-releases? Seems a high price tag for what is basically only a few hours of gameplay. I loved both of these games in their day, but still, it's maybe 3 hours for both games combined?

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Was there much or any extra content added for these re-releases? Seems a high price tag for what is basically only a few hours of gameplay. I loved both of these games in their day, but still, it's maybe 3 hours for both games combined?
Various paths, trying to beat your high score, and for co-op "house rules" to try a few different things like damage = coin lost instead of health. And unbreakable items and such.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
What year (-ish) are we talking about here? I played a shit load of arcades and never saw this.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was playing:

Golden Axe
Simpsons
X-Men
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

amd some warrior / wizard game that I sunk a lot of money into. I'm starting to think maybe there are old arcade emulators out there.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Friend was having his 12th birthday party and we went to this 3 story video arcade and go cart track. Everyone brought some cash and his parents bought like $100 in tokens. We messed around half the day on go carts and what amounted to a driving simulator, which ate up the majority of our tokenage. Eventually I lose track of the other three guys. Later, I come around a corner and see this freakin huge machine set up then end of a bank of machines. It was this game and all three friends were playing. They yell at me to get over there quick and jump in. I picked the human fighter, since he was the only one left.

We spent the rest of the time at the arcade on this game. It took a bit to figure out the best combos and when to use each characters specials, and we were constantly discussing how to advance each character or who should pick up the mana vials and health pots ect.

We mash our way through some mountains and a swamp with a black dragon. Eventually work our way into a mountain and out onto this bridge that spans a chasm. Then this giant of a red dragon swoops over the screen and just starts laying waste to us. We were getting low on quarters at this point and everyone kept "standing in the fire", until finally we were just out of money and dead. Except me.

The dragon was pretty low on health at this point. I had managed to get fairly good at dodging the breath attacks, but was still getting beat up pretty hard. So it comes right down to it, I have no tokens left and like a quarter life and it looks like I am going to get blasted for good when I used a consumable I think, was a potion bomb or throwing knife or something really weeny, but it does the trick and you can't even hear the dragon's death roar because my friends are jumping up and down and yelling so much. There was even some applause from a few onlookers.

So my friend's dad had been watching us and was standing next to a token machine. When he sees that the dragon is dead he's just like... "oh well now you gotta finish it." I am trying to stall for as long as possible at the next screen, was it a path choice or a vendor... can't remember. But I think every screen had a timer on it. So they are all rushing to get at least a single token to hop back in.

Anyways we plowed our way to the end and actually finished the damn thing. The last fight is in no way, shape, or form fair. Was a lich that kept floating around the screen spamming aoe magic attacks. It amounted to a zerg fest for us I think. Still it was an awesome time and easily one of the best arcade memories I have.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You must not remember it very well if you think the Lich was a harder fight than the Ancient Red Dragon.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
It doesn't seem like there are a lot of games running, but I started a new game of Tower of Doom and before I finished the first level I had 4 players in it.
If anyone wants to play and find some of the special stuff like wyrmslayer add me on PSN (chickennachos) and msg me
smile.png

fucker_sl

shitlord
you should also edit your post and remove that heretical mention of mana vials.....while talking about a D&D based game.....fucking diablo kiddies.....

but seriously, the lich is way easier than the red dragon, and probably the hardest fight of both games. in Shadow over Mystara you fight 2 of them, another red dragon and the final boss, but with all the new toys, abilities and spells you can actually kill both much faster. Hell, just spamming the "uber oil potions" can bring them down to half life

another damn hard fight is the 3rd "big ass sword" demon, and the white elf/dark elf fight....fucking ninjas

Pikifou

Molten Core Raider
I remember this one too, but can't find a working ROM of it for mame. I guess i'll wait for it to be cheaper on steam.