Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The game is chock full of respec items, I'm not sure any of this applies
I had thought only 20 of those items exist on any particular run?

Yes you can absolutely come across like 10 of them without doing anything fancy. I know I did.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really love how BG3 makes respecs very inexpensive (100 gold, I've earned around 40,000 gold in a playthrough) and unlimited. I wish that was the standard in gaming. I didn't use all my respecs in Elden Ring and probably would've respec'd more if I had unlimited respecs, and enjoyed the game more by trying out more varied specs.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really love how BG3 makes respecs very inexpensive (100 gold, I've earned around 40,000 gold in a playthrough) and unlimited. I wish that was the standard in gaming. I didn't use all my respecs in Elden Ring and probably would've respec'd more if I had unlimited respecs, and enjoyed the game more by trying out more varied specs.
Absolutely.

Inability to respec easily because of "lol game narrative" gets in the way of games being fun. Which should be the priority.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The other issue with the game was the stingy upgrade materials prior to a couple of patches. You couldn't reasonably swap weapons after you'd spent your upgrade mats on some earlier weapon you'd found.

So go ahead, respect to caster from melee, and enjoy your weapon being complete trash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I had thought only 20 of those items exist on any particular run?
For the dragon sombers iirc.
I really love how BG3 makes respecs very inexpensive (100 gold, I've earned around 40,000 gold in a playthrough) and unlimited. I wish that was the standard in gaming. I didn't use all my respecs in Elden Ring and probably would've respec'd more if I had unlimited respecs, and enjoyed the game more by trying out more varied specs
I imagine it was supposed to be an incentive to play NG+.

Game was certainly a work of art in pretty much every section;

2.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

nu_11

This guy's channel is great. He connects a lot of elden ring locations and history to real world events and cultures

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
When you equip Melania's helmet is also changes your hair to match hers. Mildly morbid. She also rustled my jimmies nicely, first time I killed her after about 50 attempts I died two seconds after she did so it didnt count.

Also I can sum this game up in a single word; tedious.

I could see someone having issues with upgrade mats. They're tiered and scattered about, and with the open world nature of the game there were a number of times where I had, say, plenty of 1/2/3/6/7 stones but no 4/5, so all my weapons were stuck at 3. Or I had plenty of 1/3/4 of another mat but no 2's. And yes I would have to look up locations for the missing things and find that I'd missed a particular early dungeon or something like that. The upgrade mats could be more spread-out and diverse (for example, areas that drop 7 could also drop 3/4/5/6 uncommonly, stuff like that). At least there are the bell bearings that you can get to unlock upgrade mats at merchants, that helps hugely in the endgame. I'd suggest people go spend their souls buying up on upgrade mats they're short on before they start a new NG cycle for that very reason. At the end of a regular ER game if you have all the bell bearings you can stock up. I'd generally buy like 3-5 of every upgrade mat at the end of a cycle so I could instantly max out a few new weapons in the next game.

It isn't a perfect game but it's pretty close to that.

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
I just finished it after 146 hours as a mage. What a masterpiece, I am now not sure if I should start a NG or just wait and collect more missed things and potentially wait until it is more clear how the new content will be accessable. I would like to avoid to have another elden beast fight if possible ;) (damn this took me like ages)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Not convinced that there's anything to this. It's basically just a controller collaboration dropping on the anniversary of the game, doesn't mean SotE is dropping at the same time. It the controller is itself an SotE controller it could also be generating hype for later in the year. We don't know anything yet.

That said it would be awesome if this WAS something. If they drop SotE on us in February...well, they should drop it right between Infinite Wealth and FF7. The anniversary would be...a week before FF7 I think which also works.

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
I just finished it after 146 hours as a mage. What a masterpiece, I am now not sure if I should start a NG or just wait and collect more missed things and potentially wait until it is more clear how the new content will be accessable. I would like to avoid to have another elden beast fight if possible ;) (damn this took me like ages)
I'd recommend starting a new build and plowing back in since we have no idea when the dlc is really coming. Once you get the patterns down on the first run through all the bosses are much easier to deal with. They don't ramp up enemy health or damage as much as most NG+ games. Just pick a build/weapon and respec at the academy before you start the new game so you won't have to clear to there to respec.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Start over as a melee, take different routes / dialogues from what you did in your first run.

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
People say magic is easy mode but I got so accustomed to melee, I got fucking wrecked as a magic user.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Mmm, ER virgin here. Never played the ds games either. Just bought ER for xbx. I know of the ds memes as well as lmsh with the pot on the head. Mmm, thinking caster build to start with. So do I want to play wretch or astroleger?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Mmm, ER virgin here. Never played the ds games either. Just bought ER for xbx. I know of the ds memes as well as lmsh with the pot on the head. Mmm, thinking caster build to start with. So do I want to play wretch or astroleger?

Always wretch. In souls-likes, it's simply the starting state, not a "class."

Starting with literally nothing has always felt the best to me in these games, as you get a real sense of accomplishment as you find new equipment.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Always wretch. In souls-likes, it's simply the starting state, not a "class."

Starting with literally nothing has always felt the best to me in these games, as you get a real sense of accomplishment as you find new equipment.
1702770749311.gif

Love me some clothie. Alright, glad it's not that locked-in, cool. I'll give it a go with a wretch, see how far I get bf getting whacked :D Thanks!

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Love me some clothie. Alright, glad it's not that locked-in, cool. I'll give it a go with a wretch, see how far I get bf getting whacked :D Thanks!

Also, you don't have to shuffle through your spells/potions/etc while in combat. Use the four quick items slots in the pouch.

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People say magic is easy mode but I got so accustomed to melee, I got fucking wrecked as a magic user.

I've played through as several types of melee and caster. Over all I'd say caster is easier, but no matter your build, there's a boss that will make your life suck more than any other. For example I remember getting owned by something as 2h chonk boi, but when I played them as a power stance rapier I went in expecting a repeat and completely demolished them. So I stopped worrying about what was "best" as the game is so diverse, there's a pro/con to everything.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users