Empyrion - Galactic Survival

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

This one is nice because it has planet stuff and space stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
As I understand it, Empyrion seems overall the best of those three but I haven't personally played the other 2. It's still in EA but playing it now vs. playing it when I bought it almost 2 years ago it's a LOT more interesting now, has a little bit of legs to it, but it's also very Minecrafty.

You can indeed fly a ship from surface to space to asteroids / moon / warp to another planet but there's not endless systems or anything yet, there's a little bit of RNG in planet generation on new games. If you don't enjoy creating your own ships you can gather the resources and pop out prefabricated blueprints instead. I definitely think it's better co-op but single player can be fun.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Horribly murderously addicted to this.

Game has some great sunsets / rises:
20180714122159_1.jpg

A friend's carrier parked next to a space hab I am working on. Getting a full MW out of the solar because there's no pesky weather in the way.
20180715185326_1.jpg

The gathering reminds me of starwars galaxies a bit. You can place down automated harvesters on deposits of minerals. Unlike SWG though you can actually dig down into the ground by hand and get the stuff. If you do it that way it is gone seemingly forever. The harvesters seem to churn it out without reducing the deposit. Not sure if that is intended or just a bug.

Like most survival games, I think the beginning is the most fun. I like the early struggles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

The harvesters not depleting the spot has been in place for a long time...kind of makes sense, though. You can either get instant resources, but long term hurt yourself or you can get better long term resources, but it takes a lot more time.

I haven't played this in a long time. Is that "you can only spawn capital ships on a base" still a thing? I can -maybe- understand that on a planet, but it makes 0 sense if you go to space.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I haven't made one yet, but I think you just create a starter block and drop it on the ground and start adding blocks to it.

Cybsled

You can spawn prefab structures so long as you supply enough materials into the template. You can download templates from Steam workshop. People have made all sorts of shit, ranging from original designs to game/movie ships or bases.

It is actually a good way to help survive. Usually when I went to explore a planet I never went to before, I usually made sure I had a ready made ship in my templates so I could spawn an escape craft if needed.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
For my space base I went into the creative mode in single player and built the basic structure and exported the blueprint. Took 7.5 hours to make in game with the factory. The block fill, copy & paste and mirroring stuff is handy.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea I made the structure of it in creative mode and factoried it, then filled in all the bits and cut a hangar in regular mode. It looked a lot better on the previous patch. They seem to have disabled shadows from lights except for suns.

I've been working on a huge ship inspired by the silver wings of morning from house of suns. Just the shape though, the size is a bit much for a game.

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The silverwings ship I had to abandon. I just couldn't get a very wingy shape out of blocks.

I ended up with a goofy sort of destroyer meets fishing boat kind of thing.
20180804062447_1.jpg

It still needs a ton of work, I spent several very long days on the inside, but I made a dumb mistake with the engines. The really huge ones look awesome and I sort of built around them on the inside, but the heat can't be walled off. It has to sort of be a wall + 1, so all the innards kept getting scrapped and redone.
20180802064824_1.jpg

I've kept it mostly open inside so you can see into everything. I want to do quarters and medical stuff in the wings but I haven't got to it yet.

Other than building, I had some crazy adventures doing a sort of self imposed ironman mode. We have this bot installed that can do some admin commands that help with stuff like disconnects. Sometimes you'll log back in and your ship has flown on without you etc, anyway it has a full reset that starts you over.

I was out checking a mine at night in heavy rain and just couldn't see a pack of rocket launcher aliens, so after that I restarted on an airless world. Just getting enough air to breathe was a struggle, and it got crazy hot during the day. I managed to get the stuff for a simple ship, flew up to the moon and picked up pentax and cobalt, then made a warp capable ship and hopped over a world to get sathium / neo.

I landed at a trader woohoo shopping! And while I was shopping a pack of plasma drones reduced my ship on the landing pad outside to rubble haha. So I was stranded. All the deposits were guarded so I had to dig these crazy long tunnels to get to the ore. It was an adventure.

I eventually made it out on a crappy cv I named the struggle bus. Basically a warp drive strapped to a chair.

One crazy thing that happened during all that: I was cruising along on a bike and landed in a pond over a blind crest and it threw me off the bike. That happens alot and there's usually no dramas. However the game has the old uncapped delta time problem where they do discreet frametime driven physics and movement and even the mouse turning. So if you get a long frame it will spin you like old everquest.

I think I spiked when I got off the bike so the impulse I received threw me into orbit.
20180803063437_1.jpg

Luckily I landed in that pond but the cold nearly got me.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Helluva view from the new house I built:
20200618141848_1.jpg

It is on a small temperate moon orbiting a gas giant
20200618141852_1.jpg

I think it is the coolest place I've ever built.
20200618141857_1.jpg

You aren't just stuck with one star system now. There's an actual galaxy to explore. Not sure how big it is yet.
20200618143119_1.jpg

Cybsled

Wow, that’s a big change. Last time I played this, it was just the one solar system.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I've yet to even reach orbit lol. I used to get to the second tier of resources and lose interest.

It remains on my "games to revisit again" list though. I don't like having to make a server to multi-play.

Cybsled

Path used to be:

1) get base resources on planet
2) get warp drive stuff on moon
3) get advanced stuff from other planets

Not sure if that changed

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That's about right yea. Can make a little shoebox deathtrap small ship cheaply to fly up to the moon for some cobalt.

Then you can do small jumps to other planets in the system. The scenario I'm on there was no Neil Diamond ore on any planets so I had to find an asteroid. They improved that alot. You can use the detector like a weapon to send out a sort of sonar ping.

I still have the most fun when there's some sort of disaster and I'm stranded somewhere. They still have a long way to go on the "game" side of things, but they are definitely working on it. There's a few new factions with the last update, though I haven't run into any of them yet.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Some awesome memories were had on a PvP server in this game, back when ships were broken as fuck and you'd just create flying boxes like 12 walls deep. The server had sort of a "faction" thing laid out that you had to declare at start. There were 3 different ones, each starting in their own "section" and then a 4th, mercenary faction that could start wherever(except the planets with super rare resources).

It's impressive that the devs are still updating this frequently, as I haven't really played in 4-5ish years.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
New DLC dropped.

Was the base game ever really finished? It was fun, I own it, but janky as fuck.

And I wanted to play it with a friend but you needed to rent a server to do it, and that was a nope for me.