Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Thank you guys for the advice, Much appreciated. Hodj, one of the first things I did when I bought the game was set up VoiceAttack. It is indeed awesome with the game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
New minor patch reduces price of Fed Drop, FDL and Vulture, increases exploration, Combat bonds and bounty rewards.

That's might actually be a bigger change than 1.2 itself.
Does it populate space with things that are worth shooting at?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does it populate space with things that are worth shooting at?
I'm stuck in my Anaconda until I earn the money back to rebuy the outfittings of my combat clipper, so I can't test myself. I was interdicted by an Expert Adder with 8k bounty on it (no KWS), but I'm watching a stream now of someone who's headed for a RES with his FDL

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yeah I'm in RES in Chambo and there's a pretty good variety of shit to shoot at.

EDIT: Very good variety actually. And there's fed police anacondas helping me. :p

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
If I'm just shooting things, should I switch to a Viper over my Cobra?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Viper is the better combat ship. 3D shields are better than the Cobra's 4A as well, along with the smaller thrusters that completely negates the Cobra's 4A power plant 'advantage'

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Well that went fast!

5 mil for the Vulture
51 mil for the FdL
19 mil for the Dropship

Huge boost on bounties, its almost too easy now
smile.png

Im glad they realized that the pricing was insane, tho even a whiner like me is a bit suprised at the 5 mil for the Vulture, Im guessing "balancing" is comming in the near future.

Oh and they seem to have reset the Tanmark event, only 480 contributors right now, so if you want in on that you should probl go pew-pew a bit for good measure.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
If I'm just shooting things, should I switch to a Viper over my Cobra?
If you have about 10 mil you should go for the Vulture right now, it kills Anacondas in seconds if you go for the powerplant (no-shield Anacondas at least). Viper is obsolete now if you have some cash.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
On the other hand, you now make rediculous money at Nav points. My friend went from Cobra to decently geared Vulture(as in large weapons, A powerplant, A FSD, D+ rest) just last night from camping a single Nav point. Spent about 5-6 hours doing it and got about 10+ mil from it.

I didnt have that luck, made about 1 mil in an hour, got too many sidewinders and not enough large ships in mine :/

So yeah, if you have a Cobra, I would personaly spend 2 nights camping RES/NAV points and get a Vulture. The Viper dont do much that your Cobra cant and the Vulture just destroys the Viper in pew-pew.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
A few nights back guildmates in Mumble were talking about this game like they had a massive erection. Curious to know what the real deal is.

I played Traveller pen and paper 30+ years ago so the cargo transport and speculation aspect of this game sounds similar to that. Played Wing Commander, X-Wing and Tie fighter on the PC back in the 90s. Most recently played a ton of SWTOR Galactic Star Fighter PVP when it was first released. Which one of those games, if any, does the space combat resemble?

Is the space combat all PVP or are their some dogfights pitting you against a PVE AI script, or combo of both? What happens if your ship gets destroyed?

The wiki mentions bounty hunting and assassination as key aspects of gameplay. How does that work? Do you have a character you interact with on a planet surface or do you just track their ship down and either disable or destroy it?

Lastly, the wiki also said this was a MMO. Why isn't this thread in the main MMO forum?

TIA

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its not an MMO per se, and you can play it single player or multiplayer. In all cases you're logged into their servers, and multiplayer world impacts appear in single player games (like if a faction loses control of a system in the game, that is reflected in your single player mode) in multiplayer it puts people near you in your game, basically. So there's piracy and shit like that, if you so choose.

Combat is like you fully control the ship first person and dog fight with other shit.

Ship gets destroyed, there's insurance to replace it. I dunno how it all works with more advanced ships I am not experienced enough to speak on that.

You never leave the ship. You land at spaceports and can repair, upgrade, take missions, trade, etc. but all from the ship's interface.

Probably be best if you just youtube some videos on the game. Its just a space tradin and shootan simulator basically. I like it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Are 2 large weapons good? How much better are large weapons over medium weapons?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you do open play, it pretty much is an MMO. You will run into complete strangers, a lot of them, if you stick to the hotspots. You'll go to all types of combat areas and find players already there who don't want you to be there. Or offer to group up.

Are 2 large weapons good? How much better are large weapons over medium weapons?
It's pretty difficult to quantify, what also plays a major role is the superior power distributor that allows for longer firing of the weapons. But simply put, large weapons are like totally better than medium weapons.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Weapons get a damage penalty when hitting targets bigger than they are i.e. small weapons only do (iirc) 75% damage to medium and 50% to large ships. So large weapons, as well has having slightly higher damage levels, don't suffer that which is why the Vulture (2 large) outguns the Asp (2 medium 4 small) despite not really looking that way.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting into some conflict zone PVP now, managed to kill around 15 Fed CMDR in Lugh so far. Putting the mouse back into controls is a huge help when you chase down runners with a fixed weapon, as that allows for much greater precision than my joystick does. You definitely need both to get everything out of your ship.

Pretty good example of first trying pure joystick, then switching to mouse

Also select a subsystem that is central on the ship so you get the red square to show you where the target is. On Vipers it's the shield generator, on Cobras it's the power distributor.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Fucking around with a small black hole today I saw this:

skNCJ67.png

JZ7BiSR.png

dIVM4fc.png

First two pics are a matter stream from the star to the black hole. In motion it actually looked really cool. The third pic is a different view with the star behind me, and it looks like you can see the accretion disk of the black hole (looked better in motion again, will have to start frapsing all this)

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
A small tale from the boards warning of the dangers of the improved AI

OK, so my Vulture is nigh-on indestructible. Or so I thought wading into a high conflict zone.

Everything was going swimmingly - 20 minutes in, I had about 300k in bonds after picking exclusively on the bigger ships (Clippers, Asps, Pythons and Anacondas). Spotted a soloEliteAnaconda, waded in...got him down to about 60% hull, and suddenly my ship lights up and all I can hear are constant hits from other ships. Look at the radar, and I've got 8 or 9 ships flashing red and white at me. What the...???

Two wings of NPCs, all Pythons and Vipers, laying into me (along with the original Anaconda, who suddenly woke up and started fighting back) with rails, plasma accelerators, missiles and not a small number of lasers. My poor little Vulture didn't stand much of a chance. Still, in the spirit of at least trying to avoid an insurance claim, I put 4 pips into what was left of my shields, two into the engines and boosted away while retracting the hardpoints and hammering the SCB button.

SHIELDS OFFLINE
Of course, the Vulture isn't fast enough to escape Vipers, so while I'd left the Pythons behind I still had them hammering on my backside but the hull's holding them off.

1 new contact

Yeah, I should've paid more attention to the alerts. An Anaconda apparently joined the fray, jumping in just off my path about 3km out. Didn't notice until the volley of lasers, cannons and plasma balls hit. FSD only 50% charged, hull down to 30%, canopy cracked...right, forget the shields, they'll never recharge in time to save me (this particular decision was probably a bit tardy). Full power to the engines, and start dodging around for all I'm worth.

25%, getting nervous.
20%, I'm thinking I'm basically toast.
18%...

THRUSTERS OFFLINE

...and the inevitable...

EJECT EJECT
Banged up by NPCs. Wow.