Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Pennilenko

Silver Knight of the Realm
I tried out some real bounty hunting like Quineloe. It didn't go as well, all three of the million + bounties I caught up to logged off before I could finish them.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I tried out some real bounty hunting like Quineloe. It didn't go as well, all three of the million + bounties I caught up to logged off before I could finish them.
Frontier are supposedly tracking those who persistently log off in combat, but unfortunately no actions have been taken against them yet.

Because we don?t have an all powerful server running the moment-to-moment game play simulation, there is no infallible arbiter to take control of a player?s ship when they ungracefully exit. So what we?re doing is logging telemetry that will help us detect when this exploit is explicitly being used.

Right now, all we?re doing (and have already started doing) is looking at and implementing methods of collecting and analysing data. At some point, however, we will start to take action against Commanders using this exploit.
?Combat Logging?: Update

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That's very cool Quin.

A solution I've always desired for PvP and logging out is that my character remains present when I exit, always. I just assume command of him when I log in. When I'm gone my character becomes another random citizen of the universe, but one that I've programmed to behave in a unique way. So every person who plays the game is populating the world with unique characters, and if they quit, their character(s) continue to interact with the world. Your guild and friends list would turn into hireable mercs when they're not around, wingmen or haulers or w/e else they make their characters available for. And a huge side benefit: no one logs out of unfavorable situations. The AI version of your character is far less capable of surviving a player interaction 1on1.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I am very interested in the space exploration side of this game. Has anyone compared it withSpace Engine - Home page?
There's a fiction book (Elite: Reclamation (Elite: Dangerous) eBook: Drew Wagar, Heather Murphy: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store) for which the author used Space Engine to create the Prism system, which Frontier then took the data from and plugged it into the ED stellar forge to recreate the same system in game for fans of his work.

Frontier are very much aware of SE, and yes, I used it to model my solar system and Frontier took all that orbital and environment data for the 'Stellar Forge'.
Cheers,
Drew.
There's a few threads on theEliteforums about SE but its more about comparing the look of it than any gameplay ideas.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I am very interested in the space exploration side of this game. Has anyone compared it withSpace Engine - Home page?
I don't think you will be disappointed, I purchasedelitefor the exploration side. I've visited more than 700 systems which is not many in the grand scheme of people who have done far more exploration than me. The "best" deep space exploration ship currently will run about 16.7 million with the modules you want and one insurance rebuy. It has a jump range of around 35 and the best sight seeing cockpit (almost all glass, more than 180 degrees of view). I've gone to numerous local stellar sights so far, in both a 13 and 17 light year capable ships. My networth is around 15 million - which is 7 from exploration and 8 from bounties. I have done virtually no trading. I have found 2 earthlike worlds, in all of my 700 systems so far - one ammonia world. Its really rich to go sight seeing - the sense of scale is awesome.

Earlier in the thread I recapped some of my exploration profit (its not the greatest per unit time, but it is awesome in fun). They recently added explored first by - if you head to some of the unknown reaches of space you will certainly be the first human player to scan many many bodies in the 400 billion star milky way. I have taken a lot of screenshots.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I don't think you will be disappointed, I purchasedelitefor the exploration side. I've visited more than 700 systems which is not many in the grand scheme of people who have done far more exploration than me. The "best" deep space exploration ship currently will run about 16.7 million with the modules you want and one insurance rebuy. It has a jump range of around 35 and the best sight seeing cockpit (almost all glass, more than 180 degrees of view). I've gone to numerous local stellar sights so far, in both a 13 and 17 light year capable ships. My networth is around 15 million - which is 7 from exploration and 8 from bounties. I have done virtually no trading. I have found 2 earthlike worlds, in all of my 700 systems so far - one ammonia world. Its really rich to go sight seeing - the sense of scale is awesome.

Earlier in the thread I recapped some of my exploration profit (its not the greatest per unit time, but it is awesome in fun). They recently added explored first by - if you head to some of the unknown reaches of space you will certainly be the first human player to scan many many bodies in the 400 billion star milky way. I have taken a lot of screenshots.
I'm 10k LY from the core of the galaxy right now. Exploration is for a certain breed of (patient) people. For most of the population it will look dull and boring, but i get my kick out of finding weird systems with multiple neutro stars and black holes, finding the most brilliant or hotest stars, or earth like worlds etc. I jumped to a trinary star system the other night and almost fried upon arrival, shit was tense.

Sightseing in this game is breathtaking, but again, it's not for everyone. I have no interest on trading, did my share of bounty hunting, and exploration is where it's at for me right now.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
From the forums...

Time to cross the galaxy: 5 weeks

65,000 LYs from home, on the fringe of intergalactc space...
As a follow-on to the above:

EliteDangerous - A Distant Rendezvous (43,000 LYs from home) - YouTube

So, about 9 weeks ago Erimus Kamzel set out to explore the far side of the galaxy on an epic journey that took him through the galactic core, past nebula and black holes (incl. Sagittarius-A) alike. He's documented his journey in an absolutely glorious series of YouTube videos entitled "Distant Suns".

On the way he twice came out of supercruise wedged between binary stars that caused heat damage, leaving his Asp currently at 25% hull and with a badly cracked windscreen. With no stations in that remote part of the galaxy and thus no opportunity to repair he's now been limping his way slowly back towards civilized space, trying to plot a path that will avoid any further encounters that would surely destroy his now paper thin ship, the Beagle 2.

Meanwhile another adventurer, R4nger0 (R4 to his friends) has been making a similar whisky fueled voyage in his Sidewinder (Sneaky Pete), why? because it's hard and FOR THE DAMN GLORY! as he would say in his daily "Crossing the galaxy in a Sidewinder" twitchstream:

Twitch

About 2 weeks ago it became apparent that these two, with some minor course alterations, could arrange a rendezvous. Unbelievably, this meeting finally took place around 4:00pm GMT yesterday. The two pilots, with so much to lose, were naturally cautious about getting too close to each other but ultimately the whole thing went off without a hitch.

The OP shows the video that Erimus made of this encounter.

R4's unexpurgated hour long twitchstream is available here:

Rendezvous with Erimus -Elite: Dangerous - YouTube
A Distant Rendezvous - 43,000ly From Sol [video]

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Can't wait to hit the core, trip back should be interesting. Must avoid binary and trinary systems if i can, i don't think my ship will be able to take it lol.

nuday

Golden Squire
Just made a long trip to Sol for no reason, apparently. They really need to fix the mission text that comes with that Sol permit.

Sumi_sl

shitlord
Those lengthy trip videos are amazing! I think this could finally give me a reason to upgrade my 2011 laptop.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Twitch

3:03 timestamp for first encounter, 3:12 for second

He even throws a bitch fit about being attacked as a top 5 bounty and later killed.

I don't even have to record my own shit to brag about player kills, these tools do it for me!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Twitch

3:03 timestamp for first encounter, 3:12 for second

He even throws a bitch fit about being attacked as a top 5 bounty and later killed.

I don't even have to record my own shit to brag about player kills, these tools do it for me!
"One of the biggest dick heads on the forum".

Aww, he knows our Quin so well! (Seriously though, that guy seems like a fucking douche. His logic is literally you shouldn't hunt pirates because they will hurt traders faster? lol, just more proof that 99% of wolves have no interest in fighting other wolves. My response to people like that is always "I'm not protecting the traders...I'm doing this because it's fun to kill you.")

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
he's 36 years old, long time unemployed "professional DJ" and has a girlfriend that buys his computer hardware for him.

And he willingly admits this on stream.

I also have no idea where he'd get the idea I'm contra-piracy on the forum. I've repeatedly stated their profits need to be higher.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
That was great to watch. I love the mentality that it's fine for him to disrupt someone's enjoyment of the game with whatever playstyle they choose (as long as they can't fight back of course) but people can't disrupt his.