Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
having to much fun, wish I could get past the starter bullshit no missions with my 1-2 hours every couple of days.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They're renaming the station orbiting the planet Vulcan in LHS 3006 next patch to Leonard Nimoy

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's rad stuff, there was a huge push on reddit to name the Yembo community goal station to Leonard Nimoy Memorial. I submitted that name, thought it was an awesome idea.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So glad I backed this when the kickstarter was up. Finally got a machine that runs it decently, having tons of fun. Started playing ~2 weeks ago, filthy casual and all that, took me a week to convince myself that a HOTAS is what I need, having even more fun now.

I also boosted one of my sidewinders straight into the edge of the mailslot after take-off once, so I've got that going for me.

Having such a nostalgia trip here, I loved F:E2 and FFE.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So glad I backed this when the kickstarter was up. Finally got a machine that runs it decently, having tons of fun. Started playing ~2 weeks ago, filthy casual and all that, took me a week to convince myself that a HOTAS is what I need, having even more fun now.

I also boosted one of my sidewinders straight into the edge of the mailslot after take-off once, so I've got that going for me.

Having such a nostalgia trip here, I loved F:E2 and FFE.
Gotvoice attack? worth the extra $8.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Anyone tried out the new ships on the beta server? Not had a chance to download it yet, but dying for a good review of them.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Anyone tried out the new ships on the beta server? Not had a chance to download it yet, but dying for a good review of them.
Vulture - Very manoeuvrable, decent jump range, two large hardpoints, but power issues. Kind of like an Eagle on steroids. Like it.

Fer-de-Lance. The picture says it best:

rrr_img_91863.jpg

It has lots of firepower - 1 huge hardpoint + 4 medium. It's fast and manoeuvrable for a big ship, but it looks like the jump range will be limited. There's not much room for cargo either. The cost will probably fall between a Python and an Anaconda. If the Vulture is a beefed-up Eagle, then maybe the FDL is a beefed-up Viper.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Thanks for the info, both seem to suffer from really low jump-range. Any official word on the pricing?

Sitting in a Type 9 right now and wondering if I should simply grind the money for the FDL or sell this POS trader
smile.png
Sure its nice to float 500 tons of cargo but dear god it handles like a dead slug and while I dont mind grinding I had a more fun time in both the Python and the Clipper doing trade.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the info, both seem to suffer from really low jump-range. Any official word on the pricing?

Sitting in a Type 9 right now and wondering if I should simply grind the money for the FDL or sell this POS trader
smile.png
Sure its nice to float 500 tons of cargo but dear god it handles like a dead slug and while I dont mind grinding I had a more fun time in both the Python and the Clipper doing trade.
AFAIK no official word yet. I would guess the Vulture to be about 10 million and the FDL at least 40 million but probably a lot more, maybe even 100 million to make it more "exclusive".

Vulture jump range can reach 17 LY without having to resort to undersizing modules, so it's not too bad. You won't be trading in either ship. Actually, combat in 1.2 seems to be much more profitable now, so you might not need to grind trade routes anyway.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

smile.png
Vulture 20m, FDL 100m, according to the price of the military grade composite, which is always roughly the same as the ship itself.

However, their outfittings aren't as big as ships in that price range, so they aren't quite that expensive when fully fitted.
Python for example demands a 51 mil power plant and 16 mil thrusters, the FDL only wants 5 mil for each of those.

But both are too slow to be bounty hunters, so it's really just a very expensive PVE ship on both counts.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Went out 10k LY, scanned a shiton of systems including 4 earth like and a boatload of water worlds with life, came back 50 LY from civilization with all the data, jumped to a system, my son asks me something so i turn around to answer him for a minute, turns out my throttle was zero'ed near the sun's corona ....turn back when shit starts beeping, 350 percent heat, no saving that.

Fuck me for being a complete moron, Gah.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Vulture 20m, FDL 100m, according to the price of the military grade composite, which is always roughly the same as the ship itself.

However, their outfittings aren't as big as ships in that price range, so they aren't quite that expensive when fully fitted.
Python for example demands a 51 mil power plant and 16 mil thrusters, the FDL only wants 5 mil for each of those.

But both are too slow to be bounty hunters, so it's really just a very expensive PVE ship on both counts.
Have a hard time with those calculations. FD are insane if the FDL costs more then 25 mil or so since its preformance vs price is a joke in that case. As you said, its based on the hull upgrades, I sincerely hope that is not the whole story.

Why is it so hard for them to come out with the bloody price on things when they put everything else out there
mad.png

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Oh and exclusive release ofEliteon the Xbox One apparently... I hope MS had to pay good money for that.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Went out 10k LY, scanned a shiton of systems including 4 earth like and a boatload of water worlds with life, came back 50 LY from civilization with all the data, jumped to a system, my son asks me something so i turn around to answer him for a minute, turns out my throttle was zero'ed near the sun's corona ....turn back when shit starts beeping, 350 percent heat, no saving that.

Fuck me for being a complete moron, Gah.
Dude, I feel your pain, but don't give up exploration! I've almost got my asp monies, about 1 million away, then its off into deep space until I die or almost die. Maybe in 5 months I'll come back and have enough to kit out one of these expensive ships.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Dude, I feel your pain, but don't give up exploration! I've almost got my asp monies, about 1 million away, then its off into deep space until I die or almost die. Maybe in 5 months I'll come back and have enough to kit out one of these expensive ships.
I hope you have enough for both ship and insurance
smile.png
It can be ....painfull out there.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I hope you have enough for both ship and insurance
smile.png
It can be ....painfull out there.
Indeed, the money I need is part of the required rebuys. I have explored 700 systems, just nothing further out than about 2000ly

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Oh and exclusive release ofEliteon the Xbox One apparently... I hope MS had to pay good money for that.
I'm not sure how long that exclusivity will last but it's not a real surprise, as all Frontier's games seem to end up on the Xbox as well as PC. I guess the PS4 has No Mans Sky coming so Sony won't be in any rush to get it.

They are being very careful with what they say about this and about how the Xbox / PC players will share the same galaxy. I expect that Xbox and PC players will not be able to see or talk to each other, effectively each being in a private group that excludes the other, but they will be flying around in the same space.

It's a new pile of money for Frontier, but I'm concerned they are overstretching their resources supporting two versions of the game, even though there will be a lot of commonality. It's not likeEliteon the PC is the finished product yet.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have a hard time with those calculations. FD are insane if the FDL costs more then 25 mil or so since its preformance vs price is a joke in that case. As you said, its based on the hull upgrades, I sincerely hope that is not the whole story.

Why is it so hard for them to come out with the bloody price on things when they put everything else out there
mad.png
FDL has a huge hardpoint. I don't see the problem. Given you don't need any size 6 or 7 modules on the FDL, it will be less than a combat fitted Python.

Price on the vulture is too high, though.

Does the Xbone even have a real joystick?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Gotvoice attack? worth the extra $8.
Heard about it, getting along fine for now, plus the wife sleeps in the next room in front of the TV when I play...

Her reaction to the teamspeak conversation with my WoW guild was funny though. "Are you talking to someone?" - "Yeah, my imaginary friends..." - "Oh my."

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Been playing this for an hour or two here and there for the past week or two. Have built up a small bank account of 100k creds. Still flying a completely stock ship. Don't like the Eagle at all, the Cobra Mk 3 is like 4 times what I have currently. Not sure what do or where to go from here, basically. My home galaxy is LHS 3447, I began there, been flying all around the area, but the small size of my whatever they call the hyperdrive or the thing that lets me move rapidly through space is sort of preventing me from moving too far beyond that starting point.

I guess I'm just being lazy and haven't looked at many starter guides. Actually its more about just wanting to learn the game naturally without having everything spoiled for me, but any advice from the people with more playtime about where to go from this point would be appreciated.

I'm enjoying the game, there's some design decisions I would do differently, but overall its a solid game if you're interested in space shootan and exploran and I guess space truckin', which is the thing I'm probably least interested in.

Mostly been playing solo. Made the majority of the money I have from stealing from Federation cruisers attacking bounties, and low risk/low reward short range hauling missions.