Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You have to actively look for pirates by looking for unidentified signatures and dropping out of hyperspace on them.

Does interdiction require a module of some kind?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit I got knocked out of hyperspace by a pirate in a federal dropship, beat him for a 30k bounty. Beat him with a stock Eagle. He got me to 60% hull, was pretty intense. He had some turrets that could fully shoot above and below him.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game will be awesome as soon as they make grouping viable and add some more content. I'm still trying to figure out how I get to a war zone.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't think it'll take that long at all. Everything works they just have to populate space with more encounters and types of missions.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Aw yeah, just had a massive battle with 5 expert/dangerous wanted targets with the help of 7 federal ships. Came out 53k ahead in bounties.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Right now, in this state, this is pretty much exactly what I wanted out it - an update from the original that was pretty much the same thing with glitzy graphics and a bit more depth added to it. Controls are not nearly as bad as I thought with keyboard/mouse, NVIDIA driver update yesterday seemed to have improved performance for me significantly, endless trading, different ships to tool around in, and the classic docking! Though that is alot easier than I remember it being. The combat, I've noticed, about 80% of the time I attack someone, they just spin around aimlessly and try to flee, maybe take a few potshots. The other 20%, well, the other 20% it gets crazy.

This has the potential to keep me busy until Witcher 3 finally releases in Dec 2026.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It just doesn't do anything. It doesn't share missions or bounties or make navigation easier.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How necessary is a joystick? Is playing this w/ mouse tedious?
I am finding it not bad at all with a mouse. The only real things I changed were what Draegan posted a few pages back:

(From Draegan)
"Change Mouse X axis to YAW
Change A D to ROLL
Adjust the mouse near the center of the screen to be accurate. NO DEAD ZONE. Dead zone on a mouse is dumb, but it's needed for a joystick. Then tinker with the sensitivity settings."

That has worked well for me so far, didn't take long at all to get the hang of things, I played through a couple of the tutorials (target practice, docking, one of the combat ones) and jumped right in. Sure, I still get all cockeyed trying to dock and ram into something every now and then, but I probably would with a joystick too, lol.

*edit* I should caveat that I spent a hefty chunk of my childhood playing the originalEliteon a keyboard, and as someone else pointed out it here it feels similar to that, so there might be some bias there on my part.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Day 1: Couldn't keep myself from yawing and pitching through space uncontrollably. Using keyboard and mouse at the moment. Started looking at 360 controller setups.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Aw yeah, just had a massive battle with 5 expert/dangerous wanted targets with the help of 7 federal ships. Came out 53k ahead in bounties.
Did you find a war-zone or just happened upon the fight? Nice job with the dropship too, I almost had my ass handed to me from some Bounty in an imperial clipper, damn they hurt.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have not found a warzone, it was just a random signature that escalated.

Interdicted a couple pirate ships last night. My space sphere is so lit up right now.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally got attacked by a real ship. Probably a real pushover for my cobra, but it was a Cobra with no shields and it did not feel like a lot of firepower. Burned him in a pretty quick fight either way, the weapons did enough damage.

I also got a chance to use the KWS, so I got a 6600 bounty from him being wanted and a 2k imperial bounty as well. I assume I just cash in the federal bounties since I am in fed space and will keep racking up those imperial bounties until it's worth a trip?