EA will now publish Star Wars Games.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Please tell me that's sarcasm.
Have you played flight games with a modern game pad? They play incredibly well with dual analog sticks. They're a lot more functional than a single flight stick in a lot of ways. Also Helicopters and similar vehicles are about a thousand times more enjoyable on a game pad.

There's nothing like the feel of using a good flight stick+rudder for flying a jet or other fighter type planes though, it's something special.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Have you played flight games with a modern game pad? They play incredibly well with dual analog sticks. They're a lot more functional than a single flight stick in a lot of ways. Also Helicopters and similar vehicles are about a thousand times more enjoyable on a game pad.

There's nothing like the feel of using a good flight stick+rudder for flying a jet or other fighter type planes though, it's something special.
It seems like you and Himeo both are missing something; all "flight games" are not the same.

Rogue squadron type arcadey games work absolutely fine on normal dual analog gamepads. That's what they are designed to be played on. They have simplistic pew pew-based gameplay and little need of any buttons besides the fire button(s).

X-Wing style flight sims are another beast entirely. They play like shit with dual analogs for a variety of reasons. Aside from the feel being totally different, you simply can't do a proper sim game justice with the amount of buttons on a gamepad. Even a button-laden flight stick is usually not enough.

The first of these two types of games work great for kids and casual gamers in general. EA will no doubt shovel out an epic shitton of re-skinned Rogue Squadrons. I'm sure they'll even sell. The thing is, those of us who have been waiting since the late 90s for a new Star Wars sim game simply are not going to get one as long as EA is the publisher. They don't publish niche PC games. We basically just have to hope that Chris Roberts doesn't fuck up Star Citizen and/or X4 ends up being bad ass.

Just for the record, yes I've tried Evochron Mercenary and X3 with dual analogs. The first thing I did afterwards was to order a flight stick from amazon.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm not terribly familiar with X-wing's controls anymore, but you couldn't make do with modern controllers with it?

2 joysticks, 4 face buttons, 4 d-pad buttons, Start/Select, 2 Shoulder buttons, 2 stick-click buttons, and 2 triggers is actually quite a bit. That's 16 inputs + 2 sticks.

Alexzander

I'm not terribly familiar with X-wing's controls anymore, but you couldn't make do with modern controllers with it?

2 joysticks, 4 face buttons, 4 d-pad buttons, Start/Select, 2 Shoulder buttons, 2 stick-click buttons, and 2 triggers is actually quite a bit. That's 16 inputs + 2 sticks.
In short, no. What you are proposing is not the flight sim that old X-Wing fans want. The first thing you get when you try to shoehorn a sim into an Xbox controller is a bad sim.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I disagree, because to me an analog stick is just a compact joystick. I also think that *needing* more than 16 inputs for anything is some really superfluous design.

Szlia

The difference is one of player's role. With a controller, you control the spaceship. With a flight-stick and rudder you become the pilot. It's a bit like using a wheel and pedals for a car game (only a bit because a wheel with a big range of motion offers also a greater control ability).

That said the notion of 'realism' for an X-Wing game is pretty amusing. Is there any hard science space flight game? Other than Kerbal Space Program that is
smile.png

smile.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Why exactly are there "publishers" in this day and age? Let alone for a company like Disney.
Not sure if serious, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Think of publishers as bankers that obsessively love to micromanage their debtors and only loan to game dev studios. That kind of relationship will never die. Since the dawn of civilization there have been creative people with no money and people with money who love what creative people have to offer and bankroll them (Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Galileo... you get the idea).

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gamestop had a sale last weekend for used "Star Wars" titles. For ps3 it included both Forced Unleashed titles, the lego games, and the clone wars based on the animated series. So maybe 5 or 6 games in 7 years? Fucking depressing, why even call it a SW sale? I haven't played the lego games, but the others combined is maybe 12 hours of gaming. Bleh.

At this point EA will push games, and even if the story is shit it'll give some sort of lore outlet on a reasonable time basis. I'd actually enjoy the chance to bitch about new crappy games, because it's much better than the option of not having a game to play.

I wouldn't mind the bf3 model used for DLC for a new battlefront either. They do need to wait for next gen consoles though.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Name dropping BioWare is funny, you guys must have not played any of their games since they were bought out by EA. BioWare is nothing more than a name that EA uses to fish people in. The BioWare we knew and loved is DEAD. EA has full control over everything, and you better believe they use that power to make the game exactly how they want it. In other words, they release half of it, which is terribly underdeveloped, and then they release the second half over a year as DLC packages that you?re going to have to buy.
Well said and correct sir

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In short, no. What you are proposing is not the flight sim that old X-Wing fans want. The first thing you get when you try to shoehorn a sim into an Xbox controller is a bad sim.
Uh, Tie-Fighter and X-Wing needed like, 4 buttons, not a bajillion. A simple stick or gamepad would work fine....

Remmy

I only played the Tie fighter demos. I seem to remember that even in the demos there were tons of keys for shunting power to lasers, or different areas of your shields. The control scheme i remember was fairly robust. In a modern Tie fighter vs. xwing i wouldnt be suprised to see 30+ keybinds that were useful.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Uh, Tie-Fighter and X-Wing needed like, 4 buttons, not a bajillion. A simple stick or gamepad would work fine....
You only needed a few buttons on the flight stick... but the game came with a keyboard overlay for all the shortcuts it had. Shift power between the laser types, the engines and shields. Hell you could change which part of your shield recharged faster. Then there were buttons for controlling the speed of the game, issuing commands to the squadron.. fuck I think you'd be hard pressed to push a letter/number/function key without it doing something in those games.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wa...ghter/Controls