Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Why rats specifically?
No idea but like 1 in 5 drop a rune arc. There is a talisman you can get that increases discovery, with a pickle I can get it up to like out of 4 out of 5 kills drop rune arcs.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So is Radagon the penultimate boss? Trying to figure out how long I should bang my head against his second phase. I just dont have the damage to kill him

Anyone else notice how like all of the major bosses in this game have names that start with R, M, or G?

It's like how James Cameron's movies all seem to start with either T or A

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Below what I did. It requires no skill. Can probably be done at level 1.

I did it in the cheesiest way I have ever done a boss fight.

First 3 or 4 tries, died very quick, got him to phase 2, but got oneshot.

Then I accidentally noticed that I could summon the companions there while riding a horse, I had been dismounting. As I was running around, I noticed that the companions respawn at various places across the zone.

I just ran around on the horse like a madman spamclicking as I ran over the golden summon signs. Eventually he died while I was halfway across the zone from him. Then they praised me as a fine warrior. I think I hit him once.

Currently 62 hours in. Level 92. Using a +9 golden halberd and a jelly shield. Have 40 end, so using the Redahn armor. Done 3 rune bosses so far. Not seen any of the ones they talk about in the intro. No idea how many "big" bosses there are. Still not looked at videos or maps where things are except the mimic, but it isn't that "good" as my build isn't really a build. Just a mix of 30ish stats on things to equip and try things out. It's only level 6 or maybe 7 as I haven't found any places with any flowers higher than that. Do like that it uses items though, but the heal item thing is odd. It also heals bosses, so I unequipped that. Now it just tosses gravity waves and some pew pew glint rocks at times. Suspect it is much better as a mage.

Not unlocked the top right part of map, and don't think I've seen much below. Only done a few quests.

I am really not good against mages though. There is a place where it is blocked and you need to fight 3 NPC summons that have summon signs. The NPCs are radomized each time you die and the mage ones wreck me. Need to fight all 3 in a row. Tried that like 10 times now.

That's what drove me nuts about the Radahn fight. Like it could have been an awesome battle, but after a while it was so frustrating that I just ran around spamclicking the NPC summons until the fight ended. Every time I'd try to get in there and mix it up with him, I'd get one-shotted as soon as I made a mistake. So eventually I just shrugged and did it the lame-ass way just to move on.

Oh god, now that I have to deal with "Secret Bosses" I have to resort to YouTube. Holy fuck I forgot how absolutely pants on head retarded these clickbait motherfuckers are. I actually found a decent guide on the millicent questline until you meet her at the altus plateau and the mouthbreather decided x100 fast forward speed would still show you how to get to th he next area. Goddamnit. I made it through the entire "game" without having to resort to this shit and no doubt missed plenty of stuff. But fuck me a guide you cant follow isnt a guide at all.

It really pisses me off that they got rid of the Dislike button to protect multinational corporations and to give media outlets the illusion of consensus because it caused me to waste quite a bit of time in Elden Ring. Whenever I had to look up the location of something, I'd usually pull up at least one terrible video that didn't actually show the info you need, and I'd waste a few minutes on it before I realized this and looked at the comments, whereas with dislikes I would have seen immediately that the video wasn't any good.

Fuckin' hell. "Protecting the mental health of creators by getting rid of dislikes" my ass. Creators CAN STILL SEE THEIR DISLIKES.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
Anyone else notice how like all of the major bosses in this game have names that start with R, M, or G?

It's like how James Cameron's movies all seem to start with either T or A
Its because those are three family lines. Renellas children are ranni renna and...uh. some other. Merikas bloodline has Melania etc. Godwyn the golden all he way down to sad God Rick.

Dark souls did thst with gwyn gyndolin gwynovier

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's about the same as my most recent respec. Vigor drops off pretty hard after 40 though, so I stopped at 35+5. Int 80, Dex 35+5, Str 13+5 (nagakiba req), Mind 26, End 24+5 is what I had at level 150.

Going to take Mind up to 40 next, that's when it hits 220 FP which is exactly what the +12 flask restores. Then I guess all in on Dex. Or more likely, finally beat the game and start playing my faith newb instead.

----------------------------
Speaking of flasks, I wonder why they stopped at 14 charges even though there's at least 5 extra seeds in the world (not counting the keepsake). It's weird, seeing as there's exactly 12 sacred tears.

Revised my stats a bit since I'm almost level 200 now from doing everything. Goal is level 255.

60 Vigor, 40 Mind, 30 End, 80 Int, 16 Str, Dex as high as it'll go. 16 Str so that I can still use the Brass Shield even if I unequip the Soreseal for whatever reason. 3 talisman slots is killin' me as a caster.

Overkill on HP/MP? Yeah maybe, but I want overkill for further NG cycles. Dex is like 25 so any further levels are going to that until it gets to 80.

I think I stopped playing Bloodborne at like level 250 so this kind of thing (going way into the levels) isn't new to me. I should be done with this build at level 255.

My flasks are also only +7 so I need to figure out which five Sacred Tears I missed before I go to NG+. Unless you can re-grab ones you already got there? Probably be easier to just do that.

I also think 14 charges is a weird number. I was SURE it went up to 20 like the other Soulsborne games.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I thought Merika was Godrick's mom. Marika being the Golden Goddess or whatever and Elden Lord Godfrey the Queen Consort?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Tuco Tuco good shit here, chase the bro is a PvP god though so don't expect it to go as smoothly.

I have watched his unedited streams he literally never loses.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was hesitant to try this game cause I’ve never liked Dark Souls and I gave up on Bloodborne after just a couple hours. But I picked this up today, and I’m glad I did. Obviously there are similarities to those other games, but in terms of enjoyment for me, the difference is night and day.

While still difficult, I didn’t have to try the first boss a gazillion times to beat him. The open world makes it far more interesting and lets you change course if you can’t handle something. The flask system is much better—feels less like farming. The number of save spots helps a bunch. The horse is a nice touch too.

I went Vagabond. Can someone explain the difference between Strength and Dexterity? I’ve really been liking the sword/shield combo. Sounds like I should go Strength, Vigor, and Endurance, correct?

The only thing that’s been a big turn off so far is the invaders. Maybe I just don’t understand how that works…

You can disable invasions by disconnecting from the internet, but I don't recommend it, being able to summon people outweighs getting invaded. I think you can only get invaded when you have the item activated that enables summons, or at least that's the only time I've seen it happen.

If you end up getting through this game and liking it a ton, you may want to give Bloodborne another shot. I also gave up on it after a couple of hours and thought it was a pretty shitty game (it was my first Soulsborne game). Was actually gonna return it to the store, and wrote an email to the friends who recommended it about how much it sucked.

The next day I decided to give it another shot and just sorta wander around leveling up (instead of trying to push my way forward like a regular game). I was still gonna return it, and still thought it sucked. However, a few hours into this second chance run, I found that I was actually making progress, unlocking new areas, found a new weapon, etc, and something clicked, and I kept playing. A week later I thought it was the best game of the 2010's and I still do.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I thought Merika was Godrick's mom. Marika being the Golden Goddess or whatever and Elden Lord Godfrey the Queen Consort?
Its family lineage. Godfrey is the first Elden Lord and father of Godwyn who is killed by the Black Knife cultists at
Ranni's
behest. Godrick who takes over Stormveil (which was Godwyn's castle) is a distant and shitty relative of the same generation as Godfrey, so not one of the demigod children.

Rennala and Radagon's children are Rykard, Ranni and Radahn. R names and shit yo.
They are demigods because they are Radagon's children. Rennala is just a Carian and for the most part a "normal" human, but an exceptional mage. Radagon is the male half of Marika.

Morgott, Mohg, Miquella and Malenia are all children of Marika and
Radagon, and are thus all products of weird incest. This is why they are all fucked up. The twins Morgott and Mohg are Omen Children, and were born with the horns and abandoned underground. The Twins Malenia and Miquella are also fucked. Miquella was stuck forever as a child, which is why you see that creepy image in the opening cinematic of Mohg carrying him. Malenia was born cursed with Scarlet Rot and thus has the prosthesis arm/leg due to them falling off.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Serious question, no troll.

Has someone beaten this game yet?

Yeah. Hatorade Hatorade was the first on here I think. I also beat it, and a couple other people. Enough time has gone by that I could have platinum'd it / beaten it a second time as well but I decided RL was semi-important and had to draw a line somewhere. Now I just play it in small doses, maybe a half hour a day to get some exp / go after some of the numerous things I missed.

Goonsquad Officer
i'm not sure if he was the first elden lord (married to marika) or her first kid. in any case i think the other god-dudes descend from him. or all the boys get named in that way.

yea what cyrusreij said

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Yeah. Hatorade Hatorade was the first on here I think. I also beat it, and a couple other people. Enough time has gone by that I could have platinum'd it / beaten it a second time as well but I decided RL was semi-important and had to draw a line somewhere. Now I just play it in small doses, maybe a half hour a day to get some exp / go after some of the numerous things I missed.
So my question is: Did it feel like GRRM had a hand in the story, or did they just pay him 5k and $0.02 perpetuity royalties for licensing his name to them?

Legit just trying to figure out the connection there.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco Tuco good shit here, chase the bro is a PvP god though so don't expect it to go as smoothly.

I'm surprised / disappointed he doesn't take advantage of bloodhound's step more. I remember feeling like it wasn't *quite* enough distance covered to really make a build around.

I might try something like this on a future playthrough, I felt like bleed wasn't as powerful in late game PVE as it was early/mid game. But it's so hard to tell.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So my question is: Did it feel like GRRM had a hand in the story, or did they just pay him 5k and $0.02 perpetuity royalties for licensing his name to them?

Impossible to say. They say that he created a standardish high-fantasy world that was like, Game of Thrones + gods/magic and then they "shattered" it with a cataclysmic event. You play in the 100+ish? year aftermath of that shattered world. But how much influence he had is totally unknowable to anyone but the people involved.

There are parts that feel more grounded in the politics and betrayal that ASOIAF has than than the metaphysical dread usually in soulsbourne games, but it's difficult to say whether that is due to GRRM or just them wanting to have more tangible plotlines or diversity in a massive world.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Nope, he might have named some places but nothing stands out.

• 2Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I switched from sword/shield to dual-wield blood by the time I got to Mountaintops and it was a game changer. I struggled before that, then dw-blood + mimic just shredded everything.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

How do you attack with both weapons at once like he's doing? I've tried dual-wielding and it seems like you can only hit with one, then the other, not both at once. I've seen people with two Ultra Greatswords in Souls 2 swinging both at once and I never knew how that worked either. Course I also haven't spent any real time on this either because I'm pretty reliant on quick shield blocks when I don't think a roll will work.

Dual-wielding blood weapons is pretty appealing but I think I'll stick with Moonveil/sorcery. I never really got to do anything with the Sword of Night and Flame either. There's also a Paladin build with the final boss sword and high Faith. ...geez, you could play this game for a thousand hours, easy.