Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I'm still struggling with how to make a decent amount of cash in this game. I have about 100k plus about a 100k ship, but I see you guys with several million and I just don't see a path to that.

Is it just grinding 20k bounties forever? Trading? What?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, grind up to a million then start hauling. Or shoot a LOT of ships at RES.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sexy. Still working on faction to get mine. Bastards fixed the low faction bug on it just before I had enough cash to buy it.
I'd like to know why it's a bug. Stuff like that doesn't creep into code, unless they were sloppy and did bad code.

I'm still struggling with how to make a decent amount of cash in this game. I have about 100k plus about a 100k ship, but I see you guys with several million and I just don't see a path to that.

well, grinding 20k bounties seems to be a bit early to call grinding since you bagged at most 10 of these so far
wink.png

I like salvage missions. What's your cargo hold? Adder might be really good for that.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Bug is used too often. A lot of them are just oversights. And all games are full of "bad code" depending on your perspective. They'll probably even look back on their release in a few years and wonder why they didn't write some things very differently.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.

Find a traderoute that gives you 1000+cr per ton. Load up that TV series you always wanted to see but had no time to, watch said TV series while going from A-B then B-A hour after hour until you can afford a bigger trade ship. Repeat until you have a Type 7, then consider if you want to go for a T-9, Clipper or Python. Figure out how much money is needed, continue watching TV series until amount is reached.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bug is used too often. A lot of them are just oversights. And all games are full of "bad code" depending on your perspective. They'll probably even look back on their release in a few years and wonder why they didn't write some things very differently.
If the rank requirement for the Clipper should be Baron and nothing else, it's bad code to make the check anything other than "if rank < 8" by any definition. If the requirement is some complex formula instead of that, that's just really shitty code planning on their part.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord

The money rolls in faster once you can afford a Cobra, then it takes another jump once you can afford a T6 trader. I actually got to a Cobra just using an Eagle - bounty hunting (a Kill Warrant Scanner will pay for itself quickly), mission running and basic exploration, and kept moving about the galaxy to keep things interesting. Plus the Eagle is the most fun to fly even after you find in combat that it's made out of bits of string and paper.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I'd like to know why it's a bug. Stuff like that doesn't creep into code, unless they were sloppy and did bad code.
As beta went on, I got the impression that it was a relatively small development team for a game of this size and they were dealing with game-breaking issues right up to the week before launch (IIRC they were even releasing patches on Sundays trying to get the network code working). They also seemed to lack the support staff to deal with the number of players they got, which wasn't helped when they had to deal with the fallout from cutting single player offline mode from the release.

So, I think it's a case of an overstretched programming team and sloppy coding as a result. One of the devs posted yesterday how the C class thrusters on one of the ships were wrong because he had copy-pasted the E class values and forgotten to change them. Anyone who's written code will have done something similar to that when you get distracted / reassigned halfway through a task. On the plus side they are actively recruiting more developers for the game post-release, which makes a change from the usual letting-people-go-now-it's-out-the-door.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I really wanted to like this game but after a series of financial disasters (fines, deaths, lost cargo, lost carto info) I'm putting it on hold. I think it is a great platform for a space sim, but the moment you try and veer off the path of trade route x = money you can just get so severely smacked it isn't funny. You basically have to fund your real adventures with a bunch of money grinding - which, while realistic, is just not how I want to spend my time. I think they could have lessened the evils in a bunch of simple ways and encouraged people to do more interesting things.

Maybe it will turn around if they add value to non-trading activities and facilitate those in some way (e.g. why the fuck can't I tell the distance between two systems X and Y if I'm not in either X or Y. As far as I can tell, the only way to see if you are far enough away to sell carto data is to make some weird estimate and then land at a station and try and sell the data. Fuck me how many times I've been like 18.9 LY away or something silly. I imagine there is some app or website somewhere that would tell me, but its silly that it isn't in the game. Same wthing with not being able to quickly identify systems you've been to recently, or favorite systems - err, was I just in K4555 BV-HG 1234 or K4555 BJ-GH 1234)? Ah fuck me.

Its a great foundation but lacking much in the way of exciting, seamless things to do unless you are prepared to grind the ever-loving fuck out of trading. I'd still give it an 8/10 but my ability to play it never got past 6
smile.png

Good luck space-farers, see you after a few patches I hope!

Itzena_sl

shitlord
If the rank requirement for the Clipper should be Baron and nothing else, it's bad code to make the check anything other than "if rank < 8" by any definition. If the requirement is some complex formula instead of that, that's just really shitty code planning on their part.
It's baron with no Empire faction. If you've got rep, the required rank is lower. Not a bug, just you not understanding the game.

Also: weapons vs shields (stolen from elsewhere) -

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure Hors is a handmade system, so that's not a randomly generated name.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Haha, thought he was referring to the Candy Cavern in Colon.

Got a HOTAS X today. Now I just need a second pad with more keys on it for all the buttons it is missing so I don't have to reach for the keyboard as often.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Its a great foundation but lacking much in the way of exciting, seamless things to do unless you are prepared to grind the ever-loving fuck out of trading. I'd still give it an 8/10 but my ability to play it never got past 6
smile.png

Good luck space-farers, see you after a few patches I hope!
This is where I'm at, too. There's the core of an AMAZING game here but it's just not there yet. So I will check patch notes occasionally and wait for that to come to fruition.