Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also as someone going full frontal male nudity mage play, the difference between taking on those dogs as a sorcery caster and a melee is night and day. My wizard is naked except the cloth smock from Patches and a spellsword hat for the glintstone buff and spamming swift glintstone shard (night shard for the dodgy fucks) just fucking melts face all over caelid. The scaling on the starter spells is absolutely ludicrous, not to mention both those spells letting you launch them out of a dodge roll on the fly. Only serious concern is rot cure, which you can farm mats for or maybe drop enough faith to use the flame cleanse spell.

TLDR beeline to 80 INT is OP....... until you hit twin gargs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah my second real playthrough is as a mage and it’s way easier. Just being able to run into a room and destroy everything before it even knows you’re there is completely diff than melee. Or destroying stuff on ledges across the room.

I’m not exploring like crazy and clearing everything I see like the first playthrough but still finding shit I missed on my 120+ hour character. Wish I would’ve found the black feather cloak or whatever it’s called on my first playthrough, it would’ve been useful for that character as jump attacks were my jam.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am 100+ hours in. I could go fight Radagon right now, but I realized I haven't fought Malenia. I am in the Snow Fields right now and Fuck that Fog/Blizzard no vision bullshit! My older son said I still have a whole HailgiTree (sp?) area to uncover. I think my style of creeping through and discovering things has trivialized some of the content. My last few boss fights were a joke since I have been using the Fallingstar Beast Jaw that I got near Volcano Manor. The Godskin Duo was a joke with that weapon and so was Godfrey as well as Malekith.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
MissMikkaa streamer is playing this randomizer mod today, it's quite hilarious at times.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I am 100+ hours in. I could go fight Radagon right now, but I realized I haven't fought Malenia. I am in the Snow Fields right now and Fuck that Fog/Blizzard no vision bullshit! My older son said I still have a whole HailgiTree (sp?) area to uncover. I think my style of creeping through and discovering things has trivialized some of the content. My last few boss fights were a joke since I have been using the Fallingstar Beast Jaw that I got near Volcano Manor. The Godskin Duo was a joke with that weapon and so was Godfrey as well as Malekith.

Even as a melee, everything up to malenia and elden beast is easy. And they continue to nerf it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even as a melee, everything up to malenia and elden beast is easy. And they continue to nerf it.
I am sorta sad I over am over leveled, finally got to malenia last night decided to give it one try before bed, rivers of blood pushed her shot in during phase one with no issues, she got me in phase 2 as she surprised me but I felt like phase 1 should have been harder I hope It takes a few more tries but we will see

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I am sorta sad I over am over leveled, finally got to malenia last night decided to give it one try before bed, rivers of blood pushed her shot in during phase one with no issues, she got me in phase 2 as she surprised me but I felt like phase 1 should have been harder I hope It takes a few more tries but we will see

I honestly don't think she's all that difficult once you get her waterfowl dance down.

Her doing it at a bad time can still end in an instant loss, though

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So finished this, been playing for a while but tried to stay away from too many spoilers, checked some wiki stuff cause I hate some things in Souls(like NPC quests, always some stupid shit with these). Insanely good game, although I'll say it's by far the easiest Souls, assuming you don't restrict yourself. You get way more flasks than usual I feel like(I very very rarely ran out, only the first few hours if you don't know where the seeds/tears are and then in some of the longer dungeons later in the game), you can explore pretty far right away so you can farm high souls or get good gear early on and most importantly spirit ashes are broken shit. I guess it isn't too different than people using summons constantly on bosses but ashes are quite often even stronger than players and they don't require waiting and stuff.

I'll be rolling a new char for NG+ and this time playing without ashes.

My clear char was actually the 3rd char I played, I made my usual dagger char to start with but after like 5-6hours I just rerolled out of it cause I hated daggers in this, they still have their usual weaknesses(shit range, shit dmg on status immune mobs, shit stagger) but the strengths are barely even an advantage with how easy it is to make greases now or switch status on weapons with ashes of war, plus powerstance on other stronger weapons actually apply status just as fast. The mounted combat also doesn't help the reach issues.

Then I rolled my 2nd usual build, collossal sword build. Was actually pretty good, played with War Cry/Barbarian Cry at first, then switched to Ruins Greatsword, then switched to Redmane Flame ash and that one's broken shit. That said, got kinda bored of it and I rerolled about halfway through(after clearing everything outside Leyndell).

Eventually rolled a faith caster with focus on fire spells(Catch Flame, Sling Flame/Black Flame, Dragonfire, then switched to giant spells once I got them). Was pretty fun, although obviously the places with heavy fire resistant enemies weren't so great but I just switched to lightning spear for these as needed, wasn't that much though, most enemies are just resistant to fire but still get fucked pretty good with buffs, and there's only a handful of actually immune to fire stuff.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So finished this, been playing for a while but tried to stay away from too many spoilers, checked some wiki stuff cause I hate some things in Souls(like NPC quests, always some stupid shit with these). Insanely good game, although I'll say it's by far the easiest Souls, assuming you don't restrict yourself. You get way more flasks than usual I feel like(I very very rarely ran out, only the first few hours if you don't know where the seeds/tears are and then in some of the longer dungeons later in the game), you can explore pretty far right away so you can farm high souls or get good gear early on and most importantly spirit ashes are broken shit. I guess it isn't too different than people using summons constantly on bosses but ashes are quite often even stronger than players and they don't require waiting and stuff.

I'll be rolling a new char for NG+ and this time playing without ashes.

My clear char was actually the 3rd char I played, I made my usual dagger char to start with but after like 5-6hours I just rerolled out of it cause I hated daggers in this, they still have their usual weaknesses(shit range, shit dmg on status immune mobs, shit stagger) but the strengths are barely even an advantage with how easy it is to make greases now or switch status on weapons with ashes of war, plus powerstance on other stronger weapons actually apply status just as fast. The mounted combat also doesn't help the reach issues.

Then I rolled my 2nd usual build, collossal sword build. Was actually pretty good, played with War Cry/Barbarian Cry at first, then switched to Ruins Greatsword, then switched to Redmane Flame ash and that one's broken shit. That said, got kinda bored of it and I rerolled about halfway through(after clearing everything outside Leyndell).

Eventually rolled a faith caster with focus on fire spells(Catch Flame, Sling Flame/Black Flame, Dragonfire, then switched to giant spells once I got them). Was pretty fun, although obviously the places with heavy fire resistant enemies weren't so great but I just switched to lightning spear for these as needed, wasn't that much though, most enemies are just resistant to fire but still get fucked pretty good with buffs, and there's only a handful of actually immune to fire stuff.

Ashes are better than most players since the boss's hp doesn't scale with ashes like they do with extra players.

Done a lot of melania as a summon and most people are awful hurt more than they help

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ashes are better than most players since the boss's hp doesn't scale with ashes like they do with extra players.

Done a lot of melania as a summon and most people are awful hurt more than they help
Yeah that's what I thought too, unless you get a really good player, quite often players were worse than ashes, especially the top tier ashes. Stuff like the greatshield bois will completely trivialize any fight where the boss doesn't have strong aoes, especially in small rooms where they'll just box the boss against a wall and prevent it from moving around(in catacombs and stuff happens on most bosses). And Mimic Tear is super broken as a caster too, since they have infinite FP and very high defensive stats(much higher than yourself, at least in terms of raw hp, so caster with a decent shield means they're very resistant to damage while doing a bunch of damage since they don't miss nearly as much).

I initially thought they would only make ashes available for some fights but the fights you can't use ashes on are more an exception(invasion type fights and gaols are pretty much the only ones without ashes). On the flipside, it's a good solution for people who always wanted an easy mode for souls. There's always been easier setups like shield+spear+heavy armor kind of stuff to make it easier for people that weren't as good, but ashes push that further so even fairly poor players can actually clear most fights as long as they stack their damage high enough and ping pong aggro. Which I don't mind personally, but yeah I won't be using them next cause it's too easy to abuse the aggro system in this.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gave dark moon greatsword some more run tonight. This thing just kinda sucks to use the ashes plus R2. Misses all the fucking time. Went back and did a few bosses missed and even on overleveled content I felt it put me at a severe disadvantage compared to any faster dw or 2H. Epic questline for such a meh reward.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I tried Dark Souls and hated it. Thankfully this game you can out level stuff.

Followed a few different rune farm guides and now "starting" the game at level 100. It'a pretty chill so far but still actually possible to die.

Here's a speed run of level 1-100 in 75 minutes.

• 1Worf

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Gave dark moon greatsword some more run tonight. This thing just kinda sucks to use the ashes plus R2. Misses all the fucking time. Went back and did a few bosses missed and even on overleveled content I felt it put me at a severe disadvantage compared to any faster dw or 2H. Epic questline for such a meh reward.
Wing of Astel is just so much quicker and doesn't require any prebuff for a ranged attack.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

I agree. I was actually supremely disappointed in this sword, although the quest to get it was fucking amazing. The sword itself is not that great. The ice it throws can be helpful, especially since it doesn't cost any more FP after the initial charge, but it is slow and doesn't do very good damage as just the sword itself, and there are 10 or more weapons in the game easily that are much better and don't require nearly as much effort to get. Still a fun quest, though.

• 2Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Just an FYI, Melania is in the Haligtree dungeon. So you can kill two birds with one stone on that one.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I agree. I was actually supremely disappointed in this sword, although the quest to get it was fucking amazing. The sword itself is not that great. The ice it throws can be helpful, especially since it doesn't cost any more FP after the initial charge, but it is slow and doesn't do very good damage as just the sword itself, and there are 10 or more weapons in the game easily that are much better and don't require nearly as much effort to get. Still a fun quest, though.
If you are an 80 int build, its one of the hardest hitting weapons in the game, bar none. And if you talisman up to boost sorceries, especially the Godrick one that pumps charged sorcs, you are doing really hard damage with the shot. Its not the best weapon, moveset wise, but the shot is essentially a free large target nuke and it hits like a freight train in the hands of an 80 int character. Strictly in PvE I put it up there with the final sword and blasphemous.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even if you ignore the great damage, DMGS has amazing stagger when combined with Greatblade Phalanx. I was practically chain staggering all end game bosses.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Started a NG+ run and damn NG+ is super poorly balanced, everything early game dies in like one combo. Cleared out the first 3 major bosses already in a couple of hours and working on the 4th. Had to do a few things here and there to get missing talismans and what not, fucked up Patches emote that I was missing because I killed him by mistake but no big deal I guess. I'm just running through all the rememberances bosses and then I'll stop there and wait for DLCs probably.

Even if you ignore the great damage, DMGS has amazing stagger when combined with Greatblade Phalanx. I was practically chain staggering all end game bosses.
That's just greatblade phalanx though, you can use it with any other weapon(or no weapon, just staff) and it'll stagger a bunch. The ash of war also staggers a lot(it's only glintblade phalanx, but seems to stagger as much as greatblade phalanx spell). Being a greatsword it has more natural stagger than say a dagger, so it helps too, but you could swing an even heavier weap like the Ruins collossal to get more stagger, and while the R2 have to be used for every shot unlike darkmoon, it also has more range, does a knockdown and goes through walls with a high vertical height(hits flyers and jumping shit). Different overall but yeah Dark moon looked pretty unimpressive in terms of mechanics, although it looks neat.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Started a NG+ run and damn NG+ is super poorly balanced, everything early game dies in like one combo. Cleared out the first 3 major bosses already in a couple of hours and working on the 4th. Had to do a few things here and there to get missing talismans and what not, fucked up Patches emote that I was missing because I killed him by mistake but no big deal I guess. I'm just running through all the rememberances bosses and then I'll stop there and wait for DLCs probably.

That's just greatblade phalanx though, you can use it with any other weapon(or no weapon, just staff) and it'll stagger a bunch. The ash of war also staggers a lot(it's only glintblade phalanx, but seems to stagger as much as greatblade phalanx spell). Being a greatsword it has more natural stagger than say a dagger, so it helps too, but you could swing an even heavier weap like the Ruins collossal to get more stagger, and while the R2 have to be used for every shot unlike darkmoon, it also has more range, does a knockdown and goes through walls with a high vertical height(hits flyers and jumping shit). Different overall but yeah Dark moon looked pretty unimpressive in terms of mechanics, although it looks neat.
My default intelligence play has been to run cold uchigatana with glintblade phalanx dw with moonveil. Can be annoying as shit to get glintblade back up sometimes but it staggers a bunch with the moonveil art.