Dunkirk (2017)

Neki

Molten Core Raider
was there a love story?

It was between all the men stranded there and their love to get the fuck off the beach

This is a strange movie for me. I watched it on BFI 70mm IMAX in London and fucking amazing. It was an unique movie experience that I never felt before. It was totally immersive and had me held in a grip of tension throughout the whole movie. I watch tons of horror movies so I am used to all the bullshit jumpscares that Hollywood packs into their recent offerings and not even flinch anymore but this movie was on another level of anxiety for me. When the first gunfire shot rang out in 70mm IMAX, I nearly shit my pants. The slowly increasing whining sound of the German bombers diving in to start their bombing run on the soldiers had me on the verge of a panic attack. This was some next level shit in sound immersion.

I said this was a strange movie for me because this is the best movie I probably won't watch again. Being held in a constant knife edge of tension for 1hr 40mins was very stressful. Walking out at the end of the movie was a relief and even then took me some time afterwards to shake off the anxiety built up in my body.

If you guys are planning to watch this, I STRONGLY recommend to try and find the biggest screen with the bestest sound system to do it in. It's one of those films that you HAVE to watch in the theatre as even the best home entertainment setup you have won't do it justice.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
If you guys are planning to watch this, I STRONGLY recommend to try and find the biggest screen with the bestest sound system to do it in. It's one of those films that you HAVE to watch in the theatre as even the best home entertainment setup you have won't do it justice.

I second this. If you can watch it in a true IMAX theater do it there. Its worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The bomber and fighters going over head, it was like hearing a TIE Fighter for the first time.

Hatar

Trakanon Raider
I liked the movie...saw it on 70mm Imax in Indy. 12yo fell asleep halfway through though...yes, I may have a problem on my hands. Only issue is how did Bane kill the last German fighter on glide? Seriously? Was there a slice of movie missing?

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Remember the first TDKR trailer and how muffled Bane was? Seems Nolan's film's have a very low dialogue level and high sound f2f, I didn't have a problem but did notice the low levels

Didn't realize that the film was so short,,I was expecting another Interstellar or Inception

Oh and what was with the random Nolan time jumps? Seemed a bit unnecessary to me, why not just tell it as a linear story

I think he did that to create tension. Basically, you get an "oh shit" moment every 5 mins so it keeps you on edge. The POVs are unique enough that you don't get confused and can sort out the timeline (literally day/night for the first half of the movie), but it helps keep it tense. He's got a knack for fucking with timelines in his movies though to draw you in.

I felt it was a good movie. Nolan isn't really known for making turds though so I somewhat expected that and was not disappointed.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty good movie. I actually like that it was different slices of the event, and not really a character-driven narrative.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10/10. I am a WWII enthusiast and Nolan did the event, war and era justice... and then some.

It probably misses out on the big Oscar nods, because the lack of of a character-driven narrative (like Teekey said), but in a year of great movies this might be #1 for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Sound guy should get an Oscar for sure and the music also was top notch because it added to the suspense. It will get some Oscars for sure just not best picture or anything like that.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Saw this over the weekend at our fake IMAX and really liked it. The sound was outstanding and Zimmer did a great job with the soundtrack.

Movie was really, really good. Stuka aircraft had me on edge.

Yeah, they really did a great job with that.

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
The first Stuka Dive Bomber sequence was probably the most terrifying thing i've ever heard in a movie. God only knows how it sounded to the guys back in 1939-1945.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first Stuka Dive Bomber sequence was probably the most terrifying thing i've ever heard in a movie. God only knows how it sounded to the guys back in 1939-1945.

When they're on the bridge and the stuka is coming down and they all duck I couldn't help but think, "Why duck? It's not going to matter."

Then for the first time I realized that these guys were just reacting. Animal instinct fashion. They didn't know what else to do. They didn't have anywhere to go. I was put completely in their shoes for that little sequence.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This movie was awesome. Inception is still my favorite Nolan film(and really maybe my all time favorite), but this is a close second. The bombers coming in for attacks was so fucking loud in the theater, that I thought I might die.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
i saw dunkirk on IPT and thought whoah, thats super fast for a blu ray rip. Nope, its Asylum Entertainment who released a dvd the same day this movie came out lol

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Saw it a couple days ago, but thought it was only ok. Biggest issue for me was there was basically no buildup to the small boats- it was "scene on the docks and then off this one boat goes". There was rarely any sense of the scope of it.

Overall I think I much prefer the 1958 version. (Which you can watch here if you care to- Watch Dunkirk online on estream.to | TwoMovies ) Much better buildup to the whole thing I think. Only downside is it doesnt cover the aerial combat.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It was between all the men stranded there and their love to get the fuck off the beach

This is a strange movie for me. I watched it on BFI 70mm IMAX in London and fucking amazing. It was an unique movie experience that I never felt before. It was totally immersive and had me held in a grip of tension throughout the whole movie. I watch tons of horror movies so I am used to all the bullshit jumpscares that Hollywood packs into their recent offerings and not even flinch anymore but this movie was on another level of anxiety for me. When the first gunfire shot rang out in 70mm IMAX, I nearly shit my pants. The slowly increasing whining sound of the German bombers diving in to start their bombing run on the soldiers had me on the verge of a panic attack. This was some next level shit in sound immersion.

I said this was a strange movie for me because this is the best movie I probably won't watch again. Being held in a constant knife edge of tension for 1hr 40mins was very stressful. Walking out at the end of the movie was a relief and even then took me some time afterwards to shake off the anxiety built up in my body.

I agree with this 100%. Describes my exact experience. I've never been this tense for so long in a movie.

Saw it in Indy 70mm IMAX. This was the perfect movie for it, holy shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When they're on the bridge and the stuka is coming down and they all duck I couldn't help but think, "Why duck? It's not going to matter."

Then for the first time I realized that these guys were just reacting. Animal instinct fashion. They didn't know what else to do. They didn't have anywhere to go. I was put completely in their shoes for that little sequence.

My dad told me about some book he read where an American was captured by some Russians. They basically just gave him a rifle and vodka and were like "you're one of us now". He said they got strafed a few times by German planes and he dove into the ground on instinct while the russians just lifted rifles and shot at the plane the whole time. People got killed, plane left, and they'd just keep marching. They thought it was funny the american was diving into the ground and were giving him crap, laughing at him.

Different culture I guess.

spronk

FPS noob
Chris Nolan UHD collection coming out 12/19

Xrdlr2b.jpg

I'd rewatch all his movies in 4k at home. I didn't realize till now all his big blockbuster movies are PG-13 too.

• 1Solidarity