Elvis (2022)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Elvis (2022)

Tagline: The Man. The Legend. The King of Rock & Roll.

Genre: Drama, Music, History

Director: Baz Luhrmann

Cast: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks, Olivia DeJonge, Dacre Montgomery, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Richard Roxburgh, Helen Thomson, Yola, David Wenham, Luke Bracey, Alex Radu, Alton Mason, Xavier Samuel, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Natasha Bassett, Leon Ford, Kate Mulvany, Gareth Davies, Charles Grounds, Josh McConville, Adam Dunn, Gary Clark Jr., Shonka Dukureh

Release: 2022-06-22

Runtime: 157

Plot: The life story of Elvis Presley as seen through the complicated relationship with his enigmatic manager, Colonel Tom Parker.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Honestly I only made it a little past an hour and shut it off. I liked it at first but lost interest almost immediately.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Honestly I only made it a little past an hour and shut it off. I liked it at first but lost interest almost immediately.

To be fair it started getting less interesting almost immediately after I made that post. It time jumps a lot also. I still think it is worth a watch

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is he black in this version?
1660135631054.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This is probably worth watching just for creepy Tom Hanks. It's less of a musical than I was expecting

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The kid who played Elvis did a good job, the problem is the Elvis story isnt that interesting and they really glossed over most of his career. Col. Parker was a massive scumbag and they went really easy on him. Tom Hanks is on the downhill slide, he kinds sucks now. It was all watered down cliff notes. Like most things from Hollywood these days it seems like the writers / directors are too hipster cool and despise the subject they are telling the story of, whoever wrote / directed this wasnt a huge Elvis fan and it shows.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
^
I disagree a bit. It's a Baz Luhrmann pic, so it has his sort of frenetic style to it, although toned down from the days of Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet. It's a solid film that gives you new respect/empathy for Elvis. I have no idea if they went easy on Col. Parker, though he was obviously the villain/antagonist and it didn't leave you questioning that.

I do agree that they sped past numerous parts of his career, i.e. the movies, but at almost 3 hours, it was probably for the best.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
. Col. Parker was a massive scumbag and they went really easy on him.

The film is as much about him as it is Elvis. The narrative is clearly that he exploited Elvis and trapped him. The narrator being Parker perhaps gives him a chance to defend himself but he's clearly the villain of the piece

• 3Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The film is as much about him as it is Elvis. The narrative is clearly that he exploited Elvis and trapped him. The narrator being Parker perhaps gives him a chance to defend himself but he's clearly the villain of the piece

It was barely about either one of them. It was an extremely shallow dive into both their lives. It was an outline, not a story.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
My understanding of Elvis:

- Very good singer
- Didn't write any of his music
- Careeer just stalled and he became a Vegas fatty until he died
- Kind of white trash

lurker

Vyemm Raider
My understanding of Elvis:

- Very good singer
- Didn't write any of his music
- Careeer just stalled and he became a Vegas fatty until he died
- Kind of white trash
This is the "truth" for people my age and younger. If I was 10 years older, I would understand why Elvis was such a big deal but I grew up in the 60s and Elvis was a 50s phenom.

I enjoyed the movie. I like Tom Hanks and he played Parker with just enough creepiness and the actor that played Elvis did a great job.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database