Empire Online: 100 Greatest Video Games of all time

Szlia

The topic is no longer about how shitty the list is, but about how many games you played on it and how many you finished.

Played: 55

Finished: 31 (much to my surprise, I thought it would be a lot less)

I counted 'finished' for things like WoW, Counter Strike or Tetris if you basically played it a lot. (technically some versions of Tetris have an ending too).

The Master

Bronze Squire
Played: 50. Finished all of them. Why is Homeworld on there? Why are the Zeldas in the wrong order? Grim Fandango was a really entertaining game, but top 100?

Do not understand lists like this.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Homeworld was fucking amazing. I've never played a game before or since that gave me chills like that one did. It definitely deserves a place in the top 100 games of all time.

To me theres a lot of reasons to consider games best. Sometimes games are amazing just because they create or define genres, sometimes they're good because the story is amazing, and sometimes they are good just because they are mechanically engaging. It's really hard to compare games that are good for one reason against those which are good for others, and some are so objective, such as rating games by story. I thought homeworld's story and world were utterly enthralling, but I can understand that there are people out there who likely hate it.

FF tactics for example is a game that mechanically is passable, but god I got into that story so hard. Easily my favorite world of all the final fantasy games by a mile. I don't think any of their top 30 games would make my top 10 list, tbh.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
finished 28 out of 40 games played. Never been a big console player, I dont even recognize 20 titles on that list

and no Wing Commander on that list is a disgrace. Even a fucking 15 year old should know of this now with Roberts doing Star Citizen....

and the #1 is a fucking joke. TLOU is not even a real game, it's a movie with some gameplay from the 90s (Shitty stealth) thrown in, and you play a real shitbag in it.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
FF7, Oblivion, FO3, AC2, BSI, KH, MGS2, Heavy rain, just from a glance makes me laugh at this list....and sadden that TLOU is #1

Edit-

Played: 79

Finished: 48

Caliane

Super metroid 94.
hahahhahahhahahahahhahahaa.

Dragon age
redface.png
rigins above it.. hahahahahah
That FF7. hahaha holy shit.

This list is hilarious.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Homeworld was fucking amazing. I've never played a game before or since that gave me chills like that one did. It definitely deserves a place in the top 100 games of all time.

To me theres a lot of reasons to consider games best. Sometimes games are amazing just because they create or define genres, sometimes they're good because the story is amazing, and sometimes they are good just because they are mechanically engaging. It's really hard to compare games that are good for one reason against those which are good for others, and some are so objective, such as rating games by story. I thought homeworld's story and world were utterly enthralling, but I can understand that there are people out there who likely hate it.

FF tactics for example is a game that mechanically is passable, but god I got into that story so hard. Easily my favorite world of all the final fantasy games by a mile. I don't think any of their top 30 games would make my top 10 list, tbh.
Homeworld was novel, sure, but it had no balance to the multiplayer and the campaign secretly scaled to be harder (added more ships to each mission) if you had more than a certain number of ships. Plus if you were really bad, it could become unwinnable at certain points which forced you to restart at an earlier level. And all this information was hidden from you, you had no way of knowing that because you screwed up three levels earlier you now couldn't win. It wasn't a well designed game.

Homeworld:Cataclysm is a great game that solved most of these issues. Though the multiplayer was still ridiculously unbalanced.

EDIT: To address the overall a point a great game that makes a list like this should be tops in at least one category and not fail any of them. Gameplay, story, controls, content, art, interface, aesthetic, etc. Homeworld probably has the best controls for a fully navigable 3D RTS environment so it is tops in a category, but that it failed others hurts it. It did it first so you have to question if it gets points for that, but Cataclysm had the same controls and did not have the same design failures in the campaign. It makes sense that Cataclysm is actually a better game, they had a chance to learn from their mistakes.

Raign

Golden Squire
I can only assume that the person who made that list has only played the 100 games on it in their life and mostly breaths through their mouth.

That said, played 52, and 'beat' most of those if you assume you can beat something that was mostly played for multiplayer.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Played 85, finished 51.

Call of Juarez above Planescape: Torment...I have no words.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It makes sense that Cataclysm is actually a better game, they had a chance to learn from their mistakes.
Cataclysm was a great game. It certainly was better than homeworld from a -mechanics- stand point, but I truly enjoyed the way homeworld brought me into their world and kept me there. To me, the story pushed it to being the better game overall.

That said, you're right that the multiplayer was lacking in both. I think Cataclysm did multiplayer much better, with the asymmetrical combat that was more balanced (Though certainly still lacking). There are games which were awful int he single player, but are defined by their multiplayer as a contrast. Nox was an absolutely brilliant game. It's single player campaign was total balls, but man was the multiplayer incredible.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Takes shitty people to make a shitty list. Dont know why we would even discuss that crap as long as this thread isnt in its correct place... the shaw.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lists like this are indeed stupid.

If there was a serious ranking it would need to be broke down in to genre, top 10 in each. Top 3 in each can be voted on for best overall game.

You cant stack The Last of Us up against Deus Ex. Deus Ex was far more progressive for its era then The Last of Us was for it's own etc etc
For some you may even go by sub genre. Is it really a fair to compare chrono Trigger to planetscape or BG2? Zelda-ocarina is another great game but not sure what genre to put it in.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I honestly barely glanced at the list before I commented on how stupid it was, they always are. However since we are still talking about it I think it's funny that no one has brought up Shenmue at #7. This is a statement beyond bad taste or incorrect ordering the fact that someone would put that there blows my mind.

Heckler_sl

shitlord
Why are people acting as if this is some attempt at a definitive list of the 100 greatest games of all time? It's the 100 greatest games according to the readers of Empire Magazine who voted on this poll. Just like every such list is the x amount of games that are considered the greatest of all time according to the opinion of some person or some group of people. There is not such thing as a "best game of all time" to begin with, everything is up to subjectivity. So the only thing you can really argue against lists like these are that they shouldn't be ordered lists to begin with, but even then, the order of the list is clearly simply the amount of votes each item received.

Also, it takes a special type of idiot to attempt to argue someone's opinion is wrong instead of simply different from his/her own. TLOU for me, personally, is definitely in the pantheon of "best games of all time" along with things like FF7, WoW, RDR, HL2... (I wouldn't be able to rank them in relation to each other, seeing as I loved them all for different reasons) so I don't have difficulty believing that this recent masterpiece was on a lot of the mainstreams mind to the point where it received the most votes which resulted in it getting first place. That doesn't mean that you now have to share that opinion as well.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I honestly barely glanced at the list before I commented on how stupid it was, they always are. However since we are still talking about it I think it's funny that no one has brought up Shenmue at #7. This is a statement beyond bad taste or incorrect ordering the fact that someone would put that there blows my mind.
It is a travesty. Shenmue should obviously be #1

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
never even heard of The Last of Us

is it really that good?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Homeworld was novel, sure, but it had no balance to the multiplayer and the campaign secretly scaled to be harder (added more ships to each mission) if you had more than a certain number of ships. Plus if you were really bad, it could become unwinnable at certain points which forced you to restart at an earlier level. And all this information was hidden from you, you had no way of knowing that because you screwed up three levels earlier you now couldn't win. It wasn't a well designed game.
That's a religious opinion. unwinnable game states are perceived by some people to be good. I never had an issue with having to start over at Homeworld.

The secret scaling also wasn't that big a deal, fighting the basic enemy with almost no ships was still harder than fighting the doubleplus buffed enemy with a maxed fleet of destroyers and battlecruisers.