Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I downloaded this on a whim last night, smoked a joint and spent quite a therapeutic few hours flying around doing data courier missions. However once I've tried all the different playstyles and ground out a few ships I'm pretty sure I'll have the same complaints as everyone else.

That being said this is probably the first space sim I've bought since playing frontier and frontier first encounters as a kid so the nostalgia factor probably helped.

Landing and docking isn't that hard though - I don't know if they've changed it but I remember a ton of people bitching about that the last time I looked into this game.
Nah it's not hard. Remember docking in a panther clipper in F:E2? Yeah I had the docking computer too :p

Here it's just a matter of knowing the size of your ship and where - relative to the edges - your canopy sits.

Planetary landings got the added spice of different gravity. Many a ship got turned into a crater because some poor explorer overlooked the high-g rating and tried to land with their underrated thrusters.

Yes it's bound to be boring. You fly a ship to make money to fly a bigger ship to make more money to fly a bigger+1 ship to make more+1 money. It's a true MMO in that regard.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Haha I've not tried landing on a planet yet, I'll probably be a crater first go around. With one particularly hairy early docking attempt I ended up flying through the hatch sideways and waited with bated breath to end up in a fiery ball but got away with it.

I'm extremely confused by the 'powerplay' thing, even after reading a couple of guides but I guess it's not something I'll need to worry about for a while yet.

Anyone know what the developing story stuff is like? Slow burning stuff like that always piqued my interest and I see thargoids have been reintroduced relatively recently.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I downloaded this on a whim last night, smoked a joint and spent quite a therapeutic few hours flying around doing data courier missions. However once I've tried all the different playstyles and ground out a few ships I'm pretty sure I'll have the same complaints as everyone else.

That being said this is probably the first space sim I've bought since playing frontier and frontier first encounters as a kid so the nostalgia factor probably helped.

Landing and docking isn't that hard though - I don't know if they've changed it but I remember a ton of people bitching about that the last time I looked into this game.
A ton of people are unbelievably retarded.. I'm not aware of any changes to make touching down any easier. Some people are probably too stupid to understand the assisting hologram.

I'm extremely confused by the 'powerplay' thing, even after reading a couple of guides but I guess it's not something I'll need to worry about for a while yet..

powerplay is pretty much dead content where you can grind some irrelevant equipment.

Developing story is imo with too little effect on the gameplay and they're taking it nice and sloooooowwwww with progress. I mean the thargoid thing is literally the first thing in three years that actually affected gameplay at all.

compared to ED, GRRM fires out the books like a machine gun.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is $13 bucks on Steam right now until April 2nd.

$31 for the deluxe edition with all expansion and season pass.

I'm gonna pick it up. Looks like it works on Ultra-Wide rez. :lumie:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
high entry barrier game with very little content

does look pretty though

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
high entry barrier game with very little content

does look pretty though

... and my first Steam refund ever lol.

I have the same issues with this as Eve Online. I want to like it, I can see why people like it, but do not have the time or patience for a simulator.

Gave it a try at least. ;)

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
if they added rewards for pvp and implemented a decent quest system with actual progression this would be a great game

its not that the grind is excessive, if you take the most profitable route you can probably go from the newbie ship to the very best ship in under 20 hours, its that there isn't anything to do after you get that ship

their forum has at least 3 years worth of threads complaining about this, yet devs keep adding irrelevant stuff

if they implemented a M&B model where you not only improve your own ship, but can build a fleet and own a base .. this would be an incredible game

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is $13 bucks on Steam right now until April 2nd.

$31 for the deluxe edition with all expansion and season pass.

I'm gonna pick it up. Looks like it works on Ultra-Wide rez. :lumie:

The all expansion pass so far has had exactly 0 value since they added it in December 2015.

They also charged like 150 for it.

• 1Like

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I downloaded this since it was free on the Epic store and I've been craving a space game. I really want to like this game, but it seems like they made everything as needlessly complicated and annoying as possible. I get that it's a sim type game and some of that is to be expected, but this just takes it to the next level. The interface is also total dogshit for a PC, I have no idea if it would be any better on a controller or what, but it is bordering on unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. I'm going to give it another go and see if I can get a handle on it, but maybe this is just not my style.

• 1Moron

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
There is nothing wrong with the mouse/kb controls.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I wouldn't say that. Roll being bound to the mouse X axis by default is bad, and is best bound to keys.

I changed some keys but its not like the controls are bad when that is done.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Same, I backed this back in the Kickstarter days since I loved the original Elite. But this is a bit too much "sim" and a bit too little "game" for my type of fun.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The issue is incompetent lead developers. Every major patch they introduced a new system, only to *never* touch that system again despite the massive flaws that were revealed by the players. Now the game is full of shitty, dead content no onet wants to play and everyone just wants more BGS because a better BGS would improve every other aspect of the game on its own, but they're barely touching that.

They're literally running the game like a mobile asset flip. Build something, release it, forget about it and move on to the next one.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Flying the ship was fine after changing the mouse x axis from roll to pitch or whatever, that's not what I'm saying is bad (although that being the default is incredibly dumb). The interface controls are bad, I have a mouse, why can't I navigate menus with the mouse instead of using 1 set of keys to scroll through tabs and another set of keys to scroll through selections? Why are there a billion different functions in your ship that do not even have a button mapped by default (I'll probably get the names wrong since I'm not playing, FSS or something, and others)? The scanners are not by default mapped to anything either. Despite working during the tutorial in a certain way, once you're free playing the controls are no longer mapped? Why is this the case? Hypothetically let's say there's 15 functions in the ship that need to be mapped, by default 7 of them are not mapped (again, hypothetical). I'm sure once you're seasoned and accustomed to the game it's no problem, but as a total newb it's ridiculous for a game to be like this

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yep, it's definitely not noob friendly, and requires setting things up to your tastes. It's very much a classic sim in that regard. The plus side of that is that it's much more capable a system once you get it dialed in.