E3 2016

Column_sl

shitlord
I liked the ps1 better then the ps2.

Square pretty much at their peak, Best of the Fighting games from everyone, etc etc

Dreamcast> Saturn tho. Althought Saturn's Grandia was awesome, and they had an almost arcade perfect version of SF vs Xmen, SF vs Marvel.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I prefer PS2. Basically every genre was well represented on the console but by what I consider a large margin RPGs were at their peak.

Column_sl

shitlord
I prefer PS2. Basically every genre was well represented on the console but by what I consider a large margin RPGs were at their peak.
Not even close on Fighting games. Pretty much the worst ports of everything that was out.

And if you look at what people consider the best, or most memorable RPG's of all times that list pretty much all comes from the PS1, and Super Nintendo.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm sure I would have liked the PS2 but Everquest happened.
EverQuest_Online_Adventures_Coverart.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not even close on Fighting games. Pretty much the worst ports of everything that was out.

And if you look at what people consider the best, or most memorable RPG's of all times that list pretty much all comes from the PS1, and Super Nintendo.
I consider Soul Caliber 2 one of the best fighting games made. Also Dead or Alive 2 was great.

In terms of RPG I'm not completely limited to JRPG. I think the PS2 had the best collection of console ARPG as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
I consider Soul Caliber 2 one of the best fighting games made. Also Dead or Alive 2 was great.

In terms of RPG I'm not completely limited to JRPG. I think the PS2 had the best collection of console ARPG as well.
PS2 had the worst performance of all 3 consoles for SoCal 2. Xbox ran it the best by far, and at a higher frame rate.

Dead or Alive no one gives a shit about because that is a terrible game, and has always been terrible.

Looking at the RPG list for the PS2 ,and it's about 95% Japanese Rpgs with some really bad translations on the american side like Baldurs gate, and champions of Norrath.
If anything PS3 had the better list of RPGS outside of japan with Mass Effect,Dragon Age etc.

KOTR was on the Xbox

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I got into the beta for that so I bought my friend the network adapter. That was about all I played of it though
frown.png
It was really ambitious for a console at the time, but god was it awful.

People loved that game for some reason tho. I never got the appeal since the real everquest was out.

Needless

Toe Sucker
It had some charm, i only got to like level 25 though before for the same reason. Why play a lesser version of EQ when EQ is still prime? having masteries was probably the coolest part of that game though.

If they actually revive it on a private server i'd dick around on it for sure lol

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PS2 had all the best SMT/Persona games, plus Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Valkyrie Profile 2, and FF XII IZJS. That automatically makes it the king of JRPGs, and that was the only reason I bought consoles at all back then.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think Nintendo's software would suffer if they had to go 3rd party. They still make the majority of their money with hardware, so they'd have to become a much smaller company - with less releases that would most likely be limited only to their core IPs (2D Mario platformer, 3D Mario platformer, 3D Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros) due to manpower and cost. You'd never get a Splatoon, or anything that isn't guaranteed to make a profit (kind of like the other AAA developers).

Right now, they design hardware to fit the software they want to make (versus the alternative, making software for hardware they had no say in). It also allows them to make 100% of the profits from their first party software, because Steam/MS/Sony all take a cut otherwise.

The downside is they can't make a console that is going to lose them money on a per sale basis. Because if it bombs, they don't have a conglomerate like Microsoft or Sony backing them up. Hell, even those companies aren't making loss-leading hardware anymore - Scorpio may be a $600 premium product.

It would be difficult for the NX to be worse specs than the XB1/PS4, just don't expect it to be near the Neo/Scorpio. Which is fine because those are going to be premium products and both companies have said they expect developers to continue supporting the original models. As long as NX is comparable specs with x86 architecture and can run Unity/Unreal/etc, there's no reason it shouldn't get 3rd party ports. I doubt they will go with another controller gimmick this time around but there will be something, most likely sharing a library with a new handheld formfactor or some other software gimmick.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there a source for them making more of their money on hardware? Because that makes no sense. They're the ONLY company of the 3 that typically make any money on hardware sales and considering the number of games per unit they sell I can't fathom how any profit margin on the hardware would add up to "the majority of their money"

turbo

Molten Core Raider
SNES & PS2 defined my RPG experience growing up. Most other consoles had a few stellar ones but SNES/PS2 had so many top quality games.

As far as fighting games go, i'm not a huge fan but Killer Instict was by far the best fighting game I have ever played by a pretty wide margin. May or may not have broke 3 remotes on a 24 hour bender trying to beat the last guy on the hardest mode.....when I finally did i literlly cried tears of joy and exhaustion. Orchid > YOU~~~~

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo seems to slowly be branching out into other industries. Toys, movies, mobile, and possibly eventually "health" stuff in the future. So they're trying to not have all of their eggs in one basket.

Also, SNES and PS1 were my favorite systems. SNES especially, since it was my first.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm still waiting Capcom / Sega
rrr_img_136006.jpg
Why would they do that when SEGA can keep wasting money on Sonic? and Capcom keep streaming out SFupdate#insert

joking aside i wish this would come back. I mean Dissidia is kinda similar but id love a new Power Stone.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Is there a source for them making more of their money on hardware? Because that makes no sense. They're the ONLY company of the 3 that typically make any money on hardware sales and considering the number of games per unit they sell I can't fathom how any profit margin on the hardware would add up to "the majority of their money"
They are still a toy/card company at heart and want to make something tangible that can be on the shelves and in peoples' hands (not just a game box, either).

Nintendo also likes giving stores something Nintendo to sell--Amiibo are as much about remaining on merchant radar as they are about anything else.