Electronic Dance Music

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I was stuck in the Jerome Hotel in Aspen with Deadmau5 over Xgames weekend a few years ago, and he was the most pretentious douche canoe I'd ever seen.

Then, I was listening to strobe for the 1 millionth time and realized I don't actually care what a douche he is. He's talented as hell. Love that Veldt clip

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I was stuck in the Jerome Hotel in Aspen with Deadmau5 over Xgames weekend a few years ago, and he was the most pretentious douche canoe I'd ever seen.

Then, I was listening to strobe for the 1 millionth time and realized I don't actually care what a douche he is. He's talented as hell. Love that Veldt clip
If you watch his stream enough you kind of get to know him. I don't think he is pretentious per se, I think he is just Hyper Focused - ADD/ADHD maybe on the Autism Spectrum ... or maybe that is just the fanboi in me making excuses for him. When I think of "pretentious' I think of people that think they are better than others, I just don't get that vibe from him.

Yeah, I love that Veldt Clip, I almost linked it but was lazy :p

I actually watched that clip everyday for a month or two because it was just inspiring.

Also...the irony of my statement was not lost on me :D

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Deadmau5 might be the biggest bitch in the world, but he puts his heart and soul into a set:

I will say he is VERY bull headed on the EDM scene for taste and I can't blame him. He loves his tier of music and I like his taste in music too. He has a no compromise taste of Techo, and I can't blame him.

He says he hates dubstep, but I think he likes Jeff and Seven Lions. I'd be very surprise if he came out hating Seven Lions. Jeff's sound of dubstep is very unique like his sound of music is.

When it comes to EDM, Deadmau5 is his own genre of music. His studio is full of unique sounds that I gravitate too. I fail to see how I hate anything he puts out.

Last edited:

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Araxen Araxen What's funny is weren't Deadmau5 and Skrillex friends before the Bieber thing? Is that when Deadmau5 got vocal about Dubstep? And the way Deadmau5 presents his argument against things just screams ADHD more than he is a dick, again might just be the fanboi in me.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If you watch his stream enough you kind of get to know him. I don't think he is pretentious per se, I think he is just Hyper Focused - ADD/ADHD maybe on the Autism Spectrum ... or maybe that is just the fanboi in me making excuses for him. When I think of "pretentious' I think of people that think they are better than others, I just don't get that vibe from him.

Also...the irony of my statement was not lost on me :D

Nah he really was just being an obnoxious dickhead - that weekend they got like 4' of snow in Aspen, and everything in town basically shut down (including flights/roads/lifts etc - it was like a 40 year blizzard). Everyone got trapped in the hotel and there is a very nice, very famous bar on the first floor of the hotel (for reference, my wife and I were by far the brokest people in the hotel, ha) - during said blizzard from hell, he's in the bar with a few guys, and he and the guys start smoking... Staff politely ask him to step outside if they want to smoke, and he and his pals throw the biggest, cringiest shit-fit I've ever seen. The words "I could buy your shitty hotel, it's 20 degrees outside go fuck yourself" were spoken. Bear in mind, that after my wife and I, Deadmau5 was probably one of the poorest dudes in that hotel, and that bar in particular was loaded with the uber rich. I get it was a crappy break (we were all scheduled to fly out and flights were cancelled), and I get he was stressed out, but fuck man, show some social awareness.

Still love his music though, he's an absolute genius and his set that weekend was epic

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I went to The Chainsmokers concert in Honolulu tonight. Decent show. Loud as fuck. I wore ear plugs which helped substantially, but I'm still ringing a bit. And it was the strongest bass I've ever felt before. Holy shit. Like sitting inside of a competition SPL car.

EDIT: I just finished loading a bunch of videos onto youtube from the show. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't record bass at all, but aside from that, it sounds really good. Surprising with how loud it was. Oh well, enjoy.

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah her voice is great. The live version of Waiting with Gareth Emery on piano is pretty amazing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No truly major DJ's at Ultra next weekend. No Martin, Zedd, etc and it's the 20th anniversary. I can't wait till next weekend, but it sucks seeing Dash still getting a before sunset set.