Dunkirk (2017)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are the little ships portrayed as all heroic fisherman coming to help instead of what actually happened which is almost all of them were navy personnel appropriating them for rescue operations?

Is there a mean evil RAF dude who says "bwuahhahaha no air support"?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
75% of the film is shot with IMAX cameras according to the wiki, and it really was amazing to watch on the monster screened one I have near me.

Fake IMAX I dunno

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Fuck, I bought tickets to this but not IMAX. Do I want to return and get imax?

Pretty much all reviewers mentioned that you should go IMAX for this movie if all possible to get the best experience.

Going to try and catch this tonight on IMAX.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Nolan's best film, and its on par with Saving Private Ryan. Don;t be worried its not rated R, it did not need to be, its not about the horrors of war its about the tension and terror of soldiers being stranded, surrounded and the underlying doom they must have felt being trapped in Dunkirk.

IMAX is highly recommended for this I saw it on one of the 70mm showings and its gorgeous. This will win A LOT of awards come that time, he made a movie with 2 total pages of dialogue (there might have been more maybe), and it kept you glued to your seat is a feat on its own.

Small edit. This is not a movie for speeches or heroic last stands or anything of the like. Its as fact based a war movie as I have ever seen. Some of the negative reviews have pointed to this as a bad thing, but I think the lack of emotion you would expect from a war film was a fresh take on it. Its not documentary level or anything however.

Not sure when I will get the clock ticking from Zimmers score out of my head.

Good little review gonna go see it monday.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Fucking last 15minutes of the movie and the fire lights go up and we get shoved out of the theatre. Goddamnit this movie is fantastic though. See this shit in IMAX.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This was really fucking good... But I couldn't understand like 50% of the dialog ue. Anyone else have issues? Maybe just my theater

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
This was really fucking good... But I couldn't understand like 50% of the dialog ue. Anyone else have issues? Maybe just my theater

Yeah, I had some trouble with it in parts as well. Missed a lot of what the pilots were saying between being muffled by their masks + heavy accent.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Nothing I hate more than this shit, whether it's on my TV or in the theater. So fucking annoying. I can understand on a home TV but in a theater? It's 2000 fucking 17 retards!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Nothing I hate more than this shit, whether it's on my TV or in the theater. So fucking annoying. I can understand on a home TV but in a theater? It's 2000 fucking 17 retards!
Yeah I'm not sure wtf the problem was. I was in IMAX too, though a digital one.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Did it seem like a problem with the audio or was it scenes where you want to hear the dialogue but the movie is focused on other shit so it's mixed into the BG in purpose?

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Just got back from this, saw it in a non-IMAX. Amazing movie, it is different from any other war movie iv seen. Basically the movie is 2 hours of nonstop "oh shit oh shit oh shit" suspense. I didnt have too much of an issue with hearing the dialogue. The pilots mostly talk about how much fuel they have or taking shots ect. It was so good i didnt even realize Harry Styles was in it till I saw his name in the credits.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just saw this in IMAX. I had no problems understanding what was being said, the voices came out very clear even with the accents. Weird some of you had that issue.

Very good movie, not at all cliched in its making.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a sensory overload, in a good way. Visuals and sounds are some of the best you'll ever see. Having said that, because of the manner in which the film is being told, the characters and to some extent the story itself can seem not fully realized or not developed in a way one may expect from a war epic. Sure he could've done so and pushed the run time to 3 hours like other movies like this, but this was the best way he could've told it in the manner he clearly wanted to. It's one of those movies that I'm like "yeah that's really good but I honestly don't know if I'll ever watch it again" - which is weird to say about something so well made.

7.5/10

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Remember the first TDKR trailer and how muffled Bane was? Seems Nolan's film's have a very low dialogue level and high sound f2f, I didn't have a problem but did notice the low levels

Didn't realize that the film was so short,,I was expecting another Interstellar or Inception

Oh and what was with the random Nolan time jumps? Seemed a bit unnecessary to me, why not just tell it as a linear story

Last edited:

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Did it seem like a problem with the audio or was it scenes where you want to hear the dialogue but the movie is focused on other shit so it's mixed into the BG in purpose?

I saw it in IMAX and I think its just the movie is more focused on the tension then it is the dialogue. Its a movie I think that could win best picture, best director, and best cinematography but I dont think any of the actors will get nominated for an oscar.

Jive Turkey

Karen
The dogfight scenes in Imax are incredible.

This was kind of a perfect movie. Nolan just let the sequences be and didn't force in a plot to structure the movie around. Everything felt real. And the score quite literally didn't take its foot off the tension until the final few scenes; there was an undercurrent of anxiety that played well with the situation. There was no exposition, no unnecessary dialogue. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's almost like a sketch of a film, but in a good way

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jive Turkey

Karen

I had trouble hearing some of the dialogue too, but it felt to me like it was on purpose. Especially in the planes, the pilot's voices were buried in the mix. But I think Nolan's intent was that the dialogue didn't matter in these scenes. It was meant more as texture than to convey any real information.