Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cool that this is free on Epic launcher because if you scroll a page back it was my first Steam refund ever. A game that I want to support, in theory, but after an hour I was like "fuck this" and refunded it. Willing to give another chance though ...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Flying the ship was fine after changing the mouse x axis from roll to pitch or whatever, that's not what I'm saying is bad (although that being the default is incredibly dumb). The interface controls are bad, I have a mouse, why can't I navigate menus with the mouse instead of using 1 set of keys to scroll through tabs and another set of keys to scroll through selections? Why are there a billion different functions in your ship that do not even have a button mapped by default (I'll probably get the names wrong since I'm not playing, FSS or something, and others)? The scanners are not by default mapped to anything either. Despite working during the tutorial in a certain way, once you're free playing the controls are no longer mapped? Why is this the case? Hypothetically let's say there's 15 functions in the ship that need to be mapped, by default 7 of them are not mapped (again, hypothetical). I'm sure once you're seasoned and accustomed to the game it's no problem, but as a total newb it's ridiculous for a game to be like this

depends on what scanner you are talking about. Most scanners are actually mapped to a firegroup so your primary / secondary attack uses those. other scanners are passive. I can't think of one that needs its own button.

As for your inflight menus, those are designed to work for everyone, controller, HOTAS, VR and KBM players. Only one of those groups actually has a mouse though. Everyone has buttons. I'm more of a hotkey player myself, so I found the adjustment pretty easy. Friendship drive doesn't needs its own key, it's semiredundant as you can just use hyperjump without a target system to initiate regular supacrooz

The main issue with this game for me is that it's still fun to play with people, but there's nothing to do with people besides combat. So usually every time I played it with someone, we did a few sessions of bounty hunting, then they tried to do something different and we found out that you basically can't play stuff together, you can only play along each other. Anything other than combat was like that. So they quit shortly thereafter. Even hunting might get boring after a while because there's really not much variety in combat. Most loadouts are just so much worse than the one true way of lasers and MCs. So even if you enjoy the fighting aspect unreasonably much, it will eventually wear off. The game does not incentivize playing together, they even gave it a very stupid shot with multicrew (one of the features I was talking about, spent half a year developing, released it half-assed, never touched it again and now no one is using the feature at all. There is no content for coop play.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
New Odyssey expansion comes soon with being able to get out of your ship and run around bases, combat missions on planets in FPS Shooter mode, Social hubs, etc.

Looks pretty cool.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I decided to head back to the bubble for now, stopping at a few nebulae along the path and putting the Asp in front of things.
I dropped the game shortly after I wrote this. Haven't made it back to Deciat yet. Still on my way though, picked it back up and I'm only 147 jumps away now!

I think I'll try to change my route so I detour through uncharted terrain. Currently I seem to be on the beaten path, where everything has already been discovered.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So as you can see I was excited to try the expac, never got it after hearing all the horrid reviews and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better for performance.

Any word on improvements? Most recent steam reviews have it decimated and the developers issued a public apology.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I bought it but have yet to install it. Trying to get home and deliver my scan data before taking that step. Sounds nice tho, space legs.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I bought it but have yet to install it. Trying to get home and deliver my scan data before taking that step. Sounds nice tho, space legs.

Yeah that is what I was hoping for too and excited for. Unfortunately, everyone is panning the living shit out of it and was wondering if it got any better in the last 3 months. From recent reviews on Steam, it hasn't.

Let me know your thoughts when you play through it. I would be curious.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Downloading this after buying it in ... 2013 and never playing it. Anyone actively playing??

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How piloting a ship in the tutorial in ED feels after playing Chorus:

man-in-a-bathtub-boat-with-outboard-motor-ACJA5P.jpg

Found out there wasn't a pause feature even in the "solo" mode of ED, which pretty much rules it out for me and my dad-with-young-children-lifestyle. Maybe I'll check it out again in another nine years!!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
ED is a space flight sim, Chorus/Everspace are arcade space shooters.
ED puts the "flight" in space flight sim, with mechanics designed around what is possible with an Airbus Beluga in atmosphere.

1644099366225.png

but really I don't mind, I'm just upset there's no pause button for a solo game. The excuses people made for "why" are pretty funny though, and man are there a lot of them over the last ten years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So what is Odyssey, a dumpster fire that nobody plays? Should I just stick with ED:Horizons?

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I play on series X but have not gone in for a while. Odyssey was supposed to be awesome but sounds like it destroyed the game or something. Wonder if cross play exists. I doubt it. Would be fun to fly missions.