Elder Scrolls VI - Argonia

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Just did a quick trademark search (Skyrim's trademark was up for a couple years prior to the game being announced), and there's no trademark for Argonia; so yeah, calling bullshit on this one.

(Well, there is a trademark on an Argonia brand of bathroom accessories, but that's not exactly wowing me.)

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Morrowind was what broke me from Playstation. Playing it back when the most graphically intensive game I was running in was EQ, it blew my mind. Walked into a store with money from my first job, planning on buying a PS2. Clerk has it all, but rang out for me, when I realize I can't get a memory card and a game at the same time. Dude walks in with an Xbox he wants to trade in because "this is the midwest, so probably meth whatever" and I instantly purchased that mofo with Morrowind. I was hooked, even bothered to go back and play Daggerfall on PC. I still have never beat the main questline for Morrowind, I can't bring myself to end it. Still have a goty version, with complete overhaul mod package, installed with a save game like half way through main quest. Gets copied over ever pc wipe, for the day I finally decide to beat it. I'll be hooked on Elder Scrolls for life. I went into TESO hoping so fucking hard, and left so fucking sad. Even that won't shake my die hard, drunk rose tinted goggle, fanboi ass madness for this franchise, and I think that's the hardest I've ever been buttfucked by a game in the feels/expectations department. Loved Skyrim and Oblivion both, though I'll never make the mistake of not day one purchasing it for PC and not whatever console again... I stop slobbering all over Bethesda's/Elder Scrolls cock now and go try to find my dignity.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I can't imagine enjoying the black marsh as the entire setting.
Well assuming they go that way, I guess they'll still find ways to make it varied and stuff. Kinda like how skyrim isn't just "WHITE EVERYWHERE LULZ". I mean it's a lot of snow but there's a bunch of other shit too.

They haven't confirmed shit though, for all we know we could be going back to Morrowind. Or Daggerfall or wherever, plenty of places to go.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's funny, every console iteration, I try to pick 3 games, just 3, that I could have that console and those games, and at that stage in my life could have been happy forever. Xbox was Morrowind, Halo, and KOTOR. Playstation would be Tony Hawk whatever number didn't matter, Final Fantasy 8, and Final Fantasy 7. N64 was Golden Eye, Rogue Squadron? can't remember the exact name now, and Ocarina of Time. Super is hard as hell, the only single slot of the 3 I can say with certainty is Chrono Trigger. 360 would be CoD4 the first Modern Warfare, Skyrim, and no idea for a third slot.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well assuming they go that way, I guess they'll still find ways to make it varied and stuff. Kinda like how skyrim isn't just "WHITE EVERYWHERE LULZ". I mean it's a lot of snow but there's a bunch of other shit too.

They haven't confirmed shit though, for all we know we could be going back to Morrowind. Or Daggerfall or wherever, plenty of places to go.
Landscape wise Black Marsh will be fine. The only hard part will be all the damn Argonians. Though I guess after the shit that Argonians have taken in Oblivion, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online and especially Morrowind, they deserve to be on top.

Maybe I lack imagination but I am honestly apprehensive about them being able to beat Skyrim. Skyrim was such an excellent elder scrolls game and the dragon mechanic was incredible.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Maybe I lack imagination but I am honestly apprehensive about them being able to beat Skyrim. Skyrim was such an excellent elder scrolls game and the dragon mechanic was incredible.
Yelling "FUS ROH DAH!" at the kinect was really fun when drunk. If you're talking about the DLC where you can ride dragons though...I thought that was the worst part of skyrim.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah see I actually watched my nephew play skyrim over the holidays since he's a huge fan and I got him into the game by letting him watch me play. I nodded along and cheered him on but it's like a totally different game if you're even a half-assed PC modder. Just stupid little things like how he had to manage his save file size (LOL) and a lot of the shit that PC tweaked in or out over the years.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I hope they embrace more of a living breathing world that changes in reaction to your behavior next time. Skyrim's resolution of the civil war was ~meh, among other events that had virtually no impact on the world.

I liked DA2's concept of different acts. I'd rather see the changes flow in real time, but if you had 3-5 acts in an elder scrolls game you could see big transitions in where troops are set up, what battles have come and gone, why siding with X or Y mattered, etc. It would be a bit like importing your save into the subsequent Mass Effect games and having content open or close.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Gimmah! I loved Skyrim, and i thought Oblivion was good, but gimmah more Morrowind setting and storyline.

Either way, as has been said in this thread, there will be a fuckton of media coverage as the next TES game starts getting revealed. This is not it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Argonia is pretty much a hoax but there's definitely an issue with ESO shitting up the overall canon with its dumbass version of things. Even if they manage to pull together the top-notch consistent art direction that Skyrim had, they still have to work around and somehow retcon whatever sappy wow-ified bullshit ESO managed to shit the bed with in any given region.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think they have to even have knowledge of what ESO did. I'm sure the entire game is a bit of a pariah in the Bethesda office. There is literally nothing in that game I can think of that they should use as a reference of what to do or even not to do.

If I can throw my 2 cents into the overal design philosophy I'd agree with Agraza. They should go back to the roots of ES and embrace a living breathing world that is unconstrained by a particular quest system. It'd be cool if they made it much more sandboxy and random. They did a lot of that with the random quest system, random events, random dragons etc, but the game world is none-the-less very static, and all the best quests were static.

I'd love randomization to the point where there are no unkillable NPCs, entire towns could be wiped out by plague, towns could be taken over by bandits, you as the player could help improve the town with dynamically created structures (ex Kenshi), there'd be deformable terrain, each character in the world would have a disposition toward you (ala Morrowind).

Vitality

HUSTLE
If Elderscrolls can setup a rogue-like procedurally generated version in this next edition I'm sure a ton of us will go absolutely crazy with replayability value.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Don't feel too bad Bandwagon, I once made a thread about Dragon Age 3 based on a stupid Witcher video ( I knew it wasn't DA, it was a joke but still) and then not too long after it actually got announced! There is still hope for you and your thread bro.

khorum

Murder Apologist
If I can throw my 2 cents into the overal design philosophy I'd agree with Agraza. They should go back to the roots of ES and embrace a living breathing world that is unconstrained by a particular quest system. It'd be cool if they made it much more sandboxy and random. They did a lot of that with the random quest system, random events, random dragons etc, but the game world is none-the-less very static, and all the best quests were static.
I agree. I'd even go as far as suggesting that they leave the rough edges IN the game instead of over-polishing it to a harmless, inoffensive, uninteresting experience.

Playing through Shadows of Mordor kinda clicked that in for me: A decade of WoW and GTA and AssCreed with their highly polished gameplay has actually diminished the rough-hewn sense of fun that really sucked you into a lot of the earliest sandbox RPGs.

Nowadays all these AAA sandbox games are so over-curated that within a few minutes you know it's impossible to get "lost".... that you won't be allowed to "break" anything and you'll only suffer as much adversity as serves the narrative.

Likewise, it wasn't the difficulty of DS2 that turned me off as much as missing those rough edges from Demon's Souls... even Dark Souls felt a little blander precisely because it wasn't as "wild" as ds.