Elysium

iannis

Musty Nester
This movie was just Hollywood trying to make a movie about the bullshit Mexican border.
With super good CGI.

Without the CGI District 9 would have been just another "uhh..." foreign film. Same thing here pretty much.

It's not that I think his social commentary points are bad. It's that I think he's very bad at making them. But he's really good with CGI.

They're really just not very good as stories. Over reliance on the social justice angle to cover what are mostly unintelligible flaws in structure. It's been said before in this thread and I think I agree. This is the most cynical man working in film. I can't help but feel this is what you get when you mash together Michael Moore and Michael Bay.

Edit: To be more charitable, both of these movies feel a lot like those american late 50's sci-fi movies with the social message. The ones with the voice over at the end that go, "And so we shall prosper in the face of nuclear annhilation." or "And so it is that the worst enemy of Man is Man himself". But I don't think he's a full bore Tarrantino, "Fuck what you like. You're not the boss of me. I'm the one making this movie" cinema-nerd. I think he's just making money off the people who really probably DID think that these were deep stories with a deep humanist message.

Szlia

I did not expect much and still was disappointed! Please don't let this guy write a script by himself ever again. Or direct an action scene for that matter. Nice production design though.

Goonsquad Officer
I really enjoyed it as a neat scifi setting.

The realist in me thought that it was retarded that the WHOLE EARTH got poor and trashy because some one built a gated community in space. surely in that world at least some warlord would have risen and built petty fiefdoms all over. Maybe only the western US was a shit hole, and other parts of the world were in various states of scifi-wacky, but i'd thought the movie referenced a whole world of slums. those wealthy people must have been really important to have collapsed the earth by virtue of moving to space.

why don' the earthlings farm? instead of building corrugated tin houses or working in radioactive robot factories?

I was also curius about the magic flesh replication heal machines in that....how much power did they use? did they run on scifi mguffins? if they solved endless energy and matter than the guys living up in the station really were dicks. otherwise the machines run on finite resources and the folks on the earth will reach peak heal-machine!! I mean they could have just installed one down in the city and given everyone in the city one five minute ride every 5 years and the shit heads would quit breaking their landscaping.

the 'borders are wrong' thing was very ham fisted if that was their angle. again, due to the presumption that everyone in space are just being dicks because they want to be dicks. it doesn't really fit a parallel in the real world where goods and services (and jobs) take limited numbers of things available.

I loved all the wacky weapons, and I liked the characters. the setting angle was neat with people busting in there just to TRY to get to a magic heal machine because they'll just get sent home with a clean slate. interesting concept for setting. makes me think of full-heal stations in a video game and how they would tear up 'the real world'
smile.png

also the inside of the station looked JUST like the presidium on the citadel in mass effect.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You seemed to have missed the line about "massive overpopulation" and extrapolated from there the problems it can (and will) cause. Plus, the world didn't get fucked up because they built Elysium. It went the other way around.

And it wasn't that the rich people were dicks. People were dicks all over. It's just that compassionate rich people have the power to change things and help a lot of people, wheras a selfless poor person can't do much of anything.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I like how the movie was making a social statement. For example, Mexicans are breeding too much. They should stop fucking.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
finally saw it today.it was good but i think the final part was rushed.
6/10

oh and fuck shaky cam ffs

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think this movie would be called a hot mess. lots of awesome with an utterly ridiculous premise that lead to a ridiculous ending. i literally facepalmed when the space healing ships all launched soon as elyssium rebooted. so what they had these things ready to go all along and yet they were just being dicks, because? why would rich white people build a tiny ass space station when there is a whole fucking planet they could roam around in? i understand there is shit wrong with the planet but 1%ers like to go on vacations and drive fast cars and all that shit. i imagine earthbound biodomes would be more popular and the jetsetters could travel from all the different vacation biodomes around the planet so they could spend their money on hookers and blow. there were many things wrong with this movie. one of which, if the future mexicans were trying so hard to reach elyssium for Obamacare, then wouldnt it have been more economical to launch those space healers to earth as a way of tossing them a bone so they would stop trying to get to space beverly hills?

this movie had so much promise had all good actors and great action scenes, but the story and ending torpedoed the whole fucking thing

Goonsquad Officer
You seemed to have missed the line about "massive overpopulation"
I just think some one would have lassoed that shit down with some good old fashioned ethnic clensing, war, or ye olde comunist uprising style food redistribution leading to widespread ultra famine.

I just never buy that 7+x (x being how futurescifi the setting is) billion people won't develop their own leaders with their own wacky plans to change the world to be more comfortable. there are plenty of cultures on earth that learned, on their own, to severely limit their own population growth lest they run out of space to live in. Instead the movie hamfistedly said that all 7+x billion, instead, opted to build shanty towns and shake their fist at the sky people who have magic healing sun-tan beds.

I just think the writers could have said "elysium is built over the ruins of western united states. they shit on the place and pay off / warfare anyone who fucks with their despotism of the region' rather than saying the poor huddled masses of common man just can't do anything once the leadership left. the helpless retards just keep fucking and building shanties.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the movie's message either really racist and/or really stupid.

white people are magical people with superior tech and are the only ones capable of leading people. it even took a white matt damon to lead the way in changing elysium.
brown people are diseased, weak willed felons and their only goal in life is to take what white people have.

as for kruger, im guessing the magic heal machine isnt meant to resurrect the dead so when he died the first time he was a normal human then the machine scrambled his brains and his missing pieces were replaced with metal then later when he got rezzed again he went full on crazy. thats why they dont rez citizens if they die because who wants a batshit leader running the station.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
The way I saw it, I saw three themes clashing against another.

1. One's desire to live and survive (Matt).

2. Defense of her kind and group (sexy evil bitch.)

3. Chaos (Kruger)

Everybody reaching out for control.

Neat.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, this was alright. I kept wondering where the fuck are the droids when the three assholes were running rampant at the HQ. Also, was Elysium run by some sort of A.I.? OMG everyone is now a citizen so send help to Earth ASAP.

Oh, and Jodie Foster's calves.

niss_sl

shitlord
I wasn't expecting much about this and didn't know much of the story other than the trailer and it really sucked.

It has an amazing setting and premise, but the story and the plot is a giant epic fail.