Empire Online: 100 Greatest Video Games of all time

The Master

Bronze Squire
Man I see people fail at EQ daily, and I'm playing classic in 2014.

Should I tell them all to uninstall?
MMOs are different from single player games, news at 11.

Fun fact: In Homeworld 2 they actually did scale the difficulty down if you jumped in without enough ships because of how many people complained about getting stuck in Homeworld. But in Homeworld 2 you could retire your ships for near full value and take the resources forward with you, so at the end of every mission you could retire your whole fleet and just rebuild it next mission and the level would e as difficult as if you'd jumped in with nothing but your Mothership. Too far in the other direction.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
We're not talking about being stuck here on melee island, because for some reason LucasArts gave Guybrush the ability to destroy items.
Yeah, I remember a King's Quest game where you could proceed through the whole game completely unaware of the fact that you failed to get an item earlier on that you needed to complete it. That was shitty design.

velk

Trakanon Raider
And when you reload your save, it'll happen again. And again. And again. If it is POSSIBLE to be unable to start a level and then not be able to beat it, that is poor design. I'd rather a have a bug that was like that, at least a bug is clear error and not a retarded decision.
Yeah, but when does it change from harder to win the level to impossible to win ? Surely that's heavily dependent on how skilled you are.

I think, from what you are saying, that what you mean is that it's bad design to compound failure, so each time you do badly it makes it harder in future, which makes it more likely you'll do badly, etc.

I'd agree with that in general, making the game harder if you suck is poor design.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Yeah, but when does it change from harder to win the level to impossible to win ? Surely that's heavily dependent on how skilled you are.

I think, from what you are saying, that what you mean is that it's bad design to compound failure, so each time you do badly it makes it harder in future, which makes it more likely you'll do badly, etc.

I'd agree with that in general, making the game harder if you suck is poor design.
There are points in the game where it can literally be impossible, regardless of skill. But yeah, the game isn't exactly picnic at any point if you actually run into this issue because of a general low skill level.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MMOs are different from single player games, news at 11.

Fun fact: In Homeworld 2 they actually did scale the difficulty down if you jumped in without enough ships because of how many people complained about getting stuck in Homeworld. But in Homeworld 2 you could retire your ships for near full value and take the resources forward with you, so at the end of every mission you could retire your whole fleet and just rebuild it next mission and the level would e as difficult as if you'd jumped in with nothing but your Mothership. Too far in the other direction.
That's basically cheating, so if people want to do beat the game's mechanics instead of the game itself, just let them.

The Master

Bronze Squire
That's basically cheating, so if people want to do beat the game's mechanics instead of the game itself, just let them.
Homeworld 2 cheats. Every level whatever you jump in with it builds a composition specifically to counter it, as if the enemy had exact foreknowledge of your fleet at all times. Game was just really poorly designed. And the UI was a nightmare, especially compared to how good Cataclysm was. Cataclysm just had a difficult setting and really hard decreased your ships hp and damage, increased enemy ships hp and damage. That made the game much harder. Easy. Huge step backward in a lot of ways to Homeworld 2. But it gives you some idea of how prevalent the complaint was.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
BNOeRjp.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I couldn't even get through all of ME2 and I really enjoyed ME1. ME2 just seemed so repetitive.