Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Digital Foundry performance update after day 1 patch…

The PC situation is also worth clarifying. As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues.

First there are stutters of up to 250 milliseconds in length when new effects, enemies, and areas appear on screen. These types of stutter lessen as the play experience goes on and enemies, areas, and effects are revisited by the player. A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s.

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters. Other issues to note are the lack of ultrawide screen support, no support for frame-rates above 60fps, and unintuitive graphical options that lack visible scaling. As we have seen with other titles suffering from similar issues such as Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Halo Infinite, it could be sensible to wait for further patches before investing time into the PC version of Elden Ring.

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Why would you not get this for PC? Cinders mod alone added 100s of hours of content, and that isn’t even the best mod just the biggest.
Just don’t pick up anything an invader drops and you good, eventually hackers all get their own servers.
How long does it take usually to see the good mods start releasing? I’m doing PS5 but might double dip on PC later during a sale of they end up with some good mods.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
*Me reading about news of WW3*

"Yeah, but Elden Ring is still coming out tomorrow, right?"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum

The PC situation is also worth clarifying. As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues.

First there are stutters of up to 250 milliseconds in length when new effects, enemies, and areas appear on screen. These types of stutter lessen as the play experience goes on and enemies, areas, and effects are revisited by the player. A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s.

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters. Other issues to note are the lack of ultrawide screen support, no support for frame-rates above 60fps, and unintuitive graphical options that lack visible scaling. As we have seen with other titles suffering from similar issues such as Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Halo Infinite, it could be sensible to wait for further patches before investing time into the PC version of Elden Ring.
Lethal Weapon Fuck This Shit GIF

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I played Dark Souls when it came PC and had a total trash port. It was fine. Some stutter isn't a big deal.

Plus, frame stutter in games is a great way to detect enemies coming close to the player, so it's actually a feature!!

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
gotta love how vast majority of the twitch streamers who are usually online at this time are off right now. Getting that precious sleep before the game launches

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I played Dark Souls when it came PC and had a total trash port. It was fine. Some stutter isn't a big deal.

Plus, frame stutter in games is a great way to detect enemies coming close to the player, so it's actually a feature!!
I don’t think this will be perfect on any platform. The console versions reportedly have a lot of pop in. It’s going to be a good time regardless of minor performance and graphic issues. I just hope it isn’t hard crashing is all.

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

Sigh Parks And Rec GIF - Sigh Parks And Rec Ron - Discover & Share GIFs

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>

Young Leonardo Dicaprio GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

DS1 on PC was a shit show, but my standards and expectations were lower. DS3 and Sekiro were both awesome at launch on PC.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Young Leonardo Dicaprio GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

DS1 on PC was a shit show, but my standards and expectations were lower. DS3 and Sekiro were both awesome at launch on PC.
Shouldn’t you be on a fucking plane by now? You can drop your opinions in this thread once you’re playing the game with us you pleb.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Shouldn’t you be on a fucking plane by now? You can drop your opinions in this thread once you’re playing the game with us you pleb.
plz no bully

• 2Worf

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I keep checking this thread every 30 minutes hoping someone finds a way to unlock early on ps5.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I keep checking this thread every 30 minutes hoping someone finds a way to unlock early on ps5.
Nope, it's just Hateyou Hateyou being mean to me.

PS: Leaving for the airport around 6pm EST. Shitposting at full volume until then!

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
Tons of streamers are playing it now so be careful of spoilers and shit, although honestly I never understood spoilers about Souls games... a bunch of big ass bosses will look creepy as fuck and 1 shot you, its not like anyone can really explain the story of any of these games in anything under 1 hour lore videos

You can play on xbox if you bought it already, just set your xbox console to NZ region. No such luck for PC and ps5 plebs

Last edited:

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider

stop.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tons of streamers are playing it now so be careful of spoilers and shit, although honestly I never understood spoilers about Souls games... a bunch of big ass bosses will look creepy as fuck and 1 shot you, its not like anyone can really explain the story of any of these games in anything under 1 hour lore videos
Yeah, after 100%ing this game I'm going to need a set of lore videos that will explain the lore in the order I was supposed to see the game content to minimize spoilers as I watch these videos.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
watching cohh some, the PC stutter issue is making it basically unplayable on the boss he is doing

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
  • 1Faggotry

spronk

FPS noob
apparently its something to do with newer cards too, reviewers who ran it on 1080ti's said they had almost no stutter issues while people with 30xx cards are seeing lots more stutter issues. ironic

wouldn't really be surprising at all if the From PC team has no 30xx cards at all in house.

• 1Like