Employment background checks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Anyone familiar with how they work, specifically in relation to open charges from a long time ago? I have a violation of probation/absconding from 10 years ago, was curious if it had been long enough that it probably wouldn't hit on a general background check a job might perform or not (since they usually ask for 7 years or maybe 10 years for felonies).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just run your own and find out. They're like $20 to run one on intellius.com and similar sites (which is what HR typically uses)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not all background checks are created equal either. That is a marketplace that has grown a lot post .com era.

I maintain a subscription to InfoTracer for personal reasons to run license plates sometimes and occasionally to reverse lookup a cellphone number to find out a name and where its from. What I learned was the DBs are spotty depending on the state. I've never used it for criminal records or court records. Some states stopped sharing dates of birth and now consider DOBs unacceptable information to give out to a third party so it will have a double zero on the day. Probably not the best service. Lot of quirks and holes like that. There's a hire agent button for extra money. I've never done that but I'd assume its a private investigator who will put labor in and make phone calls.

You need an employer experienced in background checking to help you out here.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My biggest customer required background checks to get a badge for on site work for workers, so pretty small margin at the company. I really don't know what they were looking for or at. One guy I hired in the shop I sent there and they had an office you gave them all the info, took a photo and such. They called me a few days later and said guy had a active warrant out for his arrest and the badge denied. End of the conversation. They didn't get into what it was for and such. I told the guy he had issues with his background check (didn't mention the warrant) and he needed to get it straightened out.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I had a company go back 15 years on me, looking for fraud or violent crimes.

Convictions should be what comes up on that background check, but I had an arrest for AB on a cop that was dismissed come up. BUT the arrest was there...so who the fuck knows.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah it's an active warrant on me for absconding (cause they wouldn't let me just serve my 10 days instead of probation and all the other crap they wanted me to do) so i'm assuming it would flag on any sort of background check even if it's just a basic corporate one.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah that shit is going to haunt you in many ways until you take care of it

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah it's an active warrant on me for absconding (cause they wouldn't let me just serve my 10 days instead of probation and all the other crap they wanted me to do) so i'm assuming it would flag on any sort of background check even if it's just a basic corporate one.

Yes, it will flag on a background check.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I just had to take an actual Polygraph test for a job. That shit is intense. Now that that is out of the way I just have to wait on the normal background investigation.

Vinen

God is dead
Fuck working for a company that requires a polygraph. Sounds like a shitty Gov/Contractor related job.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It's Sheriffs department for a State Gov. Not even an Officer, just a regular IT position but they require it for everyone so I got the honor of getting strapped up.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since when did it become acceptable for a Poly outside of special access programs in the intelligence communities? Who the fuck puts up with that in the civilian world for a mundane job? I'd tell them to go fuck themselves. At least the gov work pays exceptionally well to deal with that crap.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Dude, you're a fugitive?!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yep, I tried for a few months to just serve the 10 days that I had suspended for probation/drug rehab/etc. but my PO dicked me around for one month then the next month told me i'd have a new PO the month after and to talk to him about it and I left the state before then. This was like month 9 and 10 of the 1year probation but I failed every drug test and wasn't doing the rehab program either, they just refused to violate me or anything. Probably because if I just served my 10 days they wouldn't be getting their ridiculous amounts of money and funding the drug rehab program that the individual had to pay for (and also pay for your own bi-monthly drug tests).

They don't extradite me or anything so it literally just stops me from passing background checks and anytime I interact with police I have to wait around for 15-30 minutes while they check if they want to hold/extradite me. I don't make enough money to just stop working and go to NC for however long to take care of it so probably gonna be stuck with it forever.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'd call around to find a lawyer willing to help you with it for cheap. you really don't want this hanging over your head for the rest of your life.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
i'd call around to find a lawyer willing to help you with it for cheap. you really don't want this hanging over your head for the rest of your life.

Maybe he really likes having no possible career? He's our special meth flavored Dreamer.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users